Originally Posted by Skullworks
I work in the apparel industry and when we offer customer "USA Made" items they usually buy things made overseas because of the price difference. Sadly the majority of Americans let their wallet decide where their loyalty lays.

Ditto that. I worked in the apparel industry for 24 years, and we actually tested the same products made in USA vs. imported. Same margin, but of course the USA goods cost us more so they had to be priced higher. The imported products at a lower price always beat the USA products. When it comes to shopping, people (even members of manufacturing unions) virtually always vote with their dollars for foreign goods.

Short story: I was once at a gun show working behind a table, and a guy came along wearing a jacket that had "USS Ronald Reagan" embroidered on it. He asked me if the product I was selling was made in USA because "I don't buy anything not made in USA."

Me: "That's great! And yes, this is made in USA down in South Carolina. I've been there and watched it being made." Then I said, "Nice jacket! Is that made in USA?"

Him: "Yes, I bought this at the gift shop on the ship after having a tour on the ship."

Me: "Mind if I take a look at the label?" I knew it wasn't made in USA.

Him: "No." And he took his jacket off and handed it to me.

Me: "Here's the label. Don't get mad, but it says 'Made in Bangladesh'."

Him: Stunned look.

Me: "I'm sorry, but I can tell you that the companies that manufacture clothing in the United States are very small and can't compete with foreign manufacturers. And I can tell you that if your jacket had been made in the USA, it would have cost much more than you paid. I can also tell you that the underwear you're wearing was made in Canada, but I don't want to look at it. Almost all men's underwear sold in the United States is made in Canada."

The textile and apparel industries are almost gone from the United States. And, virtually every apparel company is having their clothing made in the same overseas factories, so that very little distinguishes one brand from another these days.

Sad, but true.

Why has this happened? It boils down to the cost of labor and raw materials. Every third world nation, when it begins to participate in the world economy, begins in the textile and clothing industry. Low wages means low retail pricing. Simple, repetitive tasks means good quality (when inspected by the buyer under threat of rejection.) When the quality is inferior, it's because the buyer accepts it.

Steve

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt