Originally Posted by Stetson
And since 2005...Facts do get in the way don't they.

Never said gold hasn't risen rapidly since 2005. In fact, the graph I posted shows this fast rise as well as gold's poor performance in the years prior to 2005. It's you who have the blinders on. laugh

Ironic isn't it? You don't even realize what type of fund you are suggesting or what it's invested in let alone the risks. I guess that's what happens when "investors" like yourself use articles you don't understand.

Yes, VIPSX invests in TIPS, but the part you missed is that they have invested in them over 10 plus years, so you looking at current TIPS yields shows your beginner status as an investor.

BTW Your TIPS fund (VIPSX) has returned a whopping 7.5% over the last ten years.
Gold has increased 300+% over the last ten years.
Inflation has averaged roughly 3% per year over the last ten years.
I'd say Gold has had inflation beat a wee bit longer than 2005.

BTW you don't know what you are talking about. Like the beginner you are you only looked at share price, you missed all the dividends that were paid out. laugh In the last 10 years an investment in VIPSX has doubled so it has gained against inflation and will do even better if inflation increases. If you don't think inflation is going to be a problem why would you buy gold? If your goal is to maximize your return and don't mind taking risk you can do better buying Apple stock or investing in international funds. Maybe you think gold has no downside risk.