Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I wouldn't be so quick to lavish undue praise on the CA over this. Anyone who thinks the flood of negative media attention played no role in the final outcome of this case may be underestimating the ability of DAs to assess prevailing wind direction.

Here's one clue from the release that indicates he may not be entirely on the side of the righteous:

"Ultimately, citizens should forgo direct involvement in the apprehension or detainment of suspected criminals," Velardi said in the release.

On this point, I would ask the gentleman for further clarification. Specificallly, does he believe that direction should apply within the confines of one's own home? His statement seemed somewhat definitive, and if I lived within his jurisdiction, I'd be more than a little interested in the answer.
That statement tends to confirm my initial statements, i.e., the treatment of the shooter was designed to show general disapproval on the part of "the authorities" for regular folks dealing directly with criminals caught in the act.