I don't like talking on the phone while driving, so when I got a phone call today while driving home (to Wisconsin) from work (in Illinois) I turned on a side road and pulled over on the gravel to answer my call. I have a normal plain pickup truck, all up to date, everything legal.

I was talking for a while there on the side of the road when I notice a Ill Lake Co. Sheriff pull up behind me with lights on. I suppose he was just checking things out, which I can understand. He could see me still talking on the phone as he approached, and then I got off the phone as he neared the window.

I had my window down and he asked why I was pulled over here.
I told him I don't talk on the phone while driving, so I pulled over here to take a call.
Then he asked for an ID.

I asked if I was doing anything wrong? He said he could write me up for being illegally parked. I gave him my ID and he went back to his car.

He came back a bit later, and then asked where I was headed.
"Home."

Then he asked where I work.
I'm sure he could tell I was getting agrivated at that line of questioning... I told him where I work.
And then he asked which street that was on (like he didn't believe me).

I was about to start protesting at this questioning, when he said if I didn't like his line of questioning he could just write me up on the illegal parking ticket... mad

I just told him the street name, he gave me my ID back and he said I was free to be on my way.

It felt so much like the Nazis in a snearing voice, "...let me see your papers." mad

Yet another reason why Illinois SUCKS.

Looking back now I wish I would've refused his questioning and just took the ticket.
Maybe he was a disgruntled Bears fan and didn't like my Cheesehead plates. smile

Last edited by BlackFrog; 01/11/13.