Originally Posted by pre64win
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Pre64win. This one you haven't seen. It was put together very well and is my main elk hunting rig. It too is "8 pounds" all up. 4 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. Oh the beauty of an H&H action my friend. I know you like customs and putting together a good rifle. This is a good one for its intended purpose.

1954 H&H receiver
338WM Match grade gretan barrel
Brown precision pounder stock (weighs in about 20 oz's with paint and recoil pad)
Midnight blue cerakote

I recently had a rifle come through the shop with an MPI ultralight stock (cabon fiber over rigid foam). It also weighed 20 oz. It was so lightweight I wondered how well it would hold up to recoil and general abuse in the field... and I say this as an engineer who worked extensively on the carbon fiber structure of the Boeing 787! I mean, that stock was so lightweight it almost felt fragile. It also felt a bit imbalanced, with nothing to counter the weight of the barrel. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on this regarding the Brown Precision stock.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I pulled the Swaro off because it tracked for chit and installed a cheap Zeiss. Much prefer a scope that tracks vs. one that doesn't. Regardless of how much it costs!!!!!!!!!!

Scopes are hit and miss for me. I've had fantastic $500 scopes and some very poor $2500 scopes. Austria has generally treated me very well. I particularly like the Austrian made Zeiss glass (haven't owned a US made one) and recently had a Kahles come through that I liked a lot. For my shooters, Leupold's have always seemed to perform well for the price, although I have had a few where I could never get the eye relief or parallax adjusted in a way I liked. As for the Swarovski, I haven't owned one. However, if a company is going to charge what they do, it better be amazing.

To be honest, the MPI is a pile of garbage when compared to a stock like the Brown Precision Pounder. The pounder has fulfilled my every need and I have never felt as if it were fragile in any way. This is the only one I've had, but I have to say I really like it. I've had other stocks that have similar ergo's like the Bansner and didn't really care for them. Maybe because the grip is slimmer and longer on the Brown Precision or maybe because the balance just seems to be better. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I do know I have nothing negative to say about the pounder when it's cuppled to a rifle like the one posted above. Now for a featherweight, I prefer the Mcmillan hunters compact. Hold the edge fill too. Don't really like that and prefer the standard fill on the compacts with anything bigger than a 270. My buddy BobinNH posted something on the pounder, but I haven't read it yet. I do believe he runs a pounder on his 270 or 30-06 fwt, but to me the 22" barrel just looks odd on that stock. To each their own though...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA