-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
....and if there ever was a way to bore new afficionados to death, it would have to be the sporta' petty FEUDING that's put screws to so many other potentially productive and potentially EDUCATIONAL sites, re: "The Holy Black"

[Linked Image]

I'd like to apologize to any offended, within the context of buffalo hunters being a fairly thick skinned lot,....a group not often in need of shelter from rough and tumble, honest dialogue.
I'm probably the WORST offender in that regard, here, in a VERY recent thread. I'll own up to being EXTREMELY protective of friends, and truth. ....I'll own up to being a complete idiot in how my mis-perceptions can very well (and do) get in the way of percieving honest and credible "discussion"

[Linked Image]

Been reflecting on the fact that, on occasion, I've turned loose more BP energy in ONE shot than some will turn loose in a decade....like a POUND at a time.

[Linked Image]

This debacle just recently passed is / was like a collision of two different PLANETS / CULTURES

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's it,....I'm sorry for offending anybody offended, and sticking to my guns in terms of defending long and revered friendships with master mechanics.

Black Powder arms, and accuracy achieved therewith is not part of the fabric of this "Great Society",.....and there's an awful lot of smokeless shooters that will never get clued into how BP shooting plays.

10 shot chronied groups with es's in the THREES ?

With patched .72 cal. round balls ?....gotta be B.S.

with a FLINTER ??!!

Ya' gotta' be pullin' my leg !

Actually,...NO, I'm not BS'ing.

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x59/sharpsrifle/Whitworth3_zps612520e2.jpg[/img]

Now,....?

FORWARD !

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/06/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Morning Greg, got the cows moved to summer pasture yesterday. Over 1/2 inch of rain last night. Firing line under water again this morning so I guess no shooting for this simpleton sumbeech again today...
Think I will go cast some bullets. Takes an awful lot of lead and powder to feed to shooters..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a batch of 30 to one to blend up soon.
Nice timing,....hottest part of the year blush

Looks to be the last of my Doe Run, I'll be scouting Roto-Metals to see what's up with their price these days. Still pretty good for tin,..as well.

I'm not going to sweat alloy purity quite as much as once, hving seen Rix in action with common wheelweight and tin.

Glad you got some liquid gold !

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Buffalo Arms has better price than roto. John Walters better than both..
Using mostly 20-1, with 16-1 in some selected paper patch bullets.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I will apologize to Greg and ranch13.
I have some lead ingots and am not a lead bullet shooter as I posted earlier. I will offer them to you for the price of shipping.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I need to modify that. It is one ingot marked saeco and about 6 boxes of lead in round that I can measure and about a foot long.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If I had me one of those cannons....I'd wake a lot of folks up come 4 July morning...I can tell you that!! Might even have a couple of amps on board to play The Bonnie Blue Flag!

Don't worry cross....I got skin akin to a Rhino!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVeSKwM--1M

grin grin

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ditto on John Walters.

He ships like everyone should, flat rate USPS. IIRC it's $15/70#.

The post office groans when I get a shipment.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Should add that an ES in the 3's is not bad. Came close to that once with a -kaff- .338 Win. Was in the 5's.

If you try double ply TP over the primer instead of that cheap single ply (unused of course) AND guage powder compression to the 1/10 oz you might get down to the ones. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yeah well, here is the simple truth distilled down. Some of us here know very little about the world of BP, and we appreciate the knowledge and experience that is bandied around here. Even for a novice like me it is pretty easy to separate the brilliance from the BS. So please keep the posts coming as a favor to those of us that are still learning. Pretty sure you guys have shortened the learning curve for a lot of us. Thanks.

And thin skins be damned.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was reading some stuff in the News by SPG awhile back about loading and shooting the .25-20 SS. My recollection has it he was shooting a low wall with a 10 twist barrel. Pretty much followed the recipe with a Stevens 44 and lighter bullets. Might be folks that been down that road know chitt the arm chair theorists can't imagine? First BP cartridge loads I ever kluged together did well for 20 shots, no swabbing, round groupage near about 2" or a bit less. Didn't Chrony that string but will the next. IIRC Steve's loads were in the single digit ES range. Without TP.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of 25-20 ss, that Captec brass is some grand stuff. Fun little cartridge to mess with if you can come up with one of those 44's in decent condition at a same price.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Whose got that Brass, Don ?

Might be "Reamer Time".

.....slick little "Garden Gun", I'd venture.

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Not only do they have brass they will sell you loaded ammo.. a bit spendy, but hey,, it's only money.:)
http://www.captechintl.com/proddetail.php?prod=2520SS100pcs

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranch13
Not only do they have brass they will sell you loaded ammo.. a bit spendy, but hey,, it's only money.:)
http://www.captechintl.com/proddetail.php?prod=2520SS100pcs

Thanks for that link, they have some stuff I oughta try smile

I have 400 cases of Starline .45-90 brass, really oughta try the Jamison. And their .475 Turnbull brass, too smile

And there is still a .25-20 Win, Stevens 44 here that needs debugging smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Picked up mine from several places including BACO. Jamison mostly.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had occasion to stand atop Lee's Hill overlooking the battlefield at Fredricksburg, VA today. In his tracks so to speak, where he stood when a nearby Parrot rifle blew up and scattered shrapnel through the position.

Humbling scene Fredricksburg.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
[quote=tex_n_cal

I have 400 cases of Starline .45-90 brass, really oughta try the Jamison. And their .475 Turnbull brass, too smile

And there is still a .25-20 Win, Stevens 44 here that needs debugging smile [/quote]

I'ld suggest you not try their 45-90, because if you do, you'll be scrambling trying to figure out how to get rid of that scrapline brass, and replace it with the high quality JBA.

www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile Why do you like it better?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Try some and find out.

www.historicshooting.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,089 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.