Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
There's is nothing weird about that. This just shows how little the average hunter understands terminal ballistics

1 member likes this: BigNate
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by memtb
Pretty unusual for an interlock…..especially at .308 Win. velocities. Well, at least for the interlocks of old, maybe they ain’t what they used to be. memtb

You are completely retarded. Fyi

1 member likes this: anothergun
P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
There's is nothing weird about that. This just shows how little the average hunter understands terminal ballistics

Tell us all about it. lol.

2 members like this: anothergun, memtb
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

I just did dumbazz. Let's not forget, you thought it was weird. It's not.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P

What isn’t?

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

What isn’t?

Exactly lol

P
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Jackson. You need to shoot at least something to have some credibility. Have you done that? I sure see a lot of talk.

Q
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Q
And here I was thinking that “multiple wound channels” and “breaking up after X amount of penetration” were desirable features on some bullets. 😉

The bullet just has to reach the animal’s vitals and inflict significant damage on them. It’s only a “failure” if the bullet doesn’t reach the vitals and doesn’t inflict significant damage on the vitals. On thin-skinned game under 300 pounds, almost any cup-and-core bullet weighing at least 55 grains with an impact velocity of ~1800 FPS should do the job. Using bigger bullets and/or higher impact velocity provides more flexibility in shot placement (e.g. enables shoulder shots or quarter facing shots as opposed to broadside or quarter rear shots), but isn’t a substitute for hitting the vitals.

By all means, break out the Partitions and A-Frames on larger animals, but they are far from necessary on deer.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jackson. You need to shoot at least something to have some credibility. Have you done that? I sure see a lot of talk.

Yes I have...go figure.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I had the same thing happen with 120g NBT on a whitetail deer at 35 yards. Caliber was .284 Win at 3200fps MV.

Me too. Here's a pic of a 308 150gr NBT I found poking out of the off side shoulder on a nice WT Doe that my Daughter shot at 100yds. she went about 15-20 yds and fell over.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Not complaining, Dead is Dead.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What exactly would the SD of this be?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

get the calibers out, the grains scale, and the calculator...you can math that it out yourself lol

but

because we don't have terminal ballistics calculators to rival our inflight ballistics calculators yet...you have to imagine the starting sd...from the hide to where it stops and it's rate of change (or dumping of work) and then you can actually measure the finished sd on many bullets, you can come up with a sd reduction rate, energy reduction rates...per inch....if you want....we aren't there yet in standardizing the swimming ballistics to build calculators from

so you have to use your imagination, if you have one haha wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by memtb
pathfinder76 - I realize that you never called it a failure, and have received some comments pertaining to recovered bullets, failed or not failed bullets, exits, ect.

But, if any bullet that I shoot and recover that looks like that…..it is a “failed” bullet in my opinion!

There, I said it……let the flaming/torching begin! memtb

yeah, people seem to think that, while standing over dead animals....it's pretty normal, but it's not actually the truth, heck people knew that covid was a scam and the shots were not 100% safe and effective but most did not.....ain't no thing but a chicken wing, feel however you like about it....that's how cup and cores work, and they drop sh1t and shorter recovery sh1t more than the tough delayed expansion and mono bullets, some guys like tracking, some guys want 2 holes, some guys didn't have enough starting sd and drove cup and cores too fast so think they don't work....but they work better than anything when you slow them down for game intended and start with enough sd to begin with as you're going to shed it twice as fast....I'll take the internal work all day long and burn less powder doing it, much happier making the switch to that formula, walk right up to everything

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m just simply going to go to the 130gr Barnes TTSX and be done with it.

be good to see your thoughts after a good trial? they will work, saw a monster bull elk fold up from that combo and I think around 3-400 yards, you guys shoot straight though so it really doesn't matter, I don't think you're going to notice much difference, your more likely to do some tracking though with the mono's if they start doing half their work in the hillside and just poking holes...

cue the 560 yard bull elk lol....again...good shooting, you hit him anywhere else and your looking for drops lol...the insurance on that one would be eld-m type all day long and then anywhere in the boiler will get more damage than that 130 ttsx at 2000 fps impact likely barely opening up at all

anyway, I predict you won't see much difference as you guys tend to shoot straight and that's going to hide the difference between bullet constructions, I know of guys who went barnes route and have finally commented on getting tired of things not dying on the right side of the fence....so you can have your issues lol, and they migrate back to the dump more over shorter travel internally models wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a rather large inventory of Barnes TSX's and TTSX's along with a ton of A-Max's. They simply work for me, and I can't justify buying any of the newer stuff like Hammer, as good as it may be. I have enough to outlast me, at the rate I'm using them up. The A-Max's work extremely well, as most bullets do, with good placement.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SD is a rather meaningless designator,because it doesn’t take projectile integrity or aerodynamics into consideration. Hint.

Just sayin’…………….

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
SD is a rather meaningless designator,because it doesn’t take projectile integrity or aerodynamics into consideration. Hint.

Just sayin’…………….

bro, you have proven that this other level of terminal ballistics discussion is way over your head....but you just can't help insert your fat nose where it doesn't belong eh? stay in your lane, keep peddling your prs 'wares' over in the hunting optics section, your understanding of terminal ballistics is next to none, the only reason you have hunting success is because you're all obsessed about high bc prs type target performance which is 'IN-FLIGHT BALLISTICS"...which lucky for you they DO HAVE calculators for lol...grab your notepad....you're gonna need it for what comes next....you don't realize that equals high sd improved terminal performance....you don't get that math bro....stay in your lane, it's pure coincidence that your lane ends up being a terminal ballistics performance win also

imagine that, aero dynamics is similar to hydro dynamics.......what you can't seem to wrap your little head around though is we shoot variable sd bullets......ie; they change as soon as the swimming starts, and you can't see the start/end and travel portions of that and what it means, you can't visualize it....so you have a hard time starting to talk about it, you would need a calculator for this conversation bro.....they don't make it yet, so if you lack imagination or ability to visualize what comes next.....then you should realize when maybe it's time to bite your lip

I tried to help you on this previously but your quite a stubborn feller lol....get back to peddling the wrong gear for the wrong thing....best of luck to ya, you can't play at this level.

so...do the bullets change during inflight ballistics? no....pretty easy to math that and build calculators for it right? right....turns windbags like stick into internet superstars lol

but terminal (hydro) ballistics....all the bullet does is change....and we don't measure any of it to make objective or useful, no calculators yet, no standardized testing methods of the bullets yet.....it is 100% subjective, we shoot variable sd bullets that do have a finished sd...we don't measure, we don't measure the travel distance to produce a rate at which to expect the sd to diminish, we don't then show that travel distance and how many ft/lbs of energy are dumping per inch along that travel.....no one can see the gold standards we know that work to get baseline rates to compare all others against.....we are a solid 25 years behind in this development as compared to INFLIGHT BALLISTICS!

try to keep up stick...this is not your lane

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/14/24.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
And here I was thinking that “multiple wound channels” and “breaking up after X amount of penetration” were desirable features on some bullets. 😉

The bullet just has to reach the animal’s vitals and inflict significant damage on them. It’s only a “failure” if the bullet doesn’t reach the vitals and doesn’t inflict significant damage on the vitals. On thin-skinned game under 300 pounds, almost any cup-and-core bullet weighing at least 55 grains with an impact velocity of ~1800 FPS should do the job. Using bigger bullets and/or higher impact velocity provides more flexibility in shot placement (e.g. enables shoulder shots or quarter facing shots as opposed to broadside or quarter rear shots), but isn’t a substitute for hitting the vitals.

By all means, break out the Partitions and A-Frames on larger animals, but they are far from necessary on deer.

^^^ This…….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Read this twice, and by "variable SD" you mean, since the projectile flattens on impact, the SD decreases as it moves through the target, right?

Which is both true and logical.

Stick is focused on SD and BC in flight, which enables the missile/bullet to impact the target and projectile integrity which dictates how the projectile will deform on impact

Which brings us to solids, which maintain form through the target, "dump" little in the way of energy or "energy transfer" but make two caliber sized holes in the target.

Is that where the discussion is at now?

Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
SD is a rather meaningless designator, because it doesn’t take projectile integrity or aerodynamics into consideration. Hint.

Just sayin’…………….

bro, you have proven that this other level of terminal ballistics discussion is way over your head....but you just can't help insert your fat nose where it doesn't belong eh? stay in your lane, keep peddling your prs 'wares' over in the hunting optics section, your understanding of terminal ballistics is next to none, the only reason you have hunting success is because you're all obsessed about high bc prs type target performance which is 'IN-FLIGHT BALLISTICS"...which lucky for you they DO HAVE calculators for lol...grab your notepad....you're gonna need it for what comes next....you don't realize that equals high sd improved terminal performance....you don't get that math bro....stay in your lane, it's pure coincidence that your lane ends up being a terminal ballistics performance win also

imagine that, aero dynamics is similar to hydro dynamics.......what you can't seem to wrap your little head around though is we shoot variable sd bullets......ie; they change as soon as the swimming starts, and you can't see the start/end and travel portions of that and what it means, you can't visualize it....so you have a hard time starting to talk about it, you would need a calculator for this conversation bro.....they don't make it yet, so if you lack imagination or ability to visualize what comes next.....then you should realize when maybe it's time to bite your lip

I tried to help you on this previously but your quite a stubborn feller lol....get back to peddling the wrong gear for the wrong thing....best of luck to ya, you can't play at this level.

so...do the bullets change during inflight ballistics? no....pretty easy to math that and build calculators for it right? right....turns windbags like stick into internet superstars lol

but terminal (hydro) ballistics....all the bullet does is change....and we don't measure any of it to make objective or useful, no calculators yet, no standardized testing methods of the bullets yet.....it is 100% subjective, we shoot variable sd bullets that do have a finished sd...we don't measure, we don't measure the travel distance to produce a rate at which to expect the sd to diminish, we don't then show that travel distance and how many ft/lbs of energy are dumping per inch along that travel.....no one can see the gold standards we know that work to get baseline rates to compare all others against.....we are a solid 25 years behind in this development as compared to INFLIGHT BALLISTICS!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Read this twice, and by "variable SD" you mean, since the projectile flattens on impact, the SD decreases as it moves through the target, right?

Which is both true and logical.

Stick is focused on SD and BC in flight, which enables the missile/bullet to impact the target and projectile integrity which dictates how the projectile will deform on impact

Which brings us to solids, which maintain form through the target, "dump" little in the way of energy or "energy transfer" but make two caliber sized holes in the target.

Is that where the discussion is at now?

Originally Posted by stinkycoyote
SD is a rather meaningless designator, because it doesn’t take projectile integrity or aerodynamics into consideration. Hint.

Just sayin’…………….

yes Sir...thank you for actually reading and processing and not blindly reacting largely from emotions smile

this is the way

look up definition of SD, frontal area by mass and the higher it is...the deeper it penetrates for a given impact velocity, ie; you can have a spear or a sledge hammer the exact same weight....but one, will only piss you off when hit with it in the chest and the other will go through you and two buddies standing behind you when hit with it....and likely kill all three of you, where the sledge hammer didn't even kill one

neither of those will change shape inflight or swimming through bodies.....but our bullets do, by the time they stop swimming....they started out looking like the spear....but end up looking like the the sledge hammer when it's over....two completely different SD's.......that's what we hunt with, and what happens between those two SD's is what we argue about to no end....60-70 page threads of subjective interpretations....

one day, the goal is, to create the calculators to make this topic as objective as the inflight ballistics topic is....calculators that can show everyone what to expect from any given option...

so a bullet starts out with a pretty small frontal area and a lot of mass....gets a certain SD number.....lets say it is like a barnes or a fusion and essential keeps the same mass but opens up to 3x the frontal area....well....that SD number so now so much lower, how do we measure that change and over what distance etc.? a solid doesn't change enough regardless of inflight or swimming....

I sure hope people start doing what you did and ask some questions and think this through....look up the definition of Sectional Density etc....it's a cool topic, we're just gonna need to get bloody to go through the wall to get to the next level on this part of the bullet flight lol....hydro dynamics with a projectile that changes it's shape through the hydro...

Last edited by stinkycoyote; 05/14/24.
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 16,914 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,191
Posts18,543,406
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.