Originally Posted by Stetson
Who gives my money back? You? The Government?
I think perhaps what you meant to say was if a really sophisticated investor like yourself buy's groceries as an investment then if/when you eat those 25 year old groceries (Yum!) that you don't have to buy the groceries for that meal in the future. That's hardly the same thing as "getting your money back" ..... even with food inflation.
Maybe it's just me but I've never received a dividend from a can of peas....LOL

It took you long enough to figure out stockpiled food is not a 100% loss as you originally said. You recover your money when you eat it in lieu of purchasing food you would otherwise need. And no, we are not talking about 25 year-old groceries, we are talking about food that has a known shelf life of 25 plus years. You have the security of having an emergence food supply for 20 plus years and then recovering your investment by eating it in lieu of new purchases. Any loss is made up by the value of being prepared for 20 years, just like paying for insurance you never collect on.

Originally Posted by Stetson
Fact check. The government does not track Gold sales unless you buy 10k or more in a single day making it a wee bit hard (just like the past) to collect what they don't know exists.

The way they got most people to comply in the past was by making gold hoarding a federal felony. Every time you sold any of your gold you would risk detection or if it was uncovered during a fire, flood, or other emergency you would risk confiscation, fines and jail time. The risk outweighs the benefit of having gold, so most people give it up.