Just for the sake of discussion ...

I disagree on one key point. I don't believe there will be massive starvation in an economic crises. In a worst case scenario Marshall Law and govt takeover of critical infrastructure could avert this. However, it would require fast action by the govt but as long as measures could be implemented prior to the springtime growing season we could produce more than enough food.

The US has more than ample ability to feed the population. We're a net exporter of food. The large agricultural corporations capable of producing vast quantities of basic foods make this even more viable than in the days of small family owned farms. The corporate systems of transportation, wholesalers and supermarkets limits the number of entities that would need to be regulated, subsidized or given priorities to in order to remain functional. Think Walmart, General Mills, Kraft Foods, Tyson Foods, etc.

There would be disruptions in distribution and even chaos for a limited time but the problems could be sorted out. The US govt will never disappear and if all the resources of the govt are brought to bear almost anything can be overcome.

I fully understand the concept of "too big to fail" but the last industries to fail would be food suppliers and their related infrastructure. No matter how bad things get, people will continue to buy food. That will keep these businesses from going under ... for awhile ... at least long enough for ...

But ... What will actually happen and could the govt accomplish this? Who knows for sure.