After the first weekend of elk hunting where I generally use my 340 wby, and hunt as a team member where I usually watch for other hunters to push elk past me in some remote typographical choke point,I generally base camp out of a parked truck and spend 3-4 days at a time back packing into areas I hunt elk in so Im not forced to travel a great deal most days from where I sleep to where Im hunting ,I generally camp where ever I am when it gets dark,but to be successful at hunting this way requires cold camping and minimal influence on the area naturally ,so I must carry everything with me into an area and keep things as light and low bulk as possible. for years I carried a 35 whelen or 30/06 remington slide action or on some trips a 44 mag lever gun, ranges tend to be under 100 yards because I tend to hunt small steep side canyons and its rare to see other hunters.
the last trip I made I carried a ruger #1 light sporter in 270 win with peep sites
[Linked Image]
its a great choice in my opinion, for that application. now I got asked several times why I didn,t just carry a 44 mag or similar revolver, well revolvers are great but Ive seen far to many nice elk out at 150-200 yard ranges to ever consider a revolver as a primary hunting weapon for elk, and while Id have zero problem using a revolver at 100 yards or less Im not going to hunt with only a revolver or carry two firearms while back-packing and hunting in some of the steepest country imaginable, miles into some remote canyon .

well what do you guys use?