Originally Posted by Greyghost
Where in the world a violent robery came from is beyond me....

Done with thread, and will leave it at this, I keep a loaded 44 mag handy when home, some one comes onto my property and breaks into my home. There won't be any talking, won't be any questions or trying to persuade the guy to leave... first step he takes towards me, my wife or one of my dogs the guy gets one between the eye's and their won't be any regrets...

But there is no property, not mine or not yours that is worth anyones life... you all can talk all you like!

But once the guy decides to leave and is no longer a threat to mine, my family's, or anyones life, it's done, I'm not going to chase down a crook gun in hand like some madman.

Twist the facts any way you like...

We're not in the day's of vigilantism and the hangman's noose...
You want to play cowboy and indians, have at it. Just be prepared to pay the consequences!

Phil
I think you're making some assumptions. I'm not a violent or bloodthirsty person and most of the people I see defending this guy aren't ime, either. Granted I know none of them face-to-face but...

The robber who breaks into your home may not be "violent" either. I saw no evidence that this guy acted like a mad dog and was out to do vigilante justice or anything. Have you ever been robbed? Your first reaction is to grab a gun, if you have one left. I don't think this is for the purpose of coercion in forcing the bad guys to give your stuff back. IMO it is an instinct from someplace deep in your conciousness telling you that the person may still be around and may be dangerous to you. That you have the gun for this purpose and the person presents themselves to you makes it easy for you to prevent the robbery. There aren't very many here who would not act in the exact way I'm describing including the guy we are talking about. This is instinctual. If circumstances dictated that you end up shooting the guy, you will feel bad about it if indeed it looks like it was all over property. In some places it is even against the law to shoot that way. It shouldn't be. That's because to most guys, the whole thing is instinctual. If you don't understand this or aren't like this I don't know what to say other than I'm guessing that 90% of men are-and I mean no offense by what I'm saying.

This is separate...if somebody is stealing from you they are ultimately threatening the lives of your family. IMO the reason it is so ingrained to defend your property is that back in the ancient old timey type days of yore and suchlike, if you had raised some corn to feed your family and cows and somebody took it, your family had nothing to eat. We know the end result of that.