n007;
I hope this finds you and yours well on the Island this fine and slightly damp afternoon.

As you mentioned it happened in Cranbrook where the mule deer have apparently moved into town in a big way. I was on gunnutz when I first saw it and will have to say I found some of the responses enlightening to say the least.

Urban deer have been increasing to the point of becoming problems in the Okanagan since the late '90's I'd say.

Deer in close proximity have been a reality for us since we moved onto our small acreage 18 years ago. Some of the first lessons we taught our daughters were to watch for deer and then to watch them once they were spotted.

Last spring we had at least 2 sets of twins born on our place, one set becoming regular visitors to the yard. One day the doe was training both the fawns how to chase cats away! grin

Our cats which were involved in the lesson were not amused. wink

One or two folks on the other site figured the cat was just trying to figure out how to eat the fawn and having watched cats around marmots and rabbits they've taken down, I'd concur.

As far as the dog goes, I've seen the very end as two small Spaniel sized dogs took down a young whitetail buck - right across the street from the Midway Hotel.

While the dog in the video might not have had the wherewithal to do much to the fawn it must have smelled the same to the doe as a dog that could. Timing can be everything can't it? frown

Anyway, the video is a pretty clear example of animals acting how they act everyday -from what we've seen over the better part of two decades living with mulies.

Thanks for the link and have a great weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"