Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: City of Grants Pass Vs Supreme Court Seafire Yesterday at 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ben_Lurkin
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Interesting.

What's the point of the case? That it's unconstitutional for GP to prosecute/ move the campers?

Could have serious repercussions for other locations.

Facts of the case
The city of Grants Pass in southern Oregon has a population of approximately 38,000, and of that population, somewhere between 50 and 600 persons are unhoused. Whatever the exact number of unhoused persons, however, it exceeds the number of available shelter beds, requiring that at least some of them sleep on the streets or in parks. However, several provisions of the Grants Pass Municipal Code prohibit them from doing so, including an “anti-sleeping” ordinance, two “anti-camping” ordinances, a “park exclusion” ordinance, and a “park exclusion appeals” ordinance.

In September 2018, a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit decided Martin v. City of Boise, holding that “the Eighth Amendment prohibits the imposition of criminal penalties for sitting, sleeping, or lying outside on public property for homeless individuals who cannot obtain shelter.” While the Grants Pass Municipal Code provisions impose only civil penalties, they still can mature into criminal penalties.

A district court certified a class of plaintiffs of involuntarily unhoused persons living in Grants Pass and concluded that, based on the unavailability of shelter beds, the City’s enforcement of its anti-camping and anti-sleeping ordinances violated the Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause. A panel of the Ninth Circuit affirmed, and the Ninth Circuit denied rehearing en banc.

Question
Does a city’s enforcement of public camping against involuntarily homeless people violate the Eighth Amendment’s protection against cruel and unusual punishment?

Unhoused huh?

We need to quit acquiescing to the leftist language. These are drug addicts. Just like the ‘immigrants’ are illegal alien invaders.

THANK YOU!!! They are ALL Friggin drug addicts! They made a personal choice and keep it alive. It is not the public's job to feel sorry for these people. Its live saving someone over and over that is busy trying to drown themselves.

AND:

This is not about camping out on Forest Service or BLM property. Its about people, who just set up a tent, or some old RV that doesn't run very well or at all on the side by the curb in town... for months.. or some old beater vehicle. They are high, so they don't care... they throw their trash off to side.. they only move, when even their trash is bothering them it stinks so bad. So they leave it and just move their tents somewhere else.

The city has set aside land in certain parts of town, that only these drug addicts to camp in. They also provide portapotties for them to use the bathroom. NO they use them to shoot up, and then just crap on the ground or empty their bladder where ever they place. Drug addicts are a hazardous waste site, in a pair of flip flops or stolen tennis shoes or boots from Walmart. They have zero hygiene because they could care less. They steal everything they can, to conserve their money to be able to buy drugs. What part of this are people and even the Supreme Court failing to understand.

These people carry diseases. They care about nothing but getting high all day and all the time. These abuse welfare programs and steal just to focus on the drugs to feed their addictions. Most are to high to even care if they do overdose.

Is this the imagine of our nation, that we want to aspire to? Finding this in towns all over America? Well its already here.
Saw it from coast to coast, doing a 10,000 mile trip in November and December cross country, and back, and up and down the east coast. NOT as bad as we have it here on the west coast where the weather is a lot more accommodating than elsewhere for these people.

All the while, these people have MORE "RIGHTS" than anyone who isn't a drug addict. These people with illegal aliens also have many hospitals in this nation going bankrupt having to provide free health care for these people at the hospitals expense. which gets passed on to other paying patients and their insurance. They can't be refused treatment if they can't pay for treatment, courtesy of the Hill Ruddman Act, done back in the 80s. Good intentions that have gotten abuses, by people who scam the welfare systems of this nation.

I've had to chase some of these people off of the properties on each side of my wife's home here, both owned by widows who are elderly. These people just come on the property and set up a tent. 2 to 3 days later they have grown into 3 to 5 tents.

If this fails to get a positive ruling in the Supreme Court, all the other cities and counties nationwide following this case, are just going to see this problem get worse and worse.. and we will all have to start living in homes like you see in Mexico with jail bars over the windows and doors.

This crap is what is turning cities like Seattle, San Fran, LA and Potlandia into the third world. DemocRATS don't seem to care if that is their legacy, as long as they get to stay in office to supposedly 'manage' the problems it causes.
43 2,746 more...
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: What 35 whelen would you go after? Elvis Yesterday at 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by bwinters
[quote=beretzs]

Ruger made a very good 35 wh for a couple years in a SS Hawkeye. I had one and foolishly sold it. Wish I had that one back....

It was made in the blued/walnut Hawkeye as well. I bought one new.
101 14,965 more...
Re: Working in 2008 GMC Sierra 1500.... Seafire Yesterday at 08:17 AM
Randy,

Good to see you are alive and kickin.... Give our regards to Jo.

All I can add is I second what Paul had to say....

Changed the rear brake drums on the 2011 Tacoma I 'inherited' that came out of Massachusetts & New Hampshire.

The drum itself, had more of it gone due to rust, than was left on it...

I sure don't miss, living up north at all. Its not the cold or the snow that bothers me... its the road salt and the rust.

When I lived in Minnesota, you don't do any work on a vehicle that you have to remove a bolt or nut, without first heating up with a torch from a welder or what ever.

Had your dad's truck gives you a long service life. I wouldn't want one of these new trucks if I won it in a contest, or someone just gave me the keys to one. Hell I've even thought about finding an old VW bug or my beloved Squareback,
or a good shaped 60s Volvo wagon or up thru the early 80s, 245 station wagon... when they went to fuel injection, it was mechanical fuel injection. An EMP wouldn't phase any of those... and they'll run on about any kind of fuel.

Recently recalled the old tricks we use to use in Minnesota in the winter to keep gas lines from freezing. HEAT additive, takes the alcohol out of ethanol, then adding some 2 stroke oil to it, and I'm not having to buy fuel at the airport for my lawn mover. NOT having ethanol issues with my mowers, blower, chain saw and other power equipment that gets used a lot this time of year.

Don't you miss when the world was simple? That is why I keep running that old 88 4 Runner, buzzing 600K on the odometer...same engine and trans I drove it off the lot with back in 1987, when I bought her new with 2 miles on the odometer.
15 1,137 more...
IC B2
Varmint Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Load recs for fast twist .223 and .22-250 hanco Yesterday at 08:12 AM
I load the 62 grain TTSX for 223’s and 22/250’s. 62 grain Bear claws also
9 778 more...
AR and Tactical Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Lightweight Upper AR15 kk alaska Yesterday at 07:20 AM
My CDNN BM LW was so so in the accuracy dept. Sold it!
4 530 more...
Re: Say you hit a dog.... Cecil56 Yesterday at 06:46 AM
Last dogs I ran over was one night, after my bow shooting weekly meeting, in 1991. They jumped out of a weedy ditch with zero warning. Heard them thumping all the way back under my NEW one month old Oldsmobile.

The last thing they would have wanted, was me knocking on doors in search of the owner. I was pizzed and it cost $500 for the insurance deductible, for them letting the dogs run loose.

Worse was how I felt about the new car needing repairs. Kind of like being married one month, and your wife cheated on you. Things will never be the same.
75 4,551 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: FS: NEW SCHMIDT & BENDER 5-25x56 PMII LP P4FL - PRICE DROP jwp475 Yesterday at 05:26 AM
I have 2 of these scopes one is still unmounted new in the box, the other is mounted on my 348 Laupa. They are great scopes.
4 1,169 more...
Re: FS RCBS MATCHMASTER COMP. FL BUSHING SET IN 308 WIN & 224 VAL $130TYD Mwags Yesterday at 05:15 AM
Bump
1 149 more...
Re: FS Hornady Cam Lock Bullet Puller NIB Mwags Yesterday at 04:59 AM
Bump
3 374 more...
Waterfowl Jump to new posts
Re: Bucket List wilkeshunter Yesterday at 04:59 AM
It is hard to beat a flooded green timber hunt. I have been lucky to partake of this for about 20 years. We considered our first timber hunt a “bucket list” hunt, but we just kept going. Be built a lot of memories in the timber.
23 2,810 more...
IC B3
Tasco Spotting Scope 15-45x50 $50 Shipped Mwags Yesterday at 04:59 AM
Up for sale is a Tasco Spotting Scope 15-45x50 item number TS154550 . It comes with a table top tripod and carry case. Can send pics upon request. $50 TYD
0 70 more...
Re: soccer pracyus BALLISTIK Yesterday at 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
This, is truly an inane thread.

These posts always remind me of the following...so it always makes me smile. At least this one is already out and walking.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
9 624 more...
Re: Left hand Christensen Arms Mesa, 6.5 Creedmor Snowwolfe Yesterday at 04:38 AM
Note to self. Never buy another rifle from Christensen Arms, lol.
$250 under current online retail and no sales tax, and no bites!
Might as well keep it for now.
No longer for sale here.
18 1,880 more...
Single Shots Jump to new posts
Re: Flat shooting contender tdoyka Yesterday at 04:34 AM
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Originally Posted by tdoyka
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I have a 20 Vartarg 20” MGM barrel that will shoot 3 shot groups almost as good as Tred’s . I like the Vartarg better than the larger .20s like the Ruger as the muzzle blast, while still significant, is less and it allows you to mark your own shots. Pretty handy in a prairie dog town. A

i have a TC Encore with a 23" MGM factory heavy barrel in 20 Vartarg. i was in my "1 hole" phase when i did .173" at 100 yards with 5 shots/bench. i did 10 shots at 100 yards that was .213". it was a 32gr Hornady V Max with Reloder 7 and a CCI Benchrest SRP with reformed 221 Rem Fireball brass.

nowadays, the 20 VT is around 1/2 - 3/4" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench) with 34gr Midway/Midsouth HP with Reloder 7 and any SRP. it is great for taking out groundhogs, foxes and 'yotes.

WOW!….um…WOW!…. That is phenomenal shooting for “off the shelf” bullets and brass.

I love my Contender but really wish it had the no-turn chamber. As you get older you are less willing to give up time doing things you don’t want to do. Turning necks is not a great way to spend time.

weighing brass, turning necks, trimming brass to the exact same measurement, weighing bullets........it got tiring. after a while, the "1 hole" wasn't for me. i did Remington 221 rem fireball brass because it was the only one at the time. Lapua, Norma and Nosler wasn't even a scratch in their pants. i spent a lot of time at my bench rather than the shooting table. i shot Hornady, Nosler and another brand i just don't remember about 3500 - 4000 rounds out of the 20VT. it still shoots tight and groups great. i have a TC Contender in a 10" barrel with the 22 Hornet. i still have to shoot yet, but if i go 1 1/2 - 2" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench), i am satisfied.
24 3,018 more...
Turkey Hunting Jump to new posts
Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey 12ga DrDeath Yesterday at 04:19 AM
Anyone here use or shoot a Mossberg 940 pro turkey with the holosun optic? Looking for feedback and reviews. Thanks
0 113 more...
Re: 2005 Ruger PC4 Carbine 40 S&W MARCEL Yesterday at 04:17 AM
Bump
3 603 more...
Re: Need some help BMT Yesterday at 04:07 AM
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Thanks! I've been leaning toward the Two T's notion for some time. Thinkin' that Bob was just bein' clever. grin

He is clever
22 1,433 more...
Re: WTS: LEE .38 Special Carbide Die Set............ gunswizard Yesterday at 03:36 AM
BTT for hump day.
1 141 more...
Re: wtb reloading press LHS905 Yesterday at 03:34 AM
I've got a RCBS powder measure that's yours.

PM me where to ship it.

LHS
4 282 more...
Re: Motorcycle cop shot in back 2ndwind Yesterday at 03:34 AM
A 47 YO gangbanger.... apparently he never figured out how to grow up.
39 2,408 more...
Re: Shuffle board? MuskegMan Yesterday at 03:34 AM
Bocce ball is where it's at . . .
11 495 more...
Re: Leupold MK4 8.5-25 LR/T Ramsdude47 Yesterday at 03:05 AM
^
1 277 more...
Re: Woodleigh .375 300gr. Protected Point Soft Nose TheShootist Yesterday at 03:01 AM
Are these factory seconds? Or as new packaged in boxes?
6 591 more...
Re: Your second best friend? superlight17b Yesterday at 02:50 AM
Don't have one.
10 489 more...
Re: WTB Jcon72 Yesterday at 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by boatammo
About 15 pcs. Once fired or new 25-06 brass.

I have some and will PM you.
2 384 more...
Page 18 of 27 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 26 27
AX24

261 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.