Well guys, thanks for all of your inputs. Today I purchased a rifle for my 16 year old kid. I found a new Model 700 Remington, BDL deluxe Ingraved, 270 Winchester caliber for a good price. The bolt is the normal 700 bolt before the funny locking mechanism came out. So I suspect it is 4-5 years old. It was the floor model, no scratches, or marks, and between the older bolt with no locking mechanism, and the nice ingraving on top of the receiver and the floorplate (has a Ram in the middle of the floor plate), I decided this was his rifle from me. If he doesnt like the stock, he can always put something different on at a later date. I shot a 270 win for years, and in the end, it came down to proven caliber, doesnt beat up your shoulder, good flat shooter for the west, and plentiful ammo available at most stores. Just seemed like the thing to do.

Then, after I did that today, I went by my gunsmith, and low and behold he had just taken posession of a Model 77 Ruger, Tang safety model, 25-06 with a 24 inch bull barrel. The rifle was in cherry condition, so I decided I needed it as my next toy. At least it keeps the reloading busy, and I figure either of my boys are welcome to shoot the 25-06 if I am not hunting with it. Ya just gotta love it. Now if I can just survive the 10 day waiting period here in CA!!!