Felt soles!!! They've been banned here in RI. A lovely algae we lovingly refer to as "Rock Snot" is spreading everywhere and fish and wildlife feels felt sole waders are part of the problem. So no felt soles.

Well, I went out to a pond that was stocked "special" for a tournament last weekend, which was our free weekend where no license was needed. They put a bunch of fish in a 30 acre pond including 100 Golden Trout. I caught a nice 2 pound rainbow on my third cast. I got nothing more for about an hour of casting and then I hooked a big one. I had the fish on for 10 minutes before I saw it and it looked like a salmon. I got it up top and it was a golden trout. 20" long and 5 or 6 pounds. I got it out of the net and it was so wide I couldn't pick it up. I had to lip it. I gave the fish a little c.p.r. and let if swim. I got 2 more rainbows and another golden trout. The 2 pound rainbow was the smallest fish. It was great.

I watched a guy in a belly boat with a fly rod dragging a floating line through the water kicking across the pond. He caught 3 fish I saw and all were small, under 12". Interesting. They obviously put smaller fish too, but I was hooking the good ones. I tried every wet fly I could find and got all 5 fish on a red and black leach. Nothing else interested them at all. I'm going to try again ASAP. I've got to get fish on the swap flys. Got to. My buddy said the fish get hammered and a unique fly would get their attention. They're unique. The modified bugger should have done it. It was a neat couple hours of fishing.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson