bsa: Yes it's about 8 pounds, which was the magic number for a "mountain rifle"back in the 60's/70/s before we figured out synthetic stocks. A 270/280 used to be somewhat lighter even in wood. My wood stacked FW's are a bit lighter.

This was state of the art when it was built.Just how they did it back then when you built a rifle and stock from scratch as opposed to simply bedding a a pre made synthetic. The engraving is nice embellishment but mostly useless; the checkering is very attractive but beyond what's required to get a grip on the rifle. I guarantee its' VERY comfortable to shoot, points and hangs like a dream because the stock design and grip is outstanding.

Len Brownell was a master, even if less well known than guys like Biesen. In truth I am more a Maurice Ottmar and Len Brownell person than Biesen but we are comparing superlatives. If you can hit on an Ottmar with Burgess metal I don't know what's better.....maybe George Hoenig ? So many great ones.

I knew lots of guys who owned these rifles....one other was a lawyer, another a sports shop owner. Another a master electrician, another a construction worker. None were what i would call wealthy; they all worked.

This rifle cost me less money than my Mashburn and maybe the same as a GAP. If I had a builder like gene Simillion build it today it would cost much much more.

The best bargains for these kinds of rifles is definitely the used market. They are pretty so people don't hunt or shoot them.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.