24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Elk Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Elk Outfitter Recommendation John55 03/25/24
Pretty tough to find an opening with an outfitter that has really good areas to hunt, especially the ones who hunt the larger private ranches. They all have plenty of repeat hunters that come every year, and some have corporate clients that basically take their entire booking each year. Getting a spot with many of these outfits is not gonna happen for 2025, maybe look at 2026 or 2027. My son and a friend found a hunt that suited them and booked it back in 2022 for this fall. He spoke with their outfitter recently and asked about a hunt for couple others who’d like to go in 2025. Nope, already booked full.
21 2,092 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Ruger 77 tang safety Timney Trigger SenderoMan 03/25/24
Selling a used Timney trigger for a tang safety Ruger 77.

$125 shipped

PM with questions.
0 187 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: 13 Russian TU-95 Nuke capable bombers in the air now...?... Angus1895 03/25/24
I remember as a child my dad said when he was a prisoner of war in Germany he was “ de loused” at I believed a concentration camp.

But I never really followed it up …….

I can’t imagine it’s all fake?

Did they sell tin foil back then?

Was it rationed?
382 24,529 more...
IC B2
Re: Will Dabbs: 'Why Ukraine Matters' from Guns America 3/24/24 Jackson_Handy 03/25/24
Ukraine doesn't matter. That guy is a dumbaŝs
35 2,399 more...
The Lefty Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Lh copper 21 204 TjIA 03/25/24
Sticker on box
8 816 more...
Re: Russia Attack - Latest Update Hastings 03/25/24
Originally Posted by SupFoo
Regular troops from France, Germany and Poland have arrived, by rail and air, to Cherkassy, south of Kiev. A substantial force. No numbers leaked. They are being housed in schools. For all practical purposes, this is a NATO force.

That signals, “Let the games begin”. From a Russian point of view, Mr. Khinzal’s business cards are set to be in great demand.

Zero Hedge
So if this is true reckon the USA as a member of NATO considers this an attack on NATO when Russia locates these troops and kills a passel of them.

This has passed up crazy a long while back. Russia ain't going down without using what it has. The USA and western Europe isn't ready for what this can lead to.
150 11,671 more...
Re: This packaging made me LOL MontanaMarine 03/25/24
Originally Posted by SupFoo
We gonna get into the "belt with suspenders" debate?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've got an old back injury (ruptured L4/5, bulged L3/4 and L5/S1. A snug belt really aggravates things. So I use suspenders to hold up my pants, and the belt to hang stuff from.......mostly IWB holsters.
59 4,256 more...
Re: CZ 452 AMERICAN .17 HMR $600 tophorsecop 03/25/24
13 3/4"to rear edge of buttpad (either side)...13 7/8" to the midline of buttpad...pad has slight taper from the centerline to either side...to help avoid catching on shoulder as you mount the weapon?
4 653 more...
Re: BIDEN Polls - 'like seeing grandma naked' kwg020 03/25/24
None of this make any difference if the election is stolen. None of it !! The polls ask the wrong questions. They should be asking "what are you doing to prevent voter fraud and phony ballots" ??

kwg
10 1,533 more...
Re: This packaging made me LOL jackmountain 03/25/24
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Imagine if this outfit was shipping sex toys........ grin crazy

It probably would’ve showed up used!
59 4,256 more...
IC B3
Re: Solely Jo's daily schedule reduced to a daily briefing and lunch... Beretta_Shooter916 03/25/24
Thats a busy day for that senile old fugg
22 1,784 more...
Re: Are you Middle Class ? Teal 03/25/24
Median fam income here is 55k, house is 234k. Which I would gather is up quite a bit since I moved here 9 years ago. 2 bed homes are up 68% YOY and 3bed are up 26% YOY.
207 12,602 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Does anyone know what these are? bbassi 03/25/24
Originally Posted by winston67
The Lone Rangers?
I was thinking werewolf bullets 😁
17 1,587 more...
Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Re: Addressing scope mounting problem/issue bsa1917hunter 03/25/24
Originally Posted by BangPop
Originally Posted by Rapier
Interesting, I need help with a gun....no make or model, might as well be, I need help with the air. Obviously the front and rear action rings are not level under that streight edge, so they are not the same height, if square. A scope base or bases should be level and centered to the axis of the bore as mounted.
First thing you need are bases or a base for that make and model action. Forget shims or Fouxinh up a scope mount job wih epoxy.
And if the base, or bases that are for that action don't fit correctly, then what.........?

Then you modify the bases: Get them as close as humanly possible, then glass bed them to the receiver. Rough up the bottom of the bases, and use release agent on the receiver. That way the epoxy is on the bases, and the bases are fit for that rifle/receiver. After that, you shouldn't even need to lap the rings. Pretty simple, and no I would not use soda pop cans or any other kind of shim.
23 1,755 more...
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: PSA Bushnell Elite 1-4x24 10gaugemag 03/25/24
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I ordered mine 3-22-24...... Midway has only gotten to "label created" and doesn't show delivery until 4-2-24. It was the free shipping offer but but free now seems to mean pony express speed.

Since the 22nd was friday the soonest it would ship would be today. No telling with Midway, it could have shipped and they just haven't updated on their end.
29 3,794 more...
Re: Solely Jo's daily schedule reduced to a daily briefing and lunch... Hotrod_Lincoln 03/25/24
Originally Posted by gunswizard
To think that he has the nuclear launch codes ! Talk about a scary thought.

No problem there- - - - -Obummer probably handles that part of his duties, like most everything else- - - - trips to Buckingham Palace, for instance.
22 1,784 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Short cycling AR-15 MontanaMan 03/25/24
.093' on 18" barrels usually works fine................but may be marginal with some low powered ammo & cold weather. I've seen it more than once.

It's easier to deal with a little extra gas than to deal with a shortage of gas, either via an AGB or different buffers & springs.

JMHO

MM
48 3,588 more...
Re: FOR SALE: HORNADY AMMO PLANT + "Caliber Conversion" EXTRAS TO LOAD 8 PISTOL CALIBERS Sasha_and_Abby 03/25/24
Great deal for someone. I have that same setup and it rocks... once you figure it all out.
4 653 more...
Re: Are you Middle Class ? Pahntr760 03/25/24
We were right on the median income for my area last year. This year is looking better. The numbers quoted are a good bit higher than our area's median. Middle class..? I guess not, but we are happy.
207 12,602 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: Query for bore scope owners. baldhunter 03/25/24
Originally Posted by mathman
Cut to the chase: JB bore paste

This^^^^^^^

If I want to clean the copper out of my barrels,I use JB Bore Paste.I wrap a patch coated with JB paste and a little oil around a bore brush.I usually do about ten back and forth strokes down the whole length of the bore per patch.What I've noticed,a copper fouled barrel may seem tight from the throat to around midway down the barrel.After three to five patches,I can actually feel the bore is smoother all the way the length of the barrel.A borescope will confirm how clean it is,but if you don't have one,feel is one thing you can go by.I've never had JB paste hurt any of my barrels and it is the quickest way I know to remove copper and carbon from your barrels.
34 2,192 more...
Shotshells Jump to new posts
Re: Value or Demand for 20g AA hulls? tikkanut 03/25/24
10 1,525 more...
Big Game Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Does Handloading the 7PRC help it get to advertised Velocities? Just a Hunter 03/25/24
That's really good. Have you tried the heavier bullets in 168g thru 185g?
9 748 more...
Re: Are you Middle Class ? Teal 03/25/24
Originally Posted by jackmountain
There is no such thing as poverty in the United States other than the willingly destitute ie. addicts, homeless etc. and even then they normally have access to food and shelter.

Only in America do our poor have an obesity problem.
207 12,602 more...
Will Dabbs: 'Why Ukraine Matters' from Guns America 3/24/24 MT_DD_FAN 03/25/24
Read this interesting piece today in the Guns America email blast: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/dr-dabbs-why-ukraine-matters/ I've read many of the articles by Will Dabbs, MD (gun looney and veteran) in previous GA email blasts but this one was different, so I though I would post the link. In case, the link stops working, I copied and pasted the Dabbs article below, except for the pics, although I kept the captions for those missing pics.

Why Ukraine Matters, Author: Will Dabbs March 24, 2024 Guns America

Today we are going to explore what I hope will be a fairly controversial subject. If you have opinions I’d love to read them down below. These are mine. Fortunately for me, I am unimportant so I can speak my mind without caring about offending anybody.

The War in Ukraine Represents a Unique Opportunity

Living with these things is the only world I have ever known. [caption for a pic]

I was born in 1966. I have lived under the threat of nuclear annihilation by the Russians ever since I first drew breath. Like-minded buddies and I used to design subterranean fallout shelters in the margins of our notebooks in High School.

In 1989 the wall fell, and everything changed. For the first time in my life, we faced the possibility of a world not defined by the pervasive threat of nuclear war. Moreso than at any time since the end of WW2, there was hope and an expectation of a brighter, more peaceful future. And then Vladimir Putin happened.

Anatomy of a Monster

Vladimir Putin is 71 years old and has been the grand potentate of Russia for a quarter century. He’s not a terribly nice person. [caption for a pic]

Vladimir Putin began work as a foreign intelligence officer in 1975. He resigned from the KGB in 1991 and dove headfirst into politics. For a time he helmed the Federal Security Service (FSB, the successor to the KGB). Putin was appointed Prime Minister in the summer of 1999.

Putin has had a stranglehold on power ever since, walking away with every election in which he has participated. He suspiciously won the most recent March 2024 plebiscite with 87.97% of the popular vote. Of course, his political enemies have a curious habit of falling out of windows, blowing up in airplanes, or being inexplicably contaminated with toxic Polonium-210. That might have something to do with it.

Perhaps He’s Compensating for Something…

President Obama caught a lot of flak for this picture. It’s plenty safe and all. It just doesn’t look terribly manly. [caption for a pic]

I will admit that there was a time when I thought Putin was kind of cool. While our own President Clinton was chasing interns and President Obama didn’t get within a hundred yards of a bicycle without donning one of those lame-looking helmets, Putin was burning meat with friends, pumping iron, flying an ultralight airplane, and wrangling polar bears.

I can’t much see President Biden doing something like this. [caption for a pic]

Putin went out hunting tigers with a dart gun while he was the sitting President of Russia. Right, wrong, or otherwise, that’s a pretty studly thing to do. [caption for a pic]

Vladimir Putin has long been a martial arts enthusiast. This dates back to his days as a KGB spy. [caption for a pic]

Megalomaniacal Nutjob

That’s not hyperbole. In 2013, he took a bathyscaphe to the seabed to explore the remains of the Russian naval frigate Oleg that sank in 1869. He went on expeditions to tranquilize Siberian tigers and polar bears before fitting them with radio collars. Putin holds a black belt in Judo and has authored a book on the subject titled, Judo: History, Theory, and Practice (3.9/5 on Goodreads). But, throughout it all, Vladimir Putin was actually a megalomaniacal nutjob.

Putin first showed his true colors in 1999 when he oversaw the Second Chechen War that claimed between 50,000 and 80,000 civilian lives. In 2014, he invaded Crimea, but President Obama didn’t really take him seriously. Thusly emboldened, in February of 2022 Putin massed some 180,000 combat troops on the border with Ukraine.

Putin expected his invasion of Ukraine to be a walk in the park. It wasn’t. [caption for a pic]

His stated goals were to rid Ukraine of imaginary Nazis and create a buffer between Russia and NATO. His war plan had his triumphant forces marching victoriously through the streets of Kiev in three days. However, a certain Ukrainian television comedian had something to say about that.

Volodymyr Zelensky: The Archetypal Underdog

By all accounts, Volodymyr Zelensky loves his family and wants what’s best for them. That I can identify with. [caption for a pic]

Volodymyr Zelensky is 49 years old. He is married and has two kids. Zelensky is Jewish and had relatives who perished in the Holocaust. His grandfather was an infantry Colonel in the Red Army during WW2.

Volodymyr Zelensky’s comedy troupe, Kvartal 95, has been immensely popular in Ukraine. Some of their comedy sketches are pretty racy. [caption for a pic]

Zelensky began his show business career at age seventeen, forming a comedy troupe called Kvartal 95. Kvartal 95 was a sort-of Ukrainian Saturday Night Live. Most of the videos of Zelensky circulating on the Internet that make him look androgynous or show him in a compromising light are taken from Kvartal 95 comedy sketches. That’s why there is always laughter in the background.

Zelensky’s extensive filmography includes a voiceover as Paddington Bear in the Ukrainian dubbing of the two Paddington movies. He said the objective of Kvartal 95 was to, “Make the world a better place, a kinder and more joyful place with the help of those tools that we have, which are humor and creativity.”

A Weird Segue To President of Ukraine

Volodymyr Zelensky’s fake TV show about being President of Ukraine eventually got him elected President of Ukraine. That’s honestly pretty weird, but I did my part to help elect Donald Trump. We don’t have much room to talk. [caption for a pic]

What got seriously strange was his sitcom Servant of the People. This show runs on Netflix, and it is surreal. Zelensky plays a school teacher whose students surreptitiously get his name on the ballot for President of Ukraine. In the show, his pupils record him ranting against government corruption and oligarchs without his knowledge, post the video online, and, against all odds, get him elected President. What follows is an amusing fish-out-of-water trope wherein the humble schoolteacher tries to adapt to the trappings of power and run a country. The Ukrainian people loved it.

Zelensky is a shrewd businessman and a strategic thinker. In 2018, his television production company formed a new political party named, aptly enough, Servant of the People. In a classic example of life imitating art, Zelensky ran a low-key virtual campaign and won the presidency with 73% of the vote.

The War In Ukraine

The comedian-turned-politician has transformed into a remarkably charismatic wartime leader. [caption for a pic]

Zelensky’s political life has been defined by the Russian invasion. In the chaotic days following the initial assault, President Biden famously called Zelensky to offer safe passage for him and his family out of Ukraine on an American helicopter. Zelensky’s immortal response was, “The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.”

In the subsequent two years, the United States has provided around $74 billion in total aid to Ukraine. $46.3 billion of that has been for weapons, training, and military support. That’s a pretty epic chunk of change, but let’s dissect that number for context.

Despite dumping $13.5 billion in cash into the impoverished nation of Haiti, the place remains an unlivable hellhole today. Legit, the power recently went out in Port-au-Prince because looters broke into the power stations and stole everything. [caption for a pic]

Since the 2010 earthquake, we have pumped some $13.5 billion into Haiti. That money is just gone. Haiti is a lawless failed state today. We sent $3 billion to Somalia, and I still can’t get too worked up about vacationing there.

We spent $72.7 billion in Afghanistan between 2001 and 2020. In the two decades since 911 we dumped an eye-popping $8 trillion on the Global War on Terror while directly or indirectly killing nearly a million people. That’s $24,000 for every man, woman, and child in our country. The money we have spent in Ukraine is undeniably substantial, but it pales in comparison to some of Uncle Sam’s other boondoggles. However, what do we actually get for this not-insubstantial investment?

The Devil is Always in the Details

We’ve sent thousands of military vehicles to Ukraine in support of their war effort. [caption for a pic]

$46.3 billion sounds like a lot of money, because it is a lot of money. However, that figure is misleading. Much of that cash was actually spent ages ago.

We have provided the Ukrainians with 31 M1A1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks, 186 M2A2 Bradley Infantry Fighting Vehicles, 300 obsolete M113 Armored Personnel Carriers, 157 Stryker vehicles, and about 2,000 Humvees along with a variety of other trucks and tracks.

We sent them 180 M777 towed 155mm howitzers, 18 M109A6 Paladin self-propelled howitzers, and 20 of the famed 227mm HIMARS launchers. Ukraine has also received more than 2,000 Stinger missiles and a single Patriot battery which they have wielded as deftly as a surgeon’s scalpel.

Tactical Relativity for Ukraine

This is an aerial photo of M1 tanks in storage at the Sierra Army Depot. Trust me, we’ve got more than we need, and they’re already paid for. [caption for a pic]

There’s a lot of other stuff on the list, but most of the big-ticket items were surplus left over from the Cold War. We sent the Ukrainians those 31 Abrams tanks, but we still have roughly 3,000 more sitting idle in the desert over and above the 2,000 or so we maintain in active inventory. The same goes for Bradleys, Humvees, and dozens of other combat vehicle types. While those numbers sound astronomical, in a manner of speaking what we are really doing is cleaning out our basement.

And that brings me to my main point. The United States spent enough on defense between the end of WW2 and the fall of the Iron Curtain to raze and rebuild every manmade structure in North America. We built all this stuff to fight the Russians in the first place. Thankfully we eventually just parked most of it in the desert waiting for a rainy day. Well, this is that rainy day.

Big Picture

Historically speaking, Ukraine has had a longstanding corruption problem. However, I’m not convinced this guy is just squeaky clean, either. [caption for a pic]

Yes, Ukraine has a corruption problem. However, that’s nothing compared to Afghanistan, Somalia, and dozens of other tinpot fiefdoms we have propped up in recent times. Heck, our own political leaders are hardly paragons of altruistic virtue themselves.

Money is tight in America, tighter than it has been in ages. I agree that it seems insane to pump billions into countries overseas while our own infrastructure crumbles and our countrymen live homeless on the streets. However, this is the chance we have been waiting for ever since 1945. We now have a once-in-a-century opportunity to drive a knife into the heart of the Russian bear without spilling a drop of American blood. We would actually be insane not to take advantage of it.

Putin did this all by his lonesome. His invasion of Ukraine will go down in history as the greatest geopolitical blunder of the modern age. And all because he underestimated a Ukrainian comedian and the people who voted him into office.

The fight in Ukraine could indeed theoretically precipitate nuclear war. I certainly acknowledge that. However, the Russians have been threatening to nuke us every day for the last 75 years. I’m ready to get this done.

Ruminations On the War in Ukraine

Russia is paying in blood for every inch of stolen Ukrainian soil. [caption for a pic]

Depending upon what you read, Russia has already lost 3,000 tanks, 20 naval vessels, and 294 combat aircraft. US government sources say the Russians have suffered a mindboggling 315,000 troops killed or wounded. The Ukrainians purportedly killed 10,000 Russians in February 2024 alone.

Now is not the time to falter. The Russian military was and is formidable, but the Ukrainians are currently bleeding them white. Zelensky is no saint, but I think we should give him absolutely anything he asks for. We didn’t start this war, but we may never get another opportunity like this.
35 2,399 more...
Re: Are you Middle Class ? Valsdad 03/25/24
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Teal
Would be interesting to see just how much/what stuff a "middle-class American" had in say 1965. Cars, where the price fell in the average cost of cars of the time, number of TV's, number of phones, cottages etc.

Seems like what we feel like we "must have" to be comfortable these days is quite a bit more than feeling like "we've got a good life" back then. Hell there's a thread here where a guy has 5 TV's and is complaining.

I mean - just how much stuff do you need to be happy? Today vs back then?

Feels like we're less happy today - regardless of what our money is buying.

Growing up middle class was a house with a Chevy or Ford station wagon in the driveway.

Upper middle class (as in regular MDs, and other professionals) was a Buick or Olds in the driveway.

Only the rich had Cadillac and Lincoln cars...........and posers owned Mercedes and such.

We was an AMC Matador wagon fambly

Ain't nothin but a fancy name for a Rambler............................

y'all was puttin' on airs an sech.
207 12,602 more...
Page 284 of 770 1 2 282 283 284 285 286 769 770
YB23

Who's Online Now
396 members (1lesfox, 300jimmy, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 40 invisible), 2,089 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.