Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pre64win. This one you haven't seen. It was put together very well and is my main elk hunting rig. It too is "8 pounds" all up. 4 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Oh the beauty of an H&H action my friend. I know you like customs and putting together a good rifle. This is a good one for its intended purpose.

1954 H&H receiver
338WM Match grade gretan barrel
Brown precision pounder stock (weighs in about 20 oz's with paint and recoil pad)
Midnight blue cerakote

I recently had a rifle come through the shop with an MPI ultralight stock (cabon fiber over rigid foam). It also weighed 20 oz. It was so lightweight I wondered how well it would hold up to recoil and general abuse in the field... and I say this as an engineer who worked extensively on the carbon fiber structure of the Boeing 787! I mean, that stock was so lightweight it almost felt fragile. It also felt a bit imbalanced, with nothing to counter the weight of the barrel. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this regarding the Brown Precision stock.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I pulled the Swaro off because it tracked for chit and installed a cheap Zeiss. Much prefer a scope that tracks vs. one that doesn't. Regardless of how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!

Scopes are hit and miss for me. I've had fantastic $500 scopes and some very poor $2500 scopes. Austria has generally treated me very well. I particularly like the Austrian made Zeiss glass (haven't owned a US made one) and recently had a Kahles come through that I liked a lot. For my shooters, Leupold's have always seemed to perform well for the price, although I have had a few where I could never get the eye relief or parallax adjusted in a way I liked. As for the Swarovski, I haven't owned one. However, if a company is going to charge what they do, it better be amazing.

Last edited by pre64win; 08/30/16.