-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've always had my dogs cremated over the years but when my old Pete dog died this spring I decided to build him a coffin and bury him proper. Not a plywood box but a nice pine coffin with brass hardware and lined with his favorite old mi-surp wool blanket.
Naturally I needed a place to bury him so I went out back and picked a nice little spot overlooking the river and built a place to lay him and the rest of em to rest.
The grass has come in and it's starting to look like something so while I was out tending it today I took a couple pix to share with the other dog men around here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A neighbor and friend painted this old saw blade for me a couple of years ago.
He's not the best painter but the saw's cool and his intention was even cooler so I gave it a few coats of clear enamel to preserve the paint and hung it up. I think it's fitting.

[Linked Image]

There's two Labs (father and son), three GSP's and a Mountain Cur buried there now.
They weren't the best hunting dogs in the world but they were good enough.

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Outstanding... Dogs deserve more dignity than they often receive after they pass.. A beautiful thing there Field..

Like you I have cremated most of my goldens.. They are resting it my loading room.. I did bury my first and forth in my yard.. Since I live in town, I had to be cautious.. Their deaths caught me off guard.. I wasn't expecting it .. So did the best I could.. I always figured I would leave this house and town, and wanted my pals to go along.. That is why I cremated the others..

Thanks for sharing.. truly and awesome thing you have done there..

Molon Labe
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a number of my dog's buried here. I'll be cremated when I'm gone and my ash's dumped a bit on each grave. Then the urn and remaining ash's get buried on top of my Hannah. My dog's may not have been the best either but they were my dog's!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I always figured I would leave this house and town, and wanted my pals to go along.. That is why I cremated the others..

That was my reasoning too but this little shack on the river's as far as I'm going at this point so I thought I'd make sure their remains didn't end up in a garbage can when I'm gone.

I'm glad I did too. It's comforting to have em around when I'm puttering or to just stop and reflect. No bad memories there.

Edit,,,, if you noticed there's plenty room for the two that are still with me.
Heck,,, there might even be room for me if they'll have me. LOL

Last edited by FieldGrade; 06/10/15.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am sure they do make one comfortable and provide good memories..

Just wish I liked this town well enough to do as you have done, it is unlikely I will leave it, but who knows.. They are our best friends..You have honored them..

Molon Labe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone who takes care of his dogs like this in death, must have really spoiled them in life. Great dog owner. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cool Beans FG: My best dog was cremated, and I stipulated in my will that her ashes be scattered with mine...

I hope like hell Im wrong about this afterlife thing.

I sure would like to see her again.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nearly 4 years ago, one of my best friends and hunting buddy's died suddenly after suffering a heart attack. His favorite Chocolate lab had died a year before and he had him cremated, so he could bury him at the Ranch, but never got around to it.
Due to a hassle of burying someone on private property, nowadays, his wife and family had him cremated and buried them both together at their favorite hunting spot on their Ranch. I think my buddy would be very happy with his final resting place. And happy that his favorite Lab is there with him.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome.
Don't know who is going first, but both Trap and I will be cremated .
After we're both gone, our ashes will be mixed, and scattered together.
My wife wishes the same. So all three of us will be scattered in the same place.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great to see so many dog lover on the site.. I for one feel our dogs will be with us in the after life.. One of my students when I taught, was of Native American heritage.. Sharp gal mentally, I ask her one day how her folks looks at the next life.. She said, it will be the happiest days of your life forever.. What a wonderful next life..

Molon Labe
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice and well done.

I couldn't do it because it would hurt too much to spend any time there. Plan on being cremated myself, so the kids don't have to fool around at a grave sight. I find no joy in it with family members. Best to be gone and leave nothing but memories is how I look at it.

The ashes of mine rest together at a place the Grouse are known to reside and we hook up when I pass thru.

Still a nice thing you have done there.

On top of that I apologize for any past offense. I was obviously wrong.

Still driving a Subaru however. smile

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
On top of that I apologize for any past offense. I was obviously wrong.

No harm done.
I was taught if a man was big enough to apologize I should be man enough to accept it and let it go.

Originally Posted by battue

Still driving a Subaru however. smile

That's OK,,,,, I'm still betting it has a bike and a Kayak on top of it. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was thoughtful. Thanks for sharing, FG. Subject's been on my mind lately, though hope the day's a long ways off.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Outstanding... Dogs deserve more dignity than they often receive after they pass.. A beautiful thing there Field..

Very nice

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That looks really nice. We're still cremating.

Retired cat herder.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Outstanding. What an awesome way to remember and honor. My bird dogs are honestly a huge part of our life that I wouldnt want to be without.

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 48 invisible), 2,902 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.