24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunting Optics Jump to new posts
Re: What exactly isn't manufactured in the USA --> Leupold VX5HD and VX6HD Jordan Smith 04/16/24
Originally Posted by KenMi
Originally Posted by gsganzer
How much of "Leupold's are failing" is based on actual fact, versus targeted social media efforts by their competitors to try to gain some market share? As an example, Vortex must have one of the largest advertising/marketing budgets, based on how much you see them splashed across everything printed, filmed or blogged. In today's age of social media, "marketing" also includes paid social influencers and internet trolls that try to sway opinion or create false narratives.

It was interesting to see how effective the marketing can be. I watched my daughter's boyfriend shop for a scope at the DSC convention. Out of all the brands, he kept picking up the Vortex out of brand recognition. I think he ended up buying one of the Vortex scopes that's sourced from China.

Exactly. They target the advertising and marketing to the masses that don't know any better. Call it tactical, long range, or add certain words or acronyms and the sheep suck it up.
This applies equally to both Vortex and Leupold.
70 9,708 more...
Waterfowl Jump to new posts
Re: Bucket List WMR 04/16/24
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
Originally Posted by fatherof4
Interested in opinions as to waterfowl bucket list hunts. If you could hunt any waterfowl in the continental US, what would it be and where? Thanks in advance.
You start off with "bucket list" and then decided to limit it to the U.S. I am sure there is good, even great, duck hunting in the U.S. I am absolutely positive there is BETTER duck hunting outside of the U.S. Specifically in Argentina where the U.S. dollar stretches pretty far. I did a mixed bag hunt last year. Mostly ducks, but hunted perdiz and pigeon/dove as well. I will never hunt ducks in the U.S. again. Not worth the time/money. This is my AAR on ShotgunWorld:

Original Thread on SGW

I just back 10 days ago. I did mixed bag with 4 Seasons Argentina (4 Seasons Adventures Argentina). The lodge is about 15km North of Darregueira which is itself about 180km North-Northwest of Bahia Blanca. It's still in the Buenos Aires province. I spent 5 days hunting. Mostly ducks, but did hunt perdiz 1 day (those buggers are HARD to hunt) and dove/pigeon twice. I don't have a full write-up done, but will answer your questions here:

• There is a huge drought in Argentina right now. So, "normal" hunting spots are not necessarily being used. My outfitter couldn't do ducks in their normal spot as all the ponds were dry.
  • If you are a duck hunter, there is NOTHING like hunting ducks in Argentina. 3-5 ducks in the U.S. is something I will never do again. Not when I got 30 every single morning. The first afternoon I got 30 ducks in around 45 minutes. It's unreal.
  • According to the Argentinians, Cordoba is no longer the place for Dove. Entre Rios is. Most places are a 2 hour drive from Buenos Aires. Also, your golden dorado fishing is in Entre Rios.
  • The outfitter I used has their dove lodge in Entre Rios now instead of Cordoba. They apparently moved all their operations there. For whatever reason, there are more dove in Entre Rios than Cordoba now.
  • The best dove hunting is their Spring (September - December)
  • The best duck hunting is June - July. Temps will likely be below freezing in the morning, but rain is highly unlikely.
  • Red Stag is during the rut in March.
  • No clue on perdiz and I am not sure pigeon have a "good" season.
  • Pigeon is the most fun to hunt. Hunt them on roosts coming off of grain fields.
  • Those eared doves are FAST buggers. They are like Mourning dove. Pigeons are more like White-winged dove. No limits on either.
  • Shells are running $13-$15/box and 20 gauge is harder to come by. Gun rental is ~$50 from most outfitters. Taking a gun to Argentina is a pain. Just rent them. Take shoulder pads and slip-on recoil pads to get length if you need it.
  • Most outfitters are going to be close to $1000/day. That should include transportation to/from EZE and any regional airports, food, lodging, and hunting. Gun rental, shells, and tips are extra. You can negotiate some of it with them though.
  • For tips, $50 - $100/day for the bird boy/guide. More for ducks because they do a TON of work. $50 - $100/day for your host/outfitter. My outfitter/owner wouldn't accept tips for himself. Figure $25 - $50/day for "la casa". That gets split between the cooks, housekeepers, and servers.
  • The American flight from MIA to EZE (Buenos Aires) is around 10 hours and is a decent flight. I would suggest spending a day & night in BA before/after your hunt to catch up after/before travel.
  • They are on a European schedule. Dinner isn't until 8pm or so. Most restaurants don't open until 7pm or later and the lodge won't have dinner until then. Plan accordingly.

When I go back to bird hunt next time, I would either hunt solely ducks (maybe an afternoon on pigeon/dove) for 3 - 4 days or hunt pigeon/dove on a day hunt out of Buenos Aires. My plan, right now, is to hunt red stag in Patagonia in March 2025. I may, or may not, do a day hunt out of BA for pigeon/dove then. If I was taking my wife/family to BA for a vacation, I would do a single day hunt while they did their own thing. It's a 2 hour car ride each way. 6am leave and return by 8pm just in time for dinner.

Oh, as for cost, this is my estimate: The hunting bill (hunting, lodging, food, shells, guns, transfers, and flight inside Argentina) came out to $6500. That included 2 nights in a hotel in Buenos Aires. I spent $1200 on tips and another $300 buying trinkets/souvenirs and meals in BA. The flight from Austin - MIA - BA was $2200 for upgraded seats (Main Cabin Extra). So, all told, probably $10,500 including the muck boots I bought and some other incidental things.

Worth EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR.

You go on a hunting (shooting?) vacation for 5 days per year? It sounds like you had a great time. Sounds like it may have spoiled you. YMMV, but I'd much rather hunt more days in more places than that.
22 2,595 more...
Savage Collectors Jump to new posts
Re: Semi-Auto Savage 99, What!!!!!! Savage94C 04/16/24
Had extraction problems that were never fully worked out. Yup--Be interesting to shoot. Although Ruger due to patent this and that probably couldn't have marketed it, wonder what he could have come up with if WW2 hadn't happened and he had spent time away from R&D gov't arsenals during the war.
10 1,331 more...
IC B2
Air Guns Jump to new posts
Re: Looking for a backyard gun for woodchucks MontanaMarine 04/16/24
I'm leaning toward getting an MA2 in 30 caliber. It looks like they are not yet in the pre-order status, so I don't know when they might be available.

I watched a couple vids, and it was noted that the review guns were 'pre-production' guns.
7 1,023 more...
Lever Actions - General Jump to new posts
Re: WTB Brass Gojoe 04/16/24
Good luck with your search. The classified section might be a better place to post this.
However ,you will probably have a chance to get the attention of someone who has such a special item in this section.
The classified section is convoluted.
10 1,037 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: WTB Remington 582 Complete Bolt gankster 04/16/24
PM sent to you
8 591 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Iran getting lit up in next 24 to 48 hrs? Tyrone 04/16/24
Originally Posted by slumlord
All yall gas goan go up

LOL
Only temporarily. Ukraine is getting ripped off the nipple. We'll have Russian gas in (even more) plenty soon.
375 27,854 more...
Re: Britney Griner's Wife is Expecting hanco 04/16/24
Is the thing still playing basketball?
41 4,421 more...
Deer Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Any love for the 30/06 longarm 04/16/24
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Rem 721, 165gr Core-lokt. I don't use it often, but it does work
161 18,533 more...
Re: Iran getting lit up in next 24 to 48 hrs? Tyrone 04/16/24
Two non-Christian countries. What can go wrong?
375 27,854 more...
IC B3
Re: Britney Griner's Wife is Expecting hanco 04/16/24
I think I’m gonna puke
41 4,421 more...
Re: Scott Ritter is a child sex offender Jcubed 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Hahaha!

Anthony Blinken stuck it into the OP and broke it off!

Scott who?

Jags buddy.

That's fine.

Jags harmless.

Supporting Bidens foreign policy is traitorous.

Who supports that in this convo?
57 4,400 more...
Re: Something Else Learned Tyrone 04/16/24
Mr. Griner somehow ain't? Is??? ???????
25 2,243 more...
Re: NightForce SHV bsa1917hunter 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I had what I felt was the perfect scope for my Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. It was the same SHV you are considering. It had the illuminated force plex.

I was twisting the turret to shoot it out to 300 yards with a 320 gr Fury bullet and then returning it to zero at 100 with plenty of shots in between at a steel plates in the desert. It was working quite well for several sessions. Then the scope's elevation turret suddenly died. It would not return to zero or place the POI where I wanted it at various distances. I called Nightforce and was flat out told it was my rifle certainly NOT THEIR PRODUCT!!!! As a control I placed a SWFA HD 5-20 x 50 on the rifle and it was back in business. It was too bad as I really thought the scope was perfect for my use on that rifle.

FYI I got my cow elk with that SWFA at 225 yd that year. You have better results with your rifle as it won't recoil anywhere near as much as that MZ does.

I've dialed mine a lot, and have never had an issue. The SHV series has ran pretty flawlessly for a lot of guys I know as well. A lot of guys I shoot with in local long range varmint silhouette matches use them. In that dicipline, you are constantly dialing up and down, which gives them a little workout. I don't know if you got a bad one (which is pretty unheard of), or you didn't tighten the set screws on the turret. I've had Leupolds quit tracking, and seen numerous Vortex crap out, but never have seen a Nightforce do that.
61 8,688 more...
Re: Britney Griner's Wife is Expecting Tyrone 04/16/24
Originally Posted by slumlord
Hahaha

Yall know that’s a dude right
Which one? Both???? Neither??? crazy
41 4,421 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: Odds and ends brass and bullets Mohall57 04/16/24
Bump
7 1,123 more...
Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Instructional for Redfield 70M receiver sight Naphtali 04/16/24
I am having a conservative rifle being made. It will use a Redfield 70M as primary sight - no scope will be used. I need some sort of Instructional for this receiver sight. I really need assistance to use its nuances.
0 167 more...
Re: Scott Ritter is a child sex offender Jim_Conrad 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Jcubed
Hahaha!

Anthony Blinken stuck it into the OP and broke it off!

Scott who?

Jags buddy.

That's fine.

Jags harmless.

Supporting Bidens foreign policy is traitorous.
57 4,400 more...
Re: Scott Ritter is a child sex offender Tyrone 04/16/24
I gotta hand it to FJB, he's coming around to reality slowly. Too bad it's cost the lives/limbs of about 1 million Ukrainians and cost the area about 25 million in inhabitants who will never return.

We could have told Russia to take that worthless [bleep] and the Ukraine wouldn't have suffered more than a few hundred dead and we'd have ~$2.50/gal gas.
57 4,400 more...
Deer Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Any love for the 30/06 longarm 04/16/24
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by TheKid
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Damn nice animals Kid!!!!
Thanks KW! It’s good to live in paradise. Seems like you and me both been on a roll with pretty nice bucks the last few years.

I believe you are right!!!!

My latest 30/06! One of my Grail Rifles! Model 1950 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. 2.3x7 Kahles scope. #4 reticle. Want to plan an outing for axis deer now! Or a fallow. I like me some 30/06.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Wow, that's a gorgeous rifle!
161 18,533 more...
Re: .30 cal RN solids tdoyka 04/16/24
i'd go with a Ranch Dog or a WFN/FN design.

https://bullshop.weebly.com/-30-caliber-cast-bullets.html

on grains of the bullet, depends what type of game he's going after. if it is groundhog or foxes, i'd go with 115gr Ranch Dog. if its lager i'd go with the 173gr (165gr) Ranch Dog.

stay away from cast pointed bullets, unless you want to track the game animal. i don't know about cast RN, as i have never used them.
38 3,235 more...
Re: What a DickHead stxhunter 04/16/24
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Trump should ask the high school to hold graduation on the weekend, throw them a few thousand $$ for it, and really pizz off the judge.
they are on weekends sometimes.
53 5,467 more...
Re: Something Else Learned ironbender 04/16/24
My son also wanted to paint his room. He wanted black w orange trim. 😳

Line item veto on that one.
25 2,243 more...
Re: Do You Believe the Earth is 6000 Years Old? Jcubed 04/16/24
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
It was Christians killing Christians.

The genocide was preached from the Catholic pulpits.
I had no idea the Catholic church was fanning the flames in Rwanda. But I did some searching. It's true and they've admitted it. I wasn't much interested and just figured it was a Moslem vs. Christian affair.

What do they say about assumptions?
492 33,866 more...
Re: What exactly isn't manufactured in the USA --> Leupold VX5HD and VX6HD Jordan Smith 04/16/24
Originally Posted by gsganzer
How much of "Leupold's are failing" is based on actual fact, versus targeted social media efforts by their competitors to try to gain some market share? As an example, Vortex must have one of the largest advertising/marketing budgets, based on how much you see them splashed across everything printed, filmed or blogged. In today's age of social media, "marketing" also includes paid social influencers and internet trolls that try to sway opinion or create false narratives.
Are you suggesting that Leupold does not engage in the same sorts of things to positively affect its own image relative to competitors?
70 9,708 more...
Page 605 of 614 1 2 603 604 605 606 607 613 614
AX24

570 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 49 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,089
Posts18,463,991
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.