Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I don't want to hear any sad stories this season. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm on it! For the past few weeks, been shooting 20-25 each evening (that it wasn't raining). Will be on my first bow hunt for black bear in August. Up until now, it's only been for whitetail. That's put a little more urgency in my practice routine.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Black Bear would be easier to take with the bow than a Whitetail Buck

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I think you're probably correct, it's just that while I've been fortunate enough to take several bucks, this will be my first go at a bear with my bow.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Easier to get an opportunity....sort of. As in, you are very likely to see one if you go to a good area. But, do keep in mind that they come in late, they are dark and with a thick coat you best know where you are putting the arrow. Reason being is that they can look like a black blob with no distinct contour lines to define "just behind the shoulder" and "all fur." Not to mention, good solid hit animals can be tough to track after the hit because the coat will hold onto blood and soft paws can leave squat for foot prints. Be prepared and don't think black bear are a given and are just some dumb animal trying to get a Zag Nut bar from John Candy at the dump.

P.S. If you hunt from the ground don't wet yourself if one comes up behind you and breathes down your neck without you hearing it approach. It's been known to happen.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I usually shoot all year, even through the winter. I had some time off from shooting this year though. My beast of a pup jumped on my left arm and hyper extended my elbow a little bit. Things are all systems go right now and everything is looking good. Just shooting a bow is addictive to me, doesn't necessarily need to be at game.

Last edited by Aught6; 06/13/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's all year long here. We are in the peak of foam season at the moment. I'm running my target rig but it won't be long before the meat hammer starts getting it's reps in as well. Any day slinging carbon downrange is a good day

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got me a hoyt rampage XT on the fire. Had Bawana archery tune her up. Got a new release ....50 yards baby 50 yards whoop whoop!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
B
I've just been shooting in the backyard so far this summer.. This weekend I'm bringing my little block target out in the hills to get some practice shooting up hill, down hill and at all kinds of weird angles you find hunting mule deer out west.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Backyard is good. Up and down is good. Shoot in low light too.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I included hot and windy practice conditions yesterday.
Sweat in the eyes is a nice distraction on your concentration.

I don't usually like shooting in windy conditions but since I hunt Oklahoma and Wyoming it's best to get ready for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot at 80-90 yards every day through summer. Only three or four shots in a group then the long round trip to recover the arrows. Makes for longer shooting sessions because the gap to recover arrows is longer then at 20 yards. The rest period is great shooting this distance.

Learning or practicing a steady hold is far more difficult at this distance, as is picking an aim point. Even my tiny little fiber optic pin blocks a lot of the target at this distance.

Coming back to shoot at 20 yards becomes so effortless, although a bit more expensive, shooting off nocks and fletching! I usually get board at 20 yards pretty quick So I shoot at a piece of paracord dangling from above the block, or a use a piece of thread to hang something tiny to shoot at, like an acorn or anything about that size.

You can really dial in your windage when shooting at a string. It's easy to see which side of the string the majority of the hits land. After 10-20 groups doing this, your hitting the string frequently or at least making it jump with every shot. Balloons at 75 yards and beyond are also entertaining to shoot. Probably just my personality, but I am board quickly with paper targets.

Last fall I posted this I think?
Shooting at a quarter at 25 yards with a viper trick to see what would happen. The viper trick went about 1/2 way through and stuck into the quarter pretty tight. I sliced through a couple with the point hitting just to the outside edge. The Blades sliced clean through the metal without any damage at all.

[Linked Image]

It takes some guesswork but you can do it with practice and enough attempts. Stand a playing card on end and slice through it with the blade as the tip goes past. When I first tried this I actually hit the card head on a few times, the blades did not hit the card. Then finally I hit the card with just the blade. The card is nearly impossible to see on edge. I found that just standing slightly to the right or left while aiming allows you to see it a bit easier. There is some "estimation" of sight placement with this regardless for me.

It's these kinds of goofy games that keep me shooting and relentlessly determined to succeed at the "stunt"

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Thats some good shooting for sure. I had all kinds of problems getting it together this spring, just couldn't get any kind of group together. Finally got it dialed in again, had to shorten up my new d-loop a bit and shim my sight,as I was maxed out on adjustment to the left. I have pins out to 60 yards, and am pretty happy with my shooting at that range. For hunting I usually limit myself to 50 though. Hoping to get my first archery elk this year, and have some pretty decent looking whitetail and muley on some of the land I hunt too. Looking forward to it already!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I shoot at 80-90 yards every day through summer. Only three or four shots in a group then the long round trip to recover the arrows. Makes for longer shooting sessions because the gap to recover arrows is longer then at 20 yards. The rest period is great shooting this distance.

Learning or practicing a steady hold is far more difficult at this distance, as is picking an aim point. Even my tiny little fiber optic pin blocks a lot of the target at this distance.

Coming back to shoot at 20 yards becomes so effortless, although a bit more expensive, shooting off nocks and fletching! I usually get board at 20 yards pretty quick So I shoot at a piece of paracord dangling from above the block, or a use a piece of thread to hang something tiny to shoot at, like an acorn or anything about that size.

You can really dial in your windage when shooting at a string. It's easy to see which side of the string the majority of the hits land. After 10-20 groups doing this, your hitting the string frequently or at least making it jump with every shot. Balloons at 75 yards and beyond are also entertaining to shoot. Probably just my personality, but I am board quickly with paper targets.

Last fall I posted this I think?
Shooting at a quarter at 25 yards with a viper trick to see what would happen. The viper trick went about 1/2 way through and stuck into the quarter pretty tight. I sliced through a couple with the point hitting just to the outside edge. The Blades sliced clean through the metal without any damage at all.

[Linked Image]

It takes some guesswork but you can do it with practice and enough attempts. Stand a playing card on end and slice through it with the blade as the tip goes past. When I first tried this I actually hit the card head on a few times, the blades did not hit the card. Then finally I hit the card with just the blade. The card is nearly impossible to see on edge. I found that just standing slightly to the right or left while aiming allows you to see it a bit easier. There is some "estimation" of sight placement with this regardless for me.

It's these kinds of goofy games that keep me shooting and relentlessly determined to succeed at the "stunt"

For anybody wanting to really practice, this ^ is the way to do it. The only thing I do differently is shoot one arrow at a time. I figure one shot is all that I will get and it has to count. The exercise doesn't hurt either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JJ, I believe the quarter shot was right after I sent the SBXT back after new threads and a little Crossed Arrows Archery LLC custom tuning work

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes that's correct, that switchback was better with your work and strings then when it was brand new

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unless I'm hunting...and even then I make a point to squeeze in as much shooting as possible during the middle of the day or afternoons when not hunting...I shoot, most of the time two sessions a day of anywhere from 50 to 100 or so shots per session year round..weather permitting.

Lots of times I shoot I try to see how many innings I can shoot until I get three shots out of the kill zone (3 outs 5 arrow innings) at from about 15 steps to 40 or so...just to keep from getting bored with same ole back and forth to the target..etc.

I can shoot as far as I want..but don't practice much past about 40.

I shoot recurves and have to shoot a lot at my age and health to keep my strength up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (2UP, 44mc, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,724 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.