24hourcampfire.com
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: The Birds Poconojack 03/27/24
Listen to ‘Sweetheart of the Rodeo’ and ‘The Notorious Byrd Brothers’ regularly
43 1,893 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Short cycling AR-15 TWR 03/27/24
There is no “one way” when dealing with the general public. The MIL got as close as you can get by using a set pressured ammo and making sure it runs in the +120 to -20 degrees.

With folks like me burning as much powder as I can then you have folks using the cheapest (weakest) stuff they can find, it’s hard to set up a gun to run both equally well.

Over gassing one just to appease the guys running cheap ammo won’t work with guys that use good ammo and expect a smoother shooting gun. Can or not.
52 4,084 more...
Upland Game Jump to new posts
Re: eating pigeon Blackheart 03/27/24
Originally Posted by battue
Who has eaten Groundhogs? Wasn't all that rare at my Grandparents to have roasted Groundhog with gravy, potatoes and carrots. I think it would beat Pigeon easily.
I've eaten many woodchucks. The young of the year are pretty good. Do you still have many woodchucks in your area ?
14 802 more...
IC B2
Re: Bridge Collapse Was A Cyber Attack On Critical Infrastructure Corridor. AKwolverine 03/27/24
Originally Posted by rte
Originally Posted by cfran
Get a grip

If I had to choose who is more credible,I would most certainly choose someone who has a considerable amount of documented work in this area,than someone on the internet.

Oh, she’s a master captain?

lol
258 12,059 more...
Re: The pillow guy Partsman 03/27/24
Yep you got this loser pegged, started by trying to sell stuff and now is showing his/her true Color’s, neither wanted or needed here.
Typical Biden voter and traitor to America🤡
89 4,276 more...
Alaska Jump to new posts
Re: Does Alaska have a "RED FLAG" law......?? akpls 03/27/24
HB162 and SB229 concerning "Gun Violence Protective Orders" were both filed this session. I haven't read the detailed wording of these bills, but the summary points towards these being "Red Flag" laws. Fortunately, neither seem to be gaining any traction in committee.
9 752 more...
Deer Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Lead 44 mag for whitetail ratsmacker 03/27/24
Originally Posted by szihn
I had a Browning 92 in 44 mag and it would never feed a SWC. The classic Keith bullets in 240 or heavier made an overall length too long to clear the magazine. Other SWCs would catch on the bullet's shoulders and jam up.
So I am not sure if the Rossi copy of the Winchester M92 is going to be any better.

That said, I have killed a pretty large number of deer as well as elk and bears with SWC and LBT lead bullet all fired from revolvers and all (so far) and been 1 shot kills with most falling fairly quickly. I have also killed many ranch animals (horses and cattle) with my 44 magnum handguns and again I have had excellent success. So if you are going to use a cast bullet in the lever action you may need a mold that makes a bullet that has no sharp shoulder. An LBT type wide flat nose Gas Checked type is the best, but the cannelure has to set the bullet inside the case deep enough to feed.

If you get a mold to cast a bullet that is compatible with the rifle you'll have no problems at all killing deer

My Rossi wouldn't feed Keith bullets in Magnum cases (too long), but if I loaded Keith bullets in .44 Special cases, it fed quite well. That was in two Rossi's I had (20" and a 16"). I do NOT know if they'd feed in the next Rossi, but in my two carbines, they worked like a champ. I had quit casting by that time, though, and mostly used commercially cast RNFP for fun shooting. I usually got 4" groups at 100 yards with 240 XTPs with AA#9, and they killed deer really dead.
17 1,647 more...
Upland Game Jump to new posts
Re: eating pigeon Blackheart 03/27/24
I've eaten pigeons. They taste just like doves to me.
14 802 more...
Re: The Birds 10gaugemag 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Speaking of Starlings. Oh geeze I hate starlings.

This bugger is still warm. Victim to my newly sighted in 22 mag.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Get em on the ground and put the Fireball to em.
43 1,893 more...
Re: Hey, kaywoodie! wabigoon 03/27/24
When I smoked a pipe, and rolled cigarettes, mostly it was Velvet I used.
34 1,496 more...
IC B3
Re: Bridge Collapse Was A Cyber Attack On Critical Infrastructure Corridor. rte 03/27/24
Originally Posted by cfran
Get a grip

If I had to choose who is more credible,I would most certainly choose someone who has a considerable amount of documented work in this area,than someone on the internet.
258 12,059 more...
Handguns Jump to new posts
Re: Glock 34 MOS Jim in Idaho 03/27/24
Had both a 34 Gen 5 MOS and a Model 17 Gen 5, non-MOS.

Trigger pull and mechanical accuracy were pretty much same same. The main difference is the 34 has a bit more weight up front to lessen felt recoil/muzzle jump. It's not a lot but shooting them side by side it's definitely a softer feeling recoil.

Fwiw, I no longer have any Glocks and have replaced them with S&W M&P 2.0's, a 4.25" model and a 5". Nothing really against the Glocks, just personal preference. They fit my hand better, and while you can always replace a Glock trigger I liked the OEM flat triggers on the new Smiths better.
11 520 more...
Re: The Birds Jim_Conrad 03/27/24
Speaking of Starlings. Oh geeze I hate starlings.

This bugger is still warm. Victim to my newly sighted in 22 mag.

43 1,893 more...
Mausers and Military Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: 1903 Springfield bolt question iskra 03/27/24
Concerning Springfield 1903 & 1903A3 Bolt. There's never been a " safety recall" so to speak concerning the Springfield Bolts themselves as far as I know! Maybe when they have "airbags" & no inference to members of this Forum including me! smile Springfields as a wider mauser pattern genre, such locking surfaces on receivers are some few millimetres thick. The locking lugs abutting surface are considerably thicker and the inner striker hole is reflects a minimal compromise of that strength. Bolts for their surface locking area are considerably stronger than receivers, functionally a "shell". The termed "safety lug was intended as just that! Never to precisely abut in contact with the aft receiver bridge. Such would require an unnecessary dimension of precision. When the ultimate faliure of the bolt in shear, it was the "seatbelt". Krags functioned well with one locking lug altoether if in somewhat lesser pressure range. The point of a one "parachute" safety locking lug adequate where the forces dimenshed by predicate of bolt failure bleeding off most aft momentum. Such feature along with gas relief vents directing failure generated gasses away from the shooter face areas.

MGen Julia Hatcher, in his namesake "Notebook", found the "double heat treated" receiver the stronger of such and the later Nickel Steel receivers. Don't argue with me! Read the book. That said, the Nickel Steel became the preferred receiver material. I believe for the reason of manufacturing ease and greater tolerance to heat treating. The latter simply my take.
The 1917 Enfield, 1903 Springfields and many of the mauser 98 pattern variants have proven over decades to be entirely safe for normal pressures in an era when 50k would have been higher than normal but well within "the envelope". Where we get into trouble with handloads, etc.,, isn't so much in hot loads, but more often in overloads combined with such as bore obstructions, wrong diameter projectiles, extremely poor maintenance or incorrect parts/fitment issues arise. My belief most of the Twentieth Century mauser pattern rifles are sufficiently strong, of ultimate "worst case reasonably to be contemplated" is where the gun is has done its duty if rendered unusable as we can yet walk away. Add shooting glasses to that formula.
Of the original question, I remain without clear understanding per description. Perhaps Rockwell surface hardness test marks???

Just another wordy... as noted, my take!
Best!
John
13 1,175 more...
Re: Glock 34 MOS cra1948 03/27/24
To add, if I were only going to use a gun for steel, I’d definitely go with the 34 over a 17
11 520 more...
Re: The Birds ironbender 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by ironbender
Got a pair of ravens out behind the house remodeling last years cottage. I assume samepair. They’re fun to watch.
Link?
Personal communication
43 1,893 more...
Re: The pillow guy las 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Valsdad
New here?

Operating under another name?

Mr Busse, is that you?

Newbies here get a standardized welcome..................................

GFY

Looks like. Same style, same butt-hurt, same BS.
89 4,276 more...
Re: Glock 34 MOS cra1948 03/27/24
I have had a 34 Gen5 MOS for a couple of years now. I got it intending to shoot steel and USPSA but life has gotten to busy and I’m lucky to make an IDPA match every month (for which the 34 is too big.) I’ve only shot it a little, but my impressions: It’s a Glock. The trigger is pretty good for a box stock Glock trigger, very shootable. The finger grooves are gone, a good thing. Other than that, all I can say is it’s a Glock.

I did provide it one day for a bunch of students, all new shooters, to use at an event we had at the shooting center here on campus. All liked it and no problems, so there’s that.

Sorry I can’t give a more comprehensive report than that.
11 520 more...
Re: Bridge Collapse Was A Cyber Attack On Critical Infrastructure Corridor. smokepole 03/27/24
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Jagnoff just smoked a cigarette.

I think you meant "spliff."
258 12,059 more...
Re: Bridge Collapse Was A Cyber Attack On Critical Infrastructure Corridor. rte 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Teal
She's full of crap.

It's a 13 minute vid and you posted your comment after only 5 minutes.

Did you even watch the video?
258 12,059 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Reaction rod for 6.5 Grendel kk alaska 03/27/24
Yes LH bolt and LH Receiver still not functioning correctly need to retest bolt gas rings were not spaced correctly all were in line?
17 1,546 more...
Long Range Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Remington 700 varmint - Is this a good long range rifle? 10gaugemag 03/27/24
How far out are you talking?

The 270 will get pretty far as easily as the 308.
10 572 more...
Re: The Birds Springcove 03/27/24
Robins showed up a week ago. Saw a few Starlings this past weekend. Hopefully it means better weather soon.
43 1,893 more...
Re: Did anyone like Linda Ronstadt ?? rmb721 03/27/24
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by atvalaska
And her choice and husbands like that California governor was just wonderful

Ronstadt never married.
Most likely never found True Love. Sad.

Consider the Liberal dating pool.

[Linked Image from my.evilmilk.com]

GR

Picture looks like Biden's picks for government jobs.
91 6,798 more...
Re: Hey, kaywoodie! kaywoodie 03/27/24
My favorite pipe at events! Really starts the conversations!

34 1,496 more...
Page 210 of 232 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 231 232
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 64 invisible), 3,140 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,745
Posts18,401,279
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.