Wow that last paragraph was telling Mac, thank you for candidly discussing your positioning and thoughts on these matters.

unless I'm missing something here, your earlier advice is more towards folks just now beginning to smell a rat or that didn't have the means to protect their savings or possibly no savings to protect 10 years ago.

don't expect you to follow my posts, but I mentioned awhile back if anyone told me I'd be buying gold at $1550 versus selling what I'd purchased I'd have laughed at them.

but times change and hopefully so do our strategies to adapt to those changes.

right now it looks like it was an okay move to buy a little more at 1550, but it has driven up my b/e point to almost $450 an oz.

but we were sitting on too much cash, (yes I know what a blessing it is to have that problem in this day and age) and I was worried about the US$ declining even more in the years to come, so yes we did indeed move some more to PM's

I too have farm land, but it's a long ways away from where I sit.

a real long way, we just lease the land out to real farmers.

While we have food stuffs and a place to retreat to, that would be extremely difficult for other folks to get to with a little judicious use of a chainsaw, I take some comfort if in the event the "mass suicide" you mention takes place we'd have a place to sit out the confusion in relative peace.

thank you for the links provided, I hope you don't feel I'm chewing upon your ankles, but do you have any links to where one purchases foodstuffs with a 25 year shelf life?

I've mostly got the cans of MH stuff which I believe is a 10 year shelf life.

as I've mentioned here before, oz's of gold are not to buy a loaf of bread, but to buy a bakery or a field of wheat when the dust settles.

silver will/would be used to purchase basic necessities that are available (if any)

but the best resource in truly dire times is to be as self sustainable as possible without much need to purchase much of anything. Believe it's called preparation. I call it insurance.

lest anyone think I'm subscribing to the doom and gloom prophecies, I'm not, we're continuing to expand our businesses, to hopefully rake even more US$'s.

but these times seem to me to certainly call for some prudence in a "what if" scenario. More so than I've ever witnessed in my adult life of half a century.

really appreciate all you guys sharing your strategies, it just confirms my view that the campfire is filled with guys with above average intelligence

and I personally find these types of conversations useful in my positioning to do the best I can for my family.

my hat goes off to all you gents. Thank you for your additions to this conversation.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.