24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Our ages here on the fire... PWN Yesterday at 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Brad, we connected here of course with me noting and enjoying his straightforward posts on shotguns. He’s extremely knowledgeable on all things shotgun. We pheasant hunted over a week at Dukxdog’s Bunkhouse in Gettysburg, SD last fall, he and his two spaniels. He was a great companion!

And you are much too kind! 😉

The photo of the pheasant hunt was taken during a hunt while we were staying at Duxdog's Birddog Bunkhouse. Great host and a very good hunting area.
160 22,988 more...
Lever Actions - General Jump to new posts
Re: Win 94, comparable gun? okie john Yesterday at 02:46 PM
Tikka T3x Compact in 308. https://choose.tikka.fi/global/code/TF1T2927A130063

This is not the CTR, but a shorter version of the T3X. It’s built for women, kids, and people wearing heavy jackets. Overall length is 40.2” with a 20” barrel. Length of pull is 12.5” and has a spacer to bring the stock to full length. I tried the spacer briefly then put it back in the box. The short LOP is a massive advantage when you need to get hits quickly.

The plan is to use it for black bear and blacktail deer on tree farms around the Pacific Northwest, so mostly still hunting in thick brush with occasional shots to ~350 yards.

It’s lighter than advertised. The website says 6 pounds 3 ounces, but mine is 5 pounds 9 ounces. For reference, a Kimber Montana in 308 weighs 5 pounds, 2 ounces. Based on recoil, this is as light as I want to go in a 308 that will use full-power ammo. Lots of practice in prone is a fact of life if you need to make long shots and that's just no fun with a rifle this light.

Accuracy and trigger are typical for a Tikka, but it’s harder to shoot well than a heavier rifle. Weight is 7 pounds, 6 ounces with a Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV. Sub-MOA groups from the bench are common enough with this scope and inexpensive factory loads, but it feels top heavy and awkward in fast offhand shooting and the eye relief is too short for prone.

With a 4x Leupold as shown in the picture, it weighs 6 pounds, 13.75 ounces. It’s fast in offhand but it’s harder to make good groups from the bench. Recoil is also sharp, partly due to the hard factory recoil pad. Eye relief is better with the Leupold but still awkward in prone.

Not sure where I’ll end up on the optic, probably a conventional 3-9x42 with the largest eye box I can find.

Velocities are almost as fast as a 22” barrel. Factory 150s run 2,650 to 2,700 fps and 180s run 2,450 to 2,500 fps. I get 2,700 with the 165-grain handloads that I’ll use for elk. I have two reduced loads for deer in the brush. One uses the 170-grain Speer flat-point designed for the 30-30 at 2,185 fps. The other uses a 150-grain spitzer at 2,250 fps.

Nice rifle overall.

Okie John
57 11,036 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Federal Premium 28 Gauge Shells shrapnel Yesterday at 02:45 PM
This is all copper plated 7 1/2 shot hunting loads. This is $35.00/box without shipping from any supplier. Get this for $25.00/box + shipping. Selling in 2 lots of 10 or one lot of 20 boxes. There are 17 Boxes of the Gold boxes on the right and 3 of the shells on the left, all premium copper plated shot. Buy all 20 and I will pay shipping...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
0 207 more...
IC B2
Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Re: Help with extractor gnoahhh Yesterday at 02:35 PM
That pre-war Weirauch action was designed completely for low pressure rimmed cartridges such as 8.15x46R for example. Is the steel up to snuff for containing a high pressure cartridge like the Valkyrie? Dunno, but I've read less than encouraging comments in the single shot hive over the years calling that into question.

That extractor is not unlike an old Martini extractor, all of which also were intended for rimmed cartridges too. (Personally I would've religiously stuck with a rimmed cartridge. The "customer isn't always right!") But what's done is done and how to make it work.

There was a guy named Bob Snapp who made a specialty out of converting Martini rimmed extractors to function with rimless cases. He's gone from the scene but his stuff is out there - maybe Google can scare up some images? Essentially he removed the "rim snagging" portion of the extractor and milled the back face of the extractor to accept a thin slider that was spring loaded and contoured/fitted to fit neatly into the case rim. (A thin mortise must be cut to contain the slider that only allows it to move vertically and not fall away.) When closing, the slider was forced down out of the way as the cartridge was seated and the breech block closed, and when everything was in battery the slider was pushed up by its spring to seat neatly into the case groove. Opening the action, the extractor pivoted back (with the slider still firmly in the rimless groove) taking the empty with it. Removal by hand of the empty case, and insertion of a fresh round too, forced the spring loaded slide down out of the way - it was only when everything was in alignment and being closed up that the extractor slide snapped into the groove.

You have to strike a fine balance for the spring pressure - strong enough to keep the extractor firmly in the case's groove while all the work is being done, yet soft enough that finger pressure can easily overcome it when inserting or plucking out a cartridge.

The rimless extractor on Miroku Browning/Winchester single shots is a similar concept too, if you can lay your hands on one to examine.

Other single shot designers solved the problem by using simple hook extractors fitted at the side of the chamber that had a cam operated pivoting motion to position the hook into a rimless case groove. Still others employed hook extractors made of spring steel that snapped over the rim and into the groove. The Ruger #1 extracto is kind of a blend of that.

At the end of the day there's a reason single shots were darned near entirely all chambered for rimmed cartridges in the pre-war era....
4 401 more...
Re: WTB: 8.15x46r stuff Gartenmeister Yesterday at 02:34 PM
Got brass, really need some dies
7 354 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: A defense lawyer sending surveys to potential jurors Rock Chuck Yesterday at 02:32 PM
UPDATE:
A judge has allowed this lawyer to continue surveying potential jurors in the case. How can this be legal? He condemned the defense for doing it yet allowed it to continue.

Idaho judge allows Bryan Kohberger’s jury pool survey to resume
Idaho jury pool survey to resume after Latah County residents called police over questionnaire
By Michael Ruiz Fox News
Published April 23, 2024 10:14am EDT

Idaho judge in Bryan Kohberger case slams defense for possibly 'inculpatory' questionnaires

Idaho Judge John Judge on Thursday condemned the defense in the Bryan Kohberger murder case for distributing questionnaires that could be 'inculpatory' to Latah County residents.

The Idaho judge overseeing the murder case against student stabbings suspect Bryan Kohberger is allowing the defense to resume polling potential jurors after prosecutors claimed questions could have damaged the jury pool.

Latah County Prosecuting Attorney Bill Thompson argued that some of the questions in the survey violated a restrictive gag order on the case, which prevents the parties from making extrajudicial statements about facts – and in this case, rumors – that are not included in the public court record.

And the survey so alarmed county residents that they called police and Thompson's office to report it.

Judge John Judge found that two of the nine disputed questions were not part of the public record — however, after they were read in court, that changed.

"These questions have now been read into the public record and discussed at length, including the fact that these ‘media items’ may not be true," Judge wrote. "Because the information is now in the public record, the court does not see any benefit in preventing the defense from continuing its surveys or requiring that the two questions at issue be eliminated."

Judge also reminded the parties that the gag order is not a complete ban on speaking to the media and that Kohberger’s defense, led by Kootenai County Public Defender Anne Taylor, could have publicly addressed damaging rumors about her client.

"The nondissemination order also allows extrajudicial statements 'that a reasonable lawyer would believe is required to protect a client from the substantial undue prejudicial effect of recent publicity not initiated by the lawyer or the lawyer's client. Any such statement shall be limited to such information as is necessary to mitigate the recent adverse publicity,'" Judge wrote.

"Defense counsel argued at length that the two ‘media items’ not contained in the public record were the subject of extensive media coverage that was prejudicial to defendant and that the survey questions asking potential jurors if they had read, seen, or heard these ‘media items’ was necessary to support defendant's motion for change of venue, which is aimed at mitigating the effects of prejudicial pretrial publicity on defendant's right to a fair trial."

Taylor did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Kohberger is due back in court on June 27 for a hearing on his team's request to have the trial moved to a larger county.

The survey is part of the defense's effort to show that Latah County, with a population of about 40,000, has too small a jury pool to ensure the accused killer would receive a fair trial.

Kohberger, who was studying for a Ph.D. in criminology at Washington State University at the time of the stabbings, is accused of driving across the state line and massacring four University of Idaho undergrads in a 4 a.m. home invasion attack.
The victims were Maddie Mogen and Kaylee Goncalves, both 21, their housemate Xana Kernodle, 20, and her visiting boyfriend Ethan Chapin, also 20.

Kohberger faces four charges of first-degree murder and a felony burglary count.

Judge entered not guilty pleas on his behalf for all charges during an arraignment last year.

Kohberger could face the death penalty if convicted.

The defense is pushing for a change of venue to a larger county with more potential jurors in the jury pool, suggesting Ada, Bonneville and Bannock counties.
13 1,439 more...
Turkey Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Opening Day Oklahoma Tom colorado bob Yesterday at 02:32 PM
Nice bird !! Love the photos !
21 1,360 more...
Re: MOVIE: Terminator on Prime Teal Yesterday at 02:30 PM
2024 is when the cyborgs come true. Film set in 84 and "not for about 40 years" with the new model.

4 306 more...
Re: Michigan get together JD338 Yesterday at 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by efw
I’m sorry to say I can’t make this one. My wife is working Saturday so I’ll be with my MIL watching Mayberry & Little House all day and all night…

I’ll miss you guys ping the steel a few times for me!

Eric,
Sorry you can't make it. Best wishes to your Mother in Law.
133 13,988 more...
Re: Muzzleloader Gun Powder Tubes Vials (Lane's Tubes) lanenebraska Yesterday at 02:25 PM
UP
3,012 332,218 more...
IC B3
Re: Gamakatsu EWG Hooks sll Yesterday at 02:24 PM
BTT
2 223 more...
Re: Fishing lure lots sll Yesterday at 02:23 PM
BTT
33 3,935 more...
Re: looking for a decent set of ratchets and sockets reasonably priced. JB in SC Yesterday at 02:21 PM
I buy old S-K and Proto when I can find them, especially at a yard sale.
46 2,829 more...
Re: Best electronic ear muff? stxhunter Yesterday at 02:21 PM
I have the walker's razor, they work well.
13 732 more...
Swarovski SLC 8X30 WB Binoculars shrapnel Yesterday at 02:21 PM
These are superb binoculars in real good shape with original lense covers on both ends. Fantastic glass at a real good price…$499.00

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
0 135 more...
Winchester Collectors Jump to new posts
Re: Rebarrel WSM okie john Yesterday at 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by ctw
Going to make mine a 450 Marlin

Might want to look into the brass situation first....

Okie John
29 3,559 more...
Long Range Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: May give it a shot! catnthehat Yesterday at 02:16 PM
I know of two different shooters who have had issues of bullets letting go in flight , neither of them were shooting Hornady bullets, one barrel eas a Shilen, not sure of the other . Both F/O rifles , and both rifles went sour in the middle of a match, not over time.
I know Speedy Gonzalez has talked about this before as well.
It is not uncommon for wind to drop a bullet right out of the target are at distance if their is random wind.
I watched several Very accomplished F/O shooters do exactly that last weekend. Hitting V's at 900 , then dropping a 3!
Cat
35 3,554 more...
Re: FS Vortex Viper sqweeler Yesterday at 02:05 PM
up
4 497 more...
Couple of current oddities Raeford Yesterday at 02:05 PM
The Biden administration has declared 'background checks' as racist or racially motivated[Sheetz hiring practices].

Would this NOT carry over to 'gun purchases'?

Our former POTUS which happens to be running for said office again is being tried in NY for paying NDA monies for possible sexual improprieties. Monies paid by a privately held corporation at that.

Yet our 'other' elected congresscritters have a taxpayer funded slush fund for doing the same. A fund which they refuse disclosures from.

Were any of those funds ever used for NDA's to cover for one senator J. Robinette Biden?

Clown world it is.
0 232 more...
Re: GOOD GUY LIST Legionnaire Yesterday at 01:56 PM
Bought some binoculars from CRUZZER. Smooth transaction from start to finish, and I'm pleased with the binos. Pleasure to do business with.
16,890 57,265,113 more...
Re: Viridian X5L Cam CharlieSisk Yesterday at 01:54 PM
$175
3 219 more...
Express Rifles and Big Bores Only Jump to new posts
Re: Who practises offhand with their double rifle? memtb Yesterday at 01:51 PM
While all of your offhand shooting is not required with your double…..it is designed for rapid use, up close and personal shooting. The shooter should practice a lot to be very efficient for fast target acquisition with his/her firearm.

Perhaps an inexpensive double shotgun, modified with added weight to somewhat replicate the handling characteristics of your double could be of help! Just a thought. memtb
9 1,139 more...
Knives and Blades Jump to new posts
Re: Online Knife Dealers MOGC Yesterday at 01:51 PM
Look out when buying knives from eBay. Unless it is one of the reputable knife dealers that place is full of knock-off knives. I have seen knock-off Spyderco, Microtech, and Chris Reeve knives all bought off eBay.
21 2,331 more...
Re: Brad Nailer TwoTall Yesterday at 01:49 PM
Another vote for the Milwaukee. I have had the bigger 2.5 inch nailer and the smaller pin nailer. Have been abused and work great. Battery longevity is good. I dropped my pneumatic nailer off a step ladder, something caught the hose a ways away, ran out bought the Milwaukee and haven’t looked back. No hoses or cords to drag around and get tangled is totally worth the money. Have a good assortment of cordless tools now.
27 1,332 more...
Backpack Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: A little help with a back pack Jeffrey Yesterday at 01:48 PM
I just bought an Eberlestock Renegade and love it. I own their F1 and also a halftrac. They are all great, but with different purposes. I think the Renegade would make an excellent day pack that could even be used for an overnighter. The compression straps and bottom fabric shelf make adding bulky items to the exterior pack a breeze. It would also make a great hunting pack and with a little ingenuity could haul meat if needed, though I’d pick the F1 with a modular pack if I was intending to pack game out.
17 1,937 more...
Page 12 of 17 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 16 17
AX24

713 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.