24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: Driving and Texting... Featherweight6555 04/11/24
Lady from work a few years ago coming up north US52. Notorius for answering emails while coming in to work. Never hit the brakes and rear ended the stopped semi.in the road.
She's dead. She never knew what killed her.
I pull over to text. And phone comes thtough the radio.
52 3,572 more...
Re: How would you improve our educational system K-12 bpas105 04/11/24
First, I'd find the good things and highlight them. That is much easier than folks would have you believe. You simply can't attract good teachers, admin and support staff into a career that just gets bashed. And you can't get students believe it's worthwhile either.

Then, I'd work on an educational focus and reduce the focus on staff protections like seniority and tenure. They all need to be accountable and productive all year, every year.

Educational focus needs to be relevant, including trades and vocations. Gifted students should be challenged, instead of being reigned in with the rest. The old "kill and drill" techniques worked, bring them back.

School choice is a tough one. It's important, but the vast majority of alternative/charter/home school simply don't perform well except in people's perspectives. They must also be held accountable educationally.

How we measure performance can also change. Get rid of the woke metrics that give everyone participation medals and reward higher levels of success, considering the potential of the individual students.
118 6,177 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: Nikon 1.75x5 Turkey Pro Mossy Oak tjm1534 04/11/24
Btt
7 811 more...
IC B2
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Shot the New BCA 223 Wylde Complete Rifle Today steve4102 04/11/24
I did shoot a 5 shot group with Hornady 55gr FMJ with 8208 XBR, not great. Top group.

The lower group is 53gr Sierra MK with 748.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Remember this is only 70 yards, not much of an accuracy test, but will do more this weekend after the snow is gone.
21 1,797 more...
Re: How would you improve our educational system K-12 Eric308 04/11/24
Some small first steps: 1) if it wasn't in the curriculum in 1960, dump it (with some exceptions for technology, like PC familiarity, etc.) 2) mandatory school uniforms.

As has been said, eliminate grade inflation and toughen discipline.

Also add mandatory Phys. Ed. and "Outward Bound" type classes to counter our sedentary screen culture.
118 6,177 more...
General Big Game Jump to new posts
Re: Factory Ammunition. Puddle 04/11/24
Growing up on the ranch it was either the white box (or was it silver?) or the green box; Winchester Silver Tips or Remington Core-Lokts. And in .30-06.

After the single shot .22 rimfire, I learned centerfire on a M1 Garand out to 400 yards. On a ranch, there's a shooting range just about anywhere you look. Just step it off. I think I was around 13 then. GI surplus ammo was on the back shelf next to the fishing gear in the grocery store. My brothers bought fishing gear when we started getting paid. Me, I bought a Lee Loader. In .30-06.
26 3,062 more...
Re: Win. 70 Classic Supergrade .300 Win. Mag blairvt 04/11/24
seems like it would be worth more than asking price
10 1,578 more...
Re: How would you improve our educational system K-12 jorgeI 04/11/24
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It's been a democrat-matriarchy for over seventy five years. Figure how to change that and you're home free
Agree, I don't think you can legally dismantle the unions, pensions, employment contracts. I think the answer is to provide an easier path to school choice, a tax break for parents who do not utilize the public school option. Once there are more free market options for parents, the market will be in competition to up the student performance standards by itself. You will see more emphasis on the 3 Rs, less on Marxist and social agenda. I think industrial arts, practical job training should be totally separated from any school system. In places where it has been most successful...it has been a co effort of industry and educators.

Great post, I was obviously being sarcastic, but a real and comprehensive competency test to all teachers should be an absolute requirement.
118 6,177 more...
Re: Gabbard.... Jim_Conrad 04/11/24
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Tarquin
I have my reservations about her, but this is a helluva statement. I agree with damn near every word of it.

you praised George Floyd and that covid ant Trump retard ben Shapiro.

You have at best, a very casual relationship with the truth and at worst you're a stone-cold liar. Here are the facts: Not once have I ever praised or defended George Floyd. Ben Shapiro and the Daily Wire brought and funded the lawsuit in which the Supreme Court over-turned the Vax mandate. BTW, DJT is pro-vax to this day! Many good, rock solid conservatives were once hesitant about Trump, but are now on board. People are allowed to change their mind. How much money have you contributed to DJT's election this cycle? Not one red cent I'll bet. I've sent a couple hundred. So STFU.

in any event, your lies about me (and Shapiro) have absolutely nothing to do with the merits of what Gabbard said in the interview I posted above. Either what she said is true and right, or it isn't.

Fugg off Tardqueen.

Go back to the DU.
56 4,052 more...
Re: FS MSR Hubba Hubba 1P Tent Brad 04/11/24
Up - great hunting tent
8 846 more...
IC B3
Handguns Jump to new posts
Re: The 38 thread slugflinger 04/11/24
A man can't have too many 38'

83 7,777 more...
Re: Cabelas has a deal on RCBS Chargemaster. Jim_Conrad 04/11/24
I have the old one.

It was a piece of crap until RiverRider taught me how to desolder and then solder up connections in the unit.

They were soldered poorly at the factory.

Unless the new ones are twice as fast....I wouldn't spend the money again.

About the only thing they are handy for is load development.

If I am loading more than say 20 rounds....I will throw the charges.

With a baffle and consistency, a powder measure is twice as fast and just as accurate.
38 3,121 more...
Re: They'll lose this law suit STRSWilson 04/11/24
The first rule of personal injury law - Regardless of how ignorant, careless, and/or negligent you are, it's always someone else's fault.
14 1,811 more...
Re: Gabbard.... 12344mag 04/11/24
Originally Posted by AB2506
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
She's still an anti 2A commie
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I can't support a Anti-2nd Amendment politician!

You both haven’t been paying attention. Tulsi, has realized that the Demonrat’s position on gun control is stupid and she’s converted to a 2A supporter.

Well that's what she says anyways and politicians never lie right?

She very well may have realized the errors of her ways but she has to prove herself not just talk about it.
56 4,052 more...
Turkey Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: The most important turkey thread posted in the last hour BrowningGuy88 04/11/24
I like solid color dark tan or olive pants with a camo top. I’m rolling with a leafy zip up top this year.

I’ve been solid pants/camo top for years and turkeys don’t seem to care.

I really like the Wrangler ATG or Sam’s Club Weatherproof pants.
18 1,342 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: Primer storage? elkmen1 04/11/24
In an insulated closet, inside insulated plastic cat sand containers, from Costco. Powder is stored similarly
14 1,639 more...
Ask The Gunwriters Jump to new posts
Re: What a bore scope can show you ERK 04/11/24
I bought a borescope last winter for curiosity Sake. I have a barrel my brother wore out on his benchrest rifle. It looks like a bad gravel road after cleaning. It shoots 5 into less than half inch with 80 grainers.
Yesterday I loaded up 5 105 barts bullets just to see how it shot. The group with cold bore was .365 and without cold bore the 4 shots were .185.
It’s shoots better than the nice looking barrels. Kinda funny after looking at the bore. It’s a 6 br by the way. Edk
63 7,891 more...
Long Range Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Milk jug challenge, by Backfire YT Channel RIO7 04/11/24
[quote

He is simply spotlighting that even confident "Long Range" shooters - can't hunt past normal ranges w/o their concrete benches and lead-sleds. This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

GR[/quote]

You might add laying on your belly like Lizard, if you can't shoot without laying down you might as well stay home and take a nap Rio7
138 14,257 more...
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Let's see your No Frills Meat Getters !! T_Inman 04/11/24
Lately it has been this Win 1300 Ranger. As basic as a gun can get but it won’t quit, no matter how much I neglect it.

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

As far as rifles, I haven’t hunted a no frills rifle in quite some time. This is a custom 6.5x284 but I guess without a lot of bling and it has averaged about 1000 lbs (a guess) of meat a year for the last several years.
[Linked Image from imgur.com]
217 42,982 more...
Re: They'll lose this law suit 700LH 04/11/24
Intelligence seems to not play a role in common sense
14 1,811 more...
Re: How would you improve our educational system K-12 flintlocke 04/11/24
Originally Posted by jorgeI
It's been a democrat-matriarchy for over seventy five years. Figure how to change that and you're home free
Agree, I don't think you can legally dismantle the unions, pensions, employment contracts. I think the answer is to provide an easier path to school choice, a tax break for parents who do not utilize the public school option. Once there are more free market options for parents, the market will be in competition to up the student performance standards by itself. You will see more emphasis on the 3 Rs, less on Marxist and social agenda. I think industrial arts, practical job training should be totally separated from any school system. In places where it has been most successful...it has been a co effort of industry and educators.
118 6,177 more...
Single Shots Jump to new posts
Re: Flat shooting contender Exchipy 04/11/24
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Nathan30
What is your go to varmint caliber for your contender? I recently had ordered a custom barrel in 20 tactical and the maker couldn’t get it done so now I’m rethinking the decision want recommendations please
I had a 14" .204 which was a failure. Abusive blast, not much accuracy. I feel the same way about .223 in a 14" barrel.

I donno. A 14” .223 seems alright to me:

Guess it depends on what it takes to be satisfied.
17 1,837 more...
Re: Book by a chopper pilot in 'Nam slumlord 04/11/24
Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I drink coffee most mornings with a group of Vietnam vets, one was a helicopter pilot and one a Navy pilot who flew missions over the North every day. Lotsa interesting stories. Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire. There are former members of the Army, Navy, Marines and the Air Force, enlisted men and officers, several with Purple Hearts and other service commendations.

Worth a post....

What former CG of the 101st was shot down in a helicopter during the Vietnam War?

That Question would be on every Soldier of the month board
Every soldier of the Quarter board
Every soldier of the year board.
In every unit from the 101 asked by every CSM and 1sg at battalion level, up to Bde and Div CSM,s at division level boards.
And asked at every E5 and E6 promotion board in every battalion from Combat Support to Combat Arms in the 101st.
And would most def be mentioned in the Veitnam section at Pratt museum on post.

Military history kinda stuff.....

Kinda funny.... I did 3 tours in the 101st from 1990 to 2004
Never heard of this " obscure factoid"
Ever.....
Nor have I ever heard it from anyone ever in any unit I was assigned to in the 101st

You word this like this former CG that got shot down in a bird over vietnam that you sip coffee with is still a 02 consumer.

List of CG,s of the 101st from 65 to 72 while the unit was in veitnam and the year they stopped being O2 users..
Powell 11
Stenberg 04
Barsanti 73
Zias 81
Wright 14
Hennesey 01
Tarpley 86
Cushman 17

So which Weekend at Bernies former CG of the 101st that rode a bird down in Vietnam after taking hostile fire are you drinking coffee with????

You know it, it seems.
Let the rest of us know it please.
Just to clear this up...
I will own this if I am mistaken, feel free to enlighten me and others that served in the 101 on here.
👍🏻
Allow me to bump
65 7,231 more...
Re: Today's verses Alan_C 04/11/24
Enjoyed!
4 288 more...
Re: Interesting Murder trial, Self Defense or not? JOG 04/11/24
This is a somewhat local case, so I have to assume most of you don't know details. I hope the defendant get life behind bars.
41 3,632 more...
Page 623 of 645 1 2 621 622 623 624 625 644 645
AX24

458 members (17CalFan, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 48 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,490
Posts18,452,094
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.