24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Flyfishing Jump to new posts
Re: Who uses a wading staff Direct_Drive 04/23/24
'
Lower Deschutes mostly, big water where a staff helps a lot.
I use a converted ski pole.
I fancied it up with :
Stainless ring on the ski pole
1/8" black shock cord
Nail knotted and shrink tubed connections
Brass snap on my end
Grommet on a leather tab that is attached to my wading belt
Make the shock cord length slightly shorter than the staff so it will "keep" when walking the trail.

I made two in about '98 and still have both.

It's hard to find good donor ski poles with all the crazy bends and hook tips they use now.
Best bet is to sort through the bin at the used store and find an old school, straight shaft, straight (or cup) point pole.
Cross-country type ski poles are going to be more apt to have the wanted features.
20 5,444 more...
Upland Game Jump to new posts
Re: First time eating chukar. Why? Sako76 04/23/24
We used to hunt chuckars during the mid-day hours of our rifle mule deer hunts on the Deschutes River in Oregon, we used to raft in and pretty much had the place to ourselves. One year 7 rafts of chuckar hunters and their dogs came in and pretty much messed up the deer hunting.

After that, we went deer hunting a week earlier because chuckar season was closed. Boy, I missed those days! Tough choice for mid-day activity, chuckar hunting or trout and steelhead fishing!
46 10,237 more...
Free Classifieds Jump to new posts
Re: ++Remington 870 Express 16 gauge YOUTH+++ 160user 04/23/24
It looks like this one will just stay here.
9 1,136 more...
IC B2
Hunting Rifles Jump to new posts
Re: Suppressor E-Forms Approval Woodhits 04/23/24
Yes, form 3s are currently taking longer than form 4s.
32 2,888 more...
Re: RCBS 50 BMG Press 160user 04/23/24
No interest?
3 371 more...
Re: +++Cheap 870 16 Gauge+++ 160user 04/23/24
Up one last time before I stick it back in the closet.
7 939 more...
Flyfishing Jump to new posts
Re: Where can I buy Hogman or other well made felt sole hip boots Remhunter 04/23/24
I would highly recommend either a quality pair of stocking feet wading pants or Chota Hippies. With both you purchase whichever boots you want to wear separate.
8 1,778 more...
Hunter's Campfire Jump to new posts
Re: How about a auto maintenance/repair sub forum? Heym06 04/23/24
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Flashdog
I would bet that 5w-30 would work just fine in LA, especially in a 200k (just broken in) Toyota.
I think that also but what do I know.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Hastings
While we are on the subject, my wife has a 4 cylinder Toyota Highlander that has used oil from the day we bought it new. About a half quart every 800 miles or less which I have kept topped off. One time when I was absent for 3 weeks it went below the add mark. The recommended oil is 0W20 synthetic. Before our last oil change I started adding 5W30 synthetic. After about 4 times if either quit or slowed down dramatically on oil usage. Is that weight oil subject to cause engine lubrication problems?

I changed it last week with 0W20 but I might put some more 5W30 in it if it goes back to using. There are no leaks anywhere, it is going out the tailpipe.

2014 model with 200K on it.
I don't know about the rings as mentioned earlier. I do have a vehicle a 93 Trooper that uses about the same amount of oil, but it has 273,000+ miles on it. In seriousness the vehicle should not be using that much oil. Unless it has lots of miles. You never mentioned the age or mileage on the vehicle! I do know the wife's rig is turning 30,000 and it doesn't loose oil between changes.
I posted 2014 model with 200,000 but it has used that much oil since it was new. Toyota folks said that was normal and to be expected. I have a 2020 GMC 4WD with the small V8 and the only time it uses a little oil is with hard climbing in the Rockies. Other than that it can go the whole 7000 miles on the full mark.

I've got a 2005 4WD Tundra with over 300,000 miles and it uses very little oil. Toyota said to put 5W30 in it.
I missed the mileage part, seems odd that it has done that since new. Looks like you have it covered by switching oil. I’ve only bought a dozen or so new cars, from various manufacturers, never had one use oil like that.
27 1,367 more...
Re: FTC - Non-Competes EIB0879 04/23/24
I have had a few in my career. At my last job they had an especially onerous one that I refused to sign after I had an attorney look at it. Went back to them and said changes needed to be made and never heard about it again. Ended up being with the company another five years.
10 583 more...
Re: Transgender Zombie Arrested For Attempted Kidnapping of Child 7mmbuster 04/23/24
Originally Posted by Esox357
Bet a bullet would work on that Zombie.
Those little lead pills work miracles when administered with some moderate to high velocity.
11 760 more...
IC B3
Re: FS- Greek 6.5x54 Sporter kenster99 04/23/24
Sale pending.
6 627 more...
Re: BREAKING: Chris King Deceased DigitalDan 04/23/24
Good news always makes me smile.
20 1,486 more...
Re: Vanguard Endeavor Hd 65A Spotter REDVANES 04/23/24
ttt
2 247 more...
Re: CZ 550 Varmint MTSLW 04/23/24
SPF
2 514 more...
Re: Celine Dion says she diagnosed with Stiff Man syndrome Burleyboy 04/23/24
I was diagnosed with that about age 12. It made high school hell. I had to take a few F's rather than stand in front of the class. Started going away about age 40.

Bb
7 1,121 more...
Alaska Jump to new posts
Re: PETER PAN & TINKER BELL going Bye-Bye. MuskegMan 04/23/24
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Chums pay the bills to raise kings

I suppose that's the case. I know the guy who runs Taku Fisheries here in J-town. He buys the hatchery's chums and silvers. Chums are mostly a roe market as I'm sure you know. Americans expect salmon to be pink or reddish, which chum is not. I worked at the local salmon bake for a few years. They only served fresh king. Just try giving some white king to a DSMFer - they'll accuse you of trying to swindle them. He says there is a good market for the "pale" salmon in Asia as they are used to all the fish they eat being white fleshed.

He was also looking at marketing the milt to the Japanese. Apparently, the milt can be used in women's cosmetics. You know, Asian chicks like j.i.z.z. on their faces grin
12 2,053 more...
Re: Vogue got it right? Burleyboy 04/23/24
Is she the offspring of Omar and her brother?

Bb
8 1,021 more...
Re: FS Kimber Montana Alloy trigger guard cvmw 04/23/24
Btt
47 7,216 more...
Re: F/S aluminum Trigger guard for Remington 600 / Mohawk 600 / 660 cvmw 04/23/24
Bump.
468 311,180 more...
Gunsmithing Jump to new posts
Re: What causes certain barrels to hit pressure before others MuskegMan 04/23/24
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
The brass gripping the chamber walls is a myth. I tested even dipping a cartridge in oil. Same pressure on bolt face.
Charlie

PO Ackley ran some tests with a 30-30 Imp cartridge. This test indicated otherwise. I refer those interested to a Section titled "Pressure" in Vol I of his "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders".
I actually measured the pressure. John Barsness has the details in his books.

I found the article in GGII Charlie - thanks. I recognize that Ackley was trying to "sell" that minimum body taper (via an improved cartridge) reduces bolt thrust - and it doesn't when you're operating at higher (> 50 kpsi) pressures. Your Fuji film test show this. Brass actually does grip the chamber walls, which was my point. JB's article acknowledges that there can be zero bolt thrust when pressures are ~ 42 kpsi, or below, as the brass does not reach its elastic limit and stretch to conform to the full chamber length. At these lower pressures, primers out because the case does indeed grip the chamber wall. As JB writes, at about 50 kpsi, the brass stretches as pushes against the bolt face and transfers to the locking lugs. No attempt to discredit you - I think we are both right in regards to what we were trying to say.
29 2,669 more...
Re: Scotus grants cert in Frames and Receivers rule Rapier 04/23/24
As long as our elected "representatives" continually abrogate their Constitutional duties to make law and allow the now law violators to be lawmakers for them, then we have tyranny, in the Congress' name.. Short and not so sweet. IRS, DHS, DOJ, ATF, etc. Congress is directly responsible as our, the people's, oversight, to keep the clowns in control, and obviously they, The Congress, have failed to oversee and control the appointees under them.
8 1,186 more...
Re: WTB Ruger M77 red recoil pad hikerbum 04/23/24
I believe i may. Will check.
3 324 more...
Re: John Burns and Rick Camuglia 24’ earlybrd 04/23/24
So Jonboi will be crowned 1st lady
80 7,623 more...
Backpack Hunting Jump to new posts
Re: Oztent RV3 duckster 04/23/24
These do look really interesting but have not used one myself so interested to follow for any comments.
1 273 more...
Re: WTS: Stainless Python timspawn 04/23/24
UP
1 389 more...
Page 26 of 27 1 2 24 25 26 27
AX24

582 members (219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 3,026 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,337
Posts18,468,690
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.