Originally Posted by mike762
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
well that's just crazy mike

how's a guy gonna retire with big bucks if his house he couldn't afford doesn't inflate in value?

have you never been to California?

Oh yeah. I have cousins there. I also used to live in Florida, but was fortunate enough to sell my house in '06 at peak.

I never could figure the logic of using a durable good that depreciates unless repaired as a retirement plan. Maybe if that property was rented and had some cash flow, yes, but a primary residence? Too much reliance on the greater fool theory.

no argument from me

I never count my house as an asset in total net worth even though it's paid for,

it still costs money to maintain it and keep it from freezing up

therefore imo it's a liability, not an asset

rental property that cash flows is an asset

fortunate that we have a MIL apartment above the garage so our house does indeed produce some income

but not enough to offset completely the expense of living here, fuel, elec., snow plowing, maintenance and property tax

so it's still a liability, just not as expensive as it would be without any rental income from it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.