Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
thank you for the links provided, I hope you don't feel I'm chewing upon your ankles, but do you have any links to where one purchases foodstuffs with a 25 year shelf life?

Here's the link to Nito-Pak, which sells both Mountain House and Backpackers freeze-dried food in #10 cans, both of which are rated for 25 year shelf life. If you can afford it, they have "units" put together that have a year supply of food for 1 person.

When I got into this years ago I ordered all the different foods in pouches and figured out which ones we liked and which we didn't. Then I ordered the good stuff in #10 cans. They come 6 cans to a case. Nitro Pak puts everything in unmarked boxes so as not to make it too obvious what you're getting.

For those who don't have a lot of money to spend on emergency food, you get more bang for your buck with the dehydrated food, which Nitro Pak also sells, but it has a shelf life of 8 to 15 years depending on what it is and how it's stored. If you just buy the Mountain House reserve units you'll spend up to $13 a day per person for a 2,430 calorie diet. If you do your research and buy certain freeze-dried foods and certain dehydrated foods you can provide a 2,500 calorie diet for $5 a day per person. You'll be eating rice, beans, creamed beef and crackers a lot of the time, but you'll be eating. Of course if you're caring around some extra body fat you won't need that many calories a day to start with. smile

All the information is on the Nitro Pak site, just stick it in a spreadsheet and figure out what you need.