Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With its high cap frame, long slide, 6” heavy barrel and 17 rounds onboard, it weighs 3-1/2 pounds:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’ve told people that the dust cover rail is really for attaching the wheels. But, a clamp-on bipod actually can be a useful attachment:

With the bipod, open sights and Winchester 175gr. Silvertips at 50 yards:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]That was the first five shots with the Silvertips. Darned low shot ruined an otherwise outstanding group. I simply didn’t have enough of that excellent ammo to justify trying a second group.

It now wears a Burris FastFire 3:

That should hopefully tighten things up at 50 yards. We’ll see…

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've got the single-stack version of that pistol. It's an excellent shooter, with an excellent trigger straight out of the box. My only real beef with it, is that damnable rail, which makes it hard to find a decent field holster for it. It shoots really well, and recoil is "soft", compared to 5" 1911s.

It's a nice enough pistol, but I'd like it better without that rail.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I love the way those feel. That grip fits my hand perfectly. Do they compare favorably to a Tisas? Or any other 1911 double stack for that matter?

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey Chipy, which mount is that for your red dot?

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZtwins
Hey Chipy, which mount is that for your red dot?
That mount is the EGW LPA model for Burris FastFire. (I apologize for doing exactly what I dislike others doing: using initials for a company as if everyone should know what they mean. EGW is Evolution Gun Works of Quakertown, PA. LPA is simply LPA ‘cause I don’t know what it stands for, if anything.)

Last edited by Exchipy; 03/03/24.

IC B2

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
There’s a somewhat uncomplimentary story behind my acquisition of that pistol, and how it became infamously known as the “Bickford Special.” Should you happen to be sufficiently bored enough to actually wanna hear it, send a PM.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I want one

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
😎👍

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I love the way those feel. That grip fits my hand perfectly. Do they compare favorably to a Tisas? Or any other 1911 double stack for that matter?

The Tisas double-stack guns haven't been out long enough for a decent comparison, but there are significant differences between the types. The RIAs are set up more like the old Para Ordnance pistols (and uses their magazines) while the Tisas pistols are more like STI or Staccato pistols (and uses those magazines). The P-O guns are pretty well-known at this point, while the Tisas seem to be almost identical to the STI/Staccato, which are also pretty well-known now.

I am the only one I know of, who has a Tisas double-stack pistol, and I've only had it for three weeks, which is hardly long enough to form a solid opinion. I've shot about 450 rounds thru it so far, and it's been flawless, AT THIS POINT, and it's a good-shooting pistol, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, out of the box. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, and then we'll see how I like it. A buddy has offered me some EGW internals to get the trigger up to snuff.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

The Tisas double-stack guns haven't been out long enough for a decent comparison, but there are significant differences between the types. The RIAs are set up more like the old Para Ordnance pistols (and uses their magazines) while the Tisas pistols are more like STI or Staccato pistols (and uses those magazines). The P-O guns are pretty well-known at this point, while the Tisas seem to be almost identical to the STI/Staccato, which are also pretty well-known now.

I am the only one I know of, who has a Tisas double-stack pistol, and I've only had it for three weeks, which is hardly long enough to form a solid opinion. I've shot about 450 rounds thru it so far, and it's been flawless, AT THIS POINT, and it's a good-shooting pistol, but the trigger leaves a lot to be desired, out of the box. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, and then we'll see how I like it. A buddy has offered me some EGW internals to get the trigger up to snuff.

Interesting ratsmacker, Let us know how it comes out. Oh, and pics, of course!

IC B3

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
To achieve a pretty darn good trigger pull on the stock RIA pistol, the factory trigger’s over travel screw is tightened to the minimum necessary for the sear to positively clear the hammer notches when the trigger is held all the way back. Then, if a trigger pull scale is available, the sear and disconnector tines of the sear spring can be carefully bent (the way the assemblers do at the factory), adjusting their tension, until the desired pull weight (strongly recommended to be no less than 3 pounds, preferably 4) has been reliably achieved. The factory trigger pull specs dictate that the trigger not release the hammer while holding a 4 pound weight, but release the hammer with a 6 pound weight. The factory assemblers do not set minimum over travel. With minimum over travel set, the resulting trigger pull will feel much lighter than its actual poundage.

The Tisas trigger does not appear to have over travel adjustment capability, though the sear spring should be adjustable for weight of pull.

With reasonably well made guts from the factory, substitutions should not really be necessary, if the over travel and pull weight are properly adjusted.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

Interesting ratsmacker, Let us know how it comes out. Oh, and pics, of course!

Went to my buddy's house this AM, and we dropped the trigger from 5.5lbs down to about 3.4lbs. Pics I cannot do, but it's just like any of the other Tisas Carry B9R DS pistols (except mine now has a stainless hammer on it). I doubt we spent more than an hour on it, swapping out a few minor parts from factory to EGW stuff. He dragged out a fistful of his double-stack pistols (all of them custom and high $$$$ stuff). His triggers are about 1.5lb., but his are full-on custom pieces and SUPER nice.
Still, when I left, he was raving that he was gonna buy one of the Tisas pistols, because for $700 he thought it couldn't be beaten with a heavy stick.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I’ve Never been overly impressed with any RIA product, and the rail they added to it would be a no go for me.
Or for that matter, the Para Ordnance pistol they copied.
Have a couple of friends that have their single stack 10 mm 1911’s and they like them, though.

I’ll pass and wait till Tisa comes out with a double stacked 10mm.
The quality of Tisa’s fit and machining has been outstanding and the accuracy and reliability surpass many Colt 1911’s I’ve owned over the years.
Not to mention there prices which easily beats any current 1911 manufacturers by far.

And my ugly ass old Glock 20 in 10mm has been Uber reliable for YEARS, never bobbling or jamming once.
And is as accurate as any 1911 I own, except for a Les Baer. It’ll suffice for now.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/05/24.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I’ve Never been overly impressed with any RIA product, and the rail they added to it would be a no go for me.
Have a couple of friends that have their single stack 10 mm 1911’s and they like them, though.

The quality of Tisa’s fit and machining has been outstanding and the accuracy and reliability surpass many Colt 1911’s I’ve owned over the years.
Not to mention there prices which easily beats any current 1911 manufacturers by far.

And my ugly ass old Glock 20 in 10mm has been Uber reliable for YEARS, never bobbling or jamming once.
And is as accurate as any 1911 I own, except for a Les Baer. It’ll suffice for now.

You CAN hold your breath on this one, it IS coming in 10mm, probably some time this year, according to Tisas' media people. And in .45, but right now, 9mm only.

Attached Images
TISAS_12500006_1__92925.webp (29.76 KB, 23 downloads)
SHA1: dc29c280e1066597da26f6dc90f962811ec3db8e

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I like OP's 10mm. Like you, I have a Glock, this one with an RMR. I did get high irons to co-witness the RMR. I'm not so good at finding the dot, probably need practice. But the co-witness works. This one has a KKM barrel with cut rifling, the grip was worked over by Sinner Mass Fabrication in San Antonio. I never did like the finger grooves; I like this set up better. My local smith, who is a LEO SWAT Sniper, Glock Armory trained smith, did a trigger job. I had bought an aftermarket trigger, sent it back, his factory trigger job was better. OP's 1911 trigger is gonna be better; but this one not bad for a Glock.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You CAN hold your breath on this one, it IS coming in 10mm, probably some time this year, according to Tisas' media people. And in .45, but right now, 9mm only.

Thanks for the heads up!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Beast got a bit of range time today for sighting in its FastFire, as the weather was fairly cooperative.

Started out shooting A-USA 180 FMJ ammo. Though they got me onto the paper at 50 yards, the bullets didn’t show much interest in landing particularly close to each other. When I switched to loads I had assembled for my Colt Delta Elite maybe 20 years ago, with 180gr Sierra JHPs and AA#7 at 1280 fps, things started looking much better, with four outa five within about 3”, after a sight adjustment following the first shot. Trouble was, I ran out of time and had to quit. Too many guns needed shooting today.

The next try will be with cast bullet loads, after the bore has been thoroughly cleaned of copper.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like that a lot! I’ve been looking for a 19mm long slide TRP….but this one is nice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Exchipy
The Beast got a bit of range time today for sighting in its FastFire, as the weather was fairly cooperative.

Started out shooting A-USA 180 FMJ ammo. Though they got me onto the paper at 50 yards, the bullets didn’t show much interest in landing particularly close to each other. When I switched to loads I had assembled for my Colt Delta Elite maybe 20 years ago, with 180gr Sierra JHPs and AA#7 at 1280 fps, things started looking much better, with four outa five within about 3”, after a sight adjustment following the first shot. Trouble was, I ran out of time and had to quit. Too many guns needed shooting today.

The next try will be with cast bullet loads, after the bore has been thoroughly cleaned of copper.

I don't get to go to the range often. When I do, I take a lot of different guns and rarely get quality time with any of them. Where do you shoot?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 16,890 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,191
Posts18,543,406
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.