24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Remington Fans Jump to new posts
Re: 742 woodmaster Gojoe Yesterday at 09:47 PM
I have my Dad"a 742 in 308 win. He bought it in 1972-3. He used it as his one hunting rifle. I have shot it and it shoots well. I have thought of hunting with it. But after reading on the web, I worry that it will break. So an occasional trip to the range with mild hand loads and back in the safe.
6 414 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: If Trump is elected what are his first moves Crash_Pad Yesterday at 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rickt300
I think it will have to be the removal and replacement of Wray and the CIA director Burns and Garland. Then the arrests of all who worked to suppress political speech on social media. DHS would face similar actions, CISA also. Since Trump would have to use the DOJ to pull off much of this, none of whom have shown the slightest hint of integrity I don't see it happening. His first four years were interfered with to an incredible degree, I see this happening again. For this single reason I don't see the election of Trump as anything but the ignition of unrest.

Anyone with a more positive view? Care to share it?

The Election is for President, not Grand Emperor King and Dictator for Life.
Yes, President - and the needed correction of accrued negative drift and corruption is the JOB of the President. The noted work does not at all signify a role as "Grand Emperor King and Dictator for Life."

If the President can get it right during the upcoming 4 year term, those next elected should be held accountable for sustenance of a democratic republic based on Constitutional values and precepts. No Emperor needed - just the vigilance and sensible voting of the citizenry.

We live in a Republic with a president of limited powers. Even if we, hold on to The House, he still has to contend with RINO's there, and even in the best of scenarios it's unlikely we'll get 60 in the Senate, which will further limit his power to hold those you mentioned accountable.
We do not live in a Republic! We are serfs on globalist oligarchs’ estates. We have heroic legends. Oh, and we can vote!
111 3,746 more...
Knives and Blades Jump to new posts
Ingram MagnaCut x2 longarm Yesterday at 09:44 PM
A couple of recent knives from Gene. Both MagnaCut. First is a #1 Drop Point with jigged camel bone scales, the second a Semi with tapered tang and ivory G10.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cheers, Mr Ingram!

15 547 more...
IC B2
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:43 PM
78,023 14,595,954 more...
Re: Baboon Hunting - This looks like a blast! AcesNeights Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by Mbogo2106
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve always wanted to do that…ever since reading Ruark and his full auto story I’ve thought it would be a blast. They wise up faster than the baboons in Chicago too. 😂

Capstick. Not Ruark

Correct….my mistake. I’ve read so much that I forgot it all. 😀
25 2,529 more...
Re: “it’s Don Shipley, bro” 12344mag Yesterday at 09:42 PM
A group of real Seals need to pay that man a visit, and go over old times.........
4 658 more...
Predators and Varmints Jump to new posts
Re: Working up a load for .22-250 bsa1917hunter Yesterday at 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Q_Sertorius
A few months ago, I picked up an almost finished, apparently never fired FN-action, custom .22-250. With her brand new 12x SWFA scope, bipod, and sling, she's a svelte 13.8 pounds with a 26" barrel. I've attached a picture below. The price, even after finishing her up and putting a scope on her, was right. That's all there is to say about that. It's time to sight her in and then work up some handloads. Part of the reason I got this rifle was to experiment with mid-range shooting and start using a scope with turret dials for the first time in my life. I have been very successful using Kentucky windage for hunting, but it does sometimes get a bit hard to make the right holdover or offset at longer ranges, so I want to develop my skills in that regard. I'm only planning to shoot ground hogs and targets (and any coyotes that happen to come out in broad daylight while doing the same) out to 600 yards, so I don't think I need to consider any of the heavy bullets, but I would like to better understand my rifle so I can have the right stuff on hand when I start experimenting. And, as you can see, she's pretty.

As far as I can tell, after measuring it several times, she has a 1-14 twist barrel, which means she was designed to shoot very light bullets, right? That is my understanding after reading this: https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/22-250-twist-rate-chart/#:~:text=For%20.,except%20the%20most%20heavy%20cartridges.

Is the chart correct that I should expect the best results from bullets 50 grains and under?

If so, are there any bullets which people particularly recommend? Ground hogs aren't particularly hard to kill as long as you hit them anywhere in the body, but I would like something that gives accurate results as far out as possible.

I have heard of light bullets tearing themselves to pieces if fired in too fast a twist (I don't think I will have that problem). I have also heard of massive instability issues when using the wrong bullet weights in .22 caliber rifles.

I have also read the following on here:

Originally Posted by Direct_Drive
The formula is to stay under 300,000 RPM
MV x 720 ÷ Twist = Bullet RPM

From: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...342200/re-new-22-250-barrel#Post19342200

As far as I can tell, a bullet would have to be going ~5800 FPS in a 1-14 barrel to get close to 300,000 RPM. For reference, the factory loads I picked up for sighting in the rifle are Hornady 50-grain VMAX at 3800 FPS. Clearly no issues there. But that cannot be the entire story, right? Where does this 300,000 RPM come from? Where does 720 come from? Just trying to understand the science behind the equation so I can gain greater understanding.

I'm also trying to understand the relationship between twist rate and bullet length, because that must play some role, right? A 55-grain all copper bullet is longer than a 55-grain lead cored bullet. Surely that plays a role in the stability to some extent, right?

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

It really depends on the length of the bullet. Generally most bullet manufactures load manuals will say if a certain twist rate is not recommended for a certain bullet. In the Hornady manual, for example, it says a 53gr V-max will not stabilize in a 1 in 14" twist barrel. A lot of that will depend on your altitude. Where I shoot (above 5,000') they stabilize just fine in every 14 twist rifle I own, so I use the hell out of them. If you look, that bullet also has a higher BC than other bullets in that range. Even higher than a 60gr and 55gr V-max. I'd buy one box of those and give them a whirl. If it does stabilize, work up a good load and don't look back. I hate to say it, but you want to shoot out to 600 yards, your options are limited with that twist rate. I've done it with the 53 V-max, and it does alright, but I'd much rather be shooting a 77, 80 or 88gr pill. Something you just can't do with your particular rifle. Here's an example of what one of mine will do with that bullet:

400 yards:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

600 yards:
3 301 more...
Re: If Trump is elected what are his first moves Crash_Pad Yesterday at 09:42 PM
He backed the $95 Billion bill. Shook hands with “MAGA Mike.” Seriously?
111 3,746 more...
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Savage Collectors Jump to new posts
Re: 375 Brush Gun - Rescue! BMT Yesterday at 09:40 PM
So what’s the answer?

This one has me curious.

Always wanted a .375 never got around to it.

Passed on a Ruger #3 in .375 years ago—woulda, coulda, shoulda.

BMT
23 2,008 more...
IC B3
Re: Podcast Fishnnut1 Yesterday at 09:39 PM
The Upland Project, GDIY and Mike Rowe.
3 319 more...
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:38 PM
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: 22 Creedmoor "which bullet" Woodhits Yesterday at 09:33 PM
Derrick at Horizon has more experience with the cartridge than anyone as swears by the ELD-X. I didn't get any ELD-X bullets until the last week of deer season so I didn't get to try them out on meat. My son shot a doe with the 80gr. ELD-M and her onside lung more or less vanished...

I want to try both the ELD-X as well as some monolithics out on hogs.
11 1,647 more...
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:32 PM
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: WTB-Single Stage Reloading Presses 160user Yesterday at 09:31 PM
I have a couple. What is "cheap"?
3 354 more...
Re: Baboon Hunting - This looks like a blast! jorgeI Yesterday at 09:31 PM
Been there, done that. Five hundred yards with a 300 Weahterby... smile
25 2,529 more...
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:30 PM
Canada Jump to new posts
Re: The Federal Budget HughW Yesterday at 09:29 PM
Wannabebwana - in reading that article my first thought is that PP will not have trouble identifying areas to reduce the budget and the size of those departments.

Trudeau and the Liberals just doing what they do best --- divisive favortism
11 722 more...
Re: Its meme time DMc Yesterday at 09:28 PM
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: MEC charge bars F/S rmb721 Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Pictures sent to your e-mail.

Payment instructions sent by a PM.

Charge bars are SPF.
2 233 more...
Muzzleloaders Jump to new posts
Re: Ruger 77/50 stainless with Badger 209 conversion Kmac11 Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Sounds like a great gun!! The ones that move on gunbroker go for around 400 without the 375$ conversion. Hard telling how much of that 375 you could get back. $500 would be a bargain for someone on a great deer hunting muzzy!!!
2 335 more...
Re: Baboon Hunting - This looks like a blast! Scotty Yesterday at 09:27 PM
Looks like more fun than prairie dogs.
25 2,529 more...
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Ruger American Gen 2 KenMi Yesterday at 09:27 PM
It was a hairbrained half-assed idea on their part to use the AR mags on that bolt action.

They should have just stuck to the simple polymer stack magazine like they provide on the 450. Many use those in place of the rotary mags.

They had to butcher the bolt body to get the action to work with the AR mags.
Many were hoping the Gen2 rifles would drop the AR mags. No luck.
13 1,477 more...
Re: Remember the kid with the flag on his truck? Strop10 Yesterday at 09:26 PM
Sounds like the school system hierarchy is ripe for James O'Keefe to invite out for dinner and drinks with a hidden camera.
34 3,048 more...
Page 85 of 166 1 2 83 84 85 86 87 165 166
AX24

614 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,432 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,118
Posts18,464,562
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.