I'm not a fan of the VX-I, and I certainly like the best glass you can get for the money, and you can get a lot better glass in the same price range as the VX-I, but that being said, I don't think anyone would miss out on a deer in legal hunting hours in this part of the country using a VX-I. Since I still have one of mine mounted on a muzzle loader I've hunted with it a fair amount, and while I certainly like being able to make out more detail in low light, I'd certainly be able to kill a deer with it up until the end of legal shooting time, as well as to see if it was buck or doe.

That said, I've never had a problem with a Simmons or Tasco I have either. I can see just fine well past legal shooting time with either of those as well.

The thing I have more problems with than worrying about last light, is the glare from the sun. As mentioned above, I've had this problem with several scopes I've owned. I've never missed a deer because of it, but I've been in a few spots where had a deer come out in that direction, it would have been extremely hard to get a shot off. The Nikon Prostaff and even the Monarchs I have now, are extremely bad about this. The VX-I isn't great here, but it's no where near as bad as the Monarchs, and I've not had a major problem with it.
Luckily the scope I use on my main hunting rifle is pretty good in this area.

Really the problem I've had with the VX-I's have been them failing to hold zero, and their super inaccurate adjustments. While I'm disappointed in the glass for the price compared to other offerings out there, the glass isn't the reason I don't like the scope.