Originally Posted by Stetson
If your doom and gloom scenario does come true you won't be selling your food supply either making it less "valuable" than Gold.

It all depends on how much food a person has and what the current disaster is. If I have enough food for 10 years and the disaster is only economic and not likely to last that long, sure I'll use extra food to buy whatever I need. If you show up starving I might sell you a pound of food for a pound of gold. No skin off my nose if you don't like the price.

An Investment is something you expect to sell or profit from. I would never sell my food supply in that scenario (and no one would buy it in any other event) but I would gladly trade Gold and Yes I'll be happy to sell Gold at 5K an ounce!

Yet many people buy emergency supplies by the truckload thinking an investmate in their survival is profitable. And yes, I believe you would sell your gold for fiat money just before it became worthless. Someone has to play that part.

As far as Gold not keeping up with inflation any one can manipulate a chart in hindsight to prove a point. Now show us a chart for Gold for the last seven years and tell us again that it hasn't kept up with inflation. BTW how did Gold end today?

I posted the chart from 1975 to 2011. Anyone can look it up if they think I manipulated it and if you do you'll see that prior to 2005 gold prices did not keep up with inflation going back 30 years, it's just a fact. The current price of gold represents fear of debt and inflation, but if the economy rebounds strong there'll once again be a lot more money in stocks and greed will cause investors to sell off gold. Big investors can sell fast enough to keep from taking a blood bath, but small investors with physical gold we be left holding the bag.

I got a good laugh when I opened the current issue of The Vanguard today and had a look at your selective cut n paste post on TIPS.

I posted the last 5 years results on VIPSX, not TIPS. I get a laugh out of those who don't see the downside risk in current gold prices and want to tell others about investing. laugh