Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Huntz
I will have to try these Lee crimp dies.Seems like everyone likes them.

I was very skeptical, but gave them a try when the last round in my 5 shot magazine in my .375 H & H would get pushed in the case by recoil because I was seating the bullets out where there was no ring to crimp on (with a conventional die anyway).

Three rounds in the mag were no problem, but this rifle held 1 + 5 shots and the bullet in the last round would start to move in spite of an undersized expander ball in my sizing die.

The Lee collet crimper die allowed me to crimp even on a smooth X bullet, fixed the problem of the bullet moving, and cost very little. I do not recall accuracy changing at all, but some have sure reported improvements.

I understand Lee crimp dies for pistol calibres do not use the fingers and collet, but I sure like the rifle dies (which do use this approach).

John
I've never seen bullets slide back in the brass from recoil. You need to anneal your necks more often to remove the springyness(may not be a word). Like I said before after 5-6 firings they seem to spring open a bit after sizing. My findings. I don't know metalurgy but something seems to happen to the brass and it develops a memory. Maybe others with more experience know why or can explain it better than I can.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.