I'll first off say that I am not an expert but I do shoot my 338wm a fair amount out to 500 yards. The best way I can describe it is that I know where the bullet is going to hit everytime.

My 338wm is a Winchester Model 70 Classic with a #4 weight 26" barrel. I shoot 250 grain bullets. For hunting I use Swift AFrames and I practice with Hornady Interlocks. With 71 grains of H4831sc I'm getting 2600 to 2650 at the muzzle.

I have had good results on game out to 500 yards with this rig. The accuracy is good and the POI does not seem to be affected by wind too much. Bullet penetration has been good at range and too good at less than 300 yards.

The AFrames have held together well in every kind of animal and the more modest velocity does not seem to bloodshot the meat.

I have not hunted Africa but Elk and Moose are what I would call large with a large northern moose going over 1000 pounds for reference. I have taken these and bears out to 400 yards and from the results I have seen I would, under the right conditions, take a 500 yards shot. Having said that the majority of my shots are under 200 yards.