Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Ya know. In reading some of the posts where a few put the officers involved down for making the decision to arrest didn't sit very well with me. It's really easy to be a back seat driver, or an arm chair quaterback, or any other term you want to apply. One mentioned, "what happened to officer discretion"? We have all the time in the world to sift through things after the fact, but a cop has to make his decision right then and there for the most part. I made arrests maybe that I shouldn't have made. But based on the situation at hand, I made my decision. If the cause was found, the arrest stood. If the evidence didn't support me, as in this case, the charges were dropped. Everyone involved with this did the job they were hired to do.

After actually reading (blush) the article, I can't disagree with you one bit.

It does lead me to question though, how much latitude do officers have in using judgment to how a law is applied? Would that officer come under a lot of heat from supervisors and such had he come to the same conclusion that the DA did?

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.