Redcoat,

Thanks so much for your super detailed information. Your information is so helpful some of us may become a pain the the hind end asking for more advice. If that starts to happen you should charge us a fee. If you don't mind I may plagiarize some of your words and send a request for info to Lyman Corp., and ask them to search their archives (or old employees) and clarify these different models of receiver sights. I did manage to find a photo of a Model 95 with one of these sights (Lyman 21?) on an auction on Gunbroker.com. The photos clearly show the sight. Here's the link: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=9505965
In regards to the bolt mounted Winchester 98A peep sight, I think there is a local shop here in Seattle (Stan Baker) who has a Model 95 with this sight. I'll confirm that with the shop.

I'm very interested in these sights and will take a very close look. At 49, my eyesight has grown a bit weak, and I have taken to using a scope on my main hunting rifle (a Model 99 Savage in 250-3000, topped it with a vintage 4x El Paso Weaver). Still, these old Savage rifles (and of course, Winchester levers) were designed to be used with iron sights, not scopes. I do have a 30-40 Krag sporter that has a Lyman peep sight, but I seldom shoot the gun (I shoot southpaw). Maybe by using a Lyman "ghost ring" on my Winchesters (Model 95's, Model 94) I can improve to the point of not having to use a scope.

Thanks again,
Cliff
Seattle