Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
KRD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I drew an archery cow moose tag back in the late 80's or whenever they were first issuing licenses. I was unsuccessful at the time. I kept applying afterwards and successfully drew another cow moose tag about 10 years ago. This time it was for rifle. That was a 15 minute hunt and an all day chore getting it loaded and quartered.
I would love to take a bull moose but am now thinking that I would just be happy with another cow tag.

GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
Canada and Alaska are out of the question.

stuvwxyz:

Maybe you ought to think about that again. I agree that Canada is out of the question for regular guys because nonresidents must hire a licensed guide and that puts it out of my budget range.

Alaska is another situation. You can hunt moose, caribou, wolf, black bear, Sitka deer, upland birds and you can fish with OTC licenses. The nonresident license fees are expensive but within reach when you can get there for free.

To fly for free from your home to an Alaska hub community get an Alaska Airlines VISA credit card that accumulates air miles points and exercise good personal discipline when you use the card. Never carry over a balance because you don't want to pay interest. Never buy anything that you would not otherwise buy. Buy everything that you normally buy, but now buy it using the credit card. My wife and I fly for free on at least one trip each year. Alaska Airlines is the only major airlines that flies to hub communities. The other airlines fly only to Anchorage.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would you guys be mad to know that I get to go two years in a row? Neither tag is mine, but I still get to go with guys who drew much earlier than expected.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ex:

That's great. I've accompanied friends on premium hunts a couple of times. Had a ball each time. I make a good Sherpa.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
About any out of state tag is out of the question at the present time. The economic down turn required me to retire 5 years before I was ready. Then the crushing blow of a seriously ill child, deleted what was left of dad's discretionary funds.

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Stu, I hope your child has recovered.

My buddy and I have been putting in for the same moose and sheep tags since 1999. He drew his sheep tag (did not bag) in 2009 and his bull moose tag in 2010 (got a nice 42" bull).

Me? NADA, zilch, zero on the tags.

In this case, I'd rather be lucky than good.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have been lucky to draw my moose, bighorn and mountain goat tags over the past 30 years and harvested all three. I am glad I drew them while I was still young enough to do it. Now applying for a desert sheep tag and crossing my fingers. May never draw, but if you don't apply you have zero chance. Don't give up, keep applying.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had the incredible good fortune to draw a Desert Bighorn tag in the second year they were available for draw. It was truly a lottery win, as far as I am concerned.
I have also drawn a Rocky Mtn. Bighorn rifle tag, and a bull moose tag, and had the good fortune to fill them all in my home state.
Ya just gotta keep applying!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hunt41
That sure is the truth, if you don't buy a ticket your odds are so much higher than those that do. just like the lottery. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The moose tag will be my final culmination I figure.I have had two Bighorn tags,filled one,one goat tag, filled, and a Unit 201 trophy elk tag ,filled that took be 20 years to draw. I ever did do the Desert bighorn as I knew thwere was not enough time to draw in my life, as you could not put in for both Rocky Mountain and desert bighorn the same years.

Out of state hunts were always out of my budget range

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, 11 invisible), 1,497 guests, and 787 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.