Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Murphy was a grunt.
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I was thinking more of a lightweight trail shoe I could put in my pack when I'm going along more gentle stuff and save the boots for the rougher parts.

This is not a good idea because you have to put your heavy boots in your pack when wearing the lightweight trail shoes. The older I get, the lighter my pack gets, so I'm not going to carry 5# of boots in my pack. You will soon learn that one of your best friends is a good pair of strong hiking boots with Vibram soles and good ankle support whenever you are carrying a backpack, no matter what the terrain is like. I recommend that you pick one pair of hiking boots and stick with them.

Crocs are great for camp. I tie them on with a short piece of parachord when crossing streams so they can't fall off and float downstream.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KC do you just swap to crocs for major stream crossings then? I do most of my hiking and a lot of my hunting in trail runners with no ill effects mostly cause if I was wearing my GTX boots they'd be over the boot tops so often from lots of miles in wet swamps and/or creek crossings and such. Just wondering how you avoid getting your feet wet when coming across terrain such as this. Many years ago I just gave up on dry feet and now just hike in wet trail runners and save some dry socks in the tent at night but every morning its back into the wet socks and trail runners.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by elkrazy
I was thinking more of a lightweight trail shoe I could put in my pack when I'm going along more gentle stuff and save the boots for the rougher parts.

This is not a good idea because you have to put your heavy boots in your pack when wearing the lightweight trail shoes. The older I get, the lighter my pack gets, so I'm not going to carry 5# of boots in my pack. You will soon learn that one of your best friends is a good pair of strong hiking boots with Vibram soles and good ankle support whenever you are carrying a backpack, no matter what the terrain is like. I recommend that you pick one pair of hiking boots and stick with them.

Crocs are great for camp. I tie them on with a short piece of parachord when crossing streams so they can't fall off and float downstream.

KC

You ain't got to be old to understand this wisdom.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
KC do you just swap to crocs for major stream crossings then? I do most of my hiking and a lot of my hunting in trail runners with no ill effects mostly cause if I was wearing my GTX boots they'd be over the boot tops so often from lots of miles in wet swamps and/or creek crossings and such. Just wondering how you avoid getting your feet wet when coming across terrain such as this. Many years ago I just gave up on dry feet and now just hike in wet trail runners and save some dry socks in the tent at night but every morning its back into the wet socks and trail runners.

Alaska lance:

Yes I swap out my boots for a pair of Crocs when crossing streams, marshes, etc. The terrain in Colorado is not as wet as Alaska so It doesn't happen too often. My ankles are too weak for boots without ankle support, which would surely result in a sprained ankle for me. Maybe your ankles are stronger.

I have hiked in wet boots when the terrain requires it, like crossing marsh mounds, or when the stream is flowing so fast and deep that Crocs are not feasible. I don't like hiking in wet boots, my guess is that no one does. But as you suggest, sometimes it's the best option.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Doing a 120 mile thru hike here in 5 days and will be using my trail runner again. I honestly don't mind the wet feet so long as they get 6-8 hours to dry out in the evenings before sliding the wet shoes back on in the morning. Logistically its just so much easier to not have to tip toe through the tulips er...I mean streams and swamps and just hike where you want I have found.

I have packed caribou out 12 miles as well as grizzly bears out 8 miles in addition to just standard backpacking in my trail runners. I feel that hiking in trail runners builds up my ankle strength so by the time I go sheep and goat hunting and put on 3/4 or full shank boots I feel that much stronger in them.

Wet boots get VERY heavy compared to non-gtx shoes when wet and I don't need the extra weight on my feet or water sloshing around in my boots. Been there done that and is the reason why I hike in trail runners.

So I am not sure I will "soon learn that one of your best friends is a good pair of strong hiking boots with Vibram soles and good ankle support whenever you are carrying a backpack" as my experience has shown me otherwise. Of course maybe in drier climates it makes more sense but for me I don't feel that boots are a must.....especially for generally backpacking.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I too do all my backpacking and most of my hunting in non water proof trail runners, if I will be in wet conditions all day I might wear NRS Hydroskim socks.
When there is snow, add MicroSpikes for traction.
This has allowed me to pack loads of well over 100 lbs in nasty beargrass, shale slide slopes,

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad I'm not the only crazy Ed!!!

Cause KC makes me feel like a slow learner when he says that soon I'll learn that a good pair of boots is your best friend whenever you have a pack on.

I started using neosport 2mm socks (super cheap but holding up thus far but only about 30 miles under then) instead of trashing my merinos and getting them wet. So far really liking that change. Keeps my feet warmer and completely clean even though wet.

Still bringing a spare set of merinos for next weeks 100+ mile trek in case I run into problems with them but I don't for see any problem given the first 30 miles of hiking and packing 70+ pound packs with them.

Plus coming up its not a hunting or packrafting trip so I am only packing 35 pounds and Becca will be sub 30 so even less stress on the feet. But would hate to find out the neoprene doesn't agree with me when 30 miles from the nearest road. smile

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Luke,

I find the Neoprene works well is it's mostly wet. If only ocassionally wet, I'd rether go with Merino. I will often wear a Merino liner inside the neoprene too. Have tried ther toe socks with neoprene, both synthetic and Merino and they work well but are a real PITA to put on. Too much fiddle factor for me and I very seldom blister between my toes.

Trail runners with a short gaiter like the OR Flextex or better yet the new First Lite works great for me in most conditions.

Next project in the footwear area is to combine a trail runner with a removable liner like from a tele boot for those days when it's -20F or colder.

Have an awesome trip!

Ed T

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cause KC makes me feel like a slow learner when he says that soon I'll learn that a good pair of boots is your best friend whenever you have a pack on.

Luke:

The learning comment was not aimed at you.

KC

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If looking for a strictly camp shoe and water crossings, I've found the Nothingz to be better than Crocs. They're lighter, have a more aggressive tread and you can get them with the closed toes. The closed toes suck for wearing around the house as they make my feet sweat like crazy but they're much better for camping.
Just weighed my size 13 Nothingz with closed toe. 13.5 oz
Very worn out pair of regular open toed Crocs without the backstrap size 12 15 oz.

That said I just ordered a pair of New Balance HI-REZ off STP to try as camp/water crossing shoes. My current water crossing system is a pair of glacier socks with the Nothingz over them, but I'd like something a little more secure on my foot.

Luke, what are you currently using for camp shoes?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Luke:

KC

I know but why say something like "soon you realize" if not applying to everyone. I think its hard to say that just cause something works for me doesn't' mean I will say soon you'll realize that a simple pair of non GTX shoes are the way to go for most of your backpacking needs. Just don't like to talk in such broad brush strokes when suggesting what might work for folks.

Simply state what works for me and what I do and how I use them and I let others figure out if it might apply to their uses. Rather than assume that others just haven't done it enough to know what they like.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 204guy
If looking for a strictly camp shoe and water crossings, I've found the Nothingz to be better than Crocs. They're lighter, have a more aggressive tread and you can get them with the closed toes. The closed toes suck for wearing around the house as they make my feet sweat like crazy but they're much better for camping.
Just weighed my size 13 Nothingz with closed toe. 13.5 oz
Very worn out pair of regular open toed Crocs without the backstrap size 12 15 oz.

That said I just ordered a pair of New Balance HI-REZ off STP to try as camp/water crossing shoes. My current water crossing system is a pair of glacier socks with the Nothingz over them, but I'd like something a little more secure on my foot.

Luke, what are you currently using for camp shoes?

Depends. Sometimes I just take a set of thick merino wool socks for weighing inside the tipi at night and hanging out in there. Other times I will take a pair of NB minimus shoes to and some less then merino socks. But really depends on how far in we are going and how much crap I am already taking. THe minimus shoes are 10 oz for the pair I believe and wok well and dry fast. Much preferred over crocs as I can walk in them much better over uneven ground and stay on my feet better when crossing fast moving creeks and such.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For me, it depends as well. I don't get married to any one shoe or boot and have used most of them without issue. Later season hunting slop, I often favor as minimal a boot as I can and the same with spring slop. Summer and early fall, it is usually some sort of trail runner that dries quickly a couple pair of socks. I'm on the fence with camp shoes , and usually end up without. How do I handle water crossings ? I get wet, but I dry. Neoprene socks can keep you warmish even if you are wet, but I don't take them that often either.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone used the Inov-8 roclites for a lightweight trail shoe? Was wondering how this would hold up for lighter weight summer and scouting trips.
http://www.inov-8.com/New/Global/Product-View-Roclite-286-GTX.html?L=26

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 204guy

Update, got the Hi-rez's last week. They're basically a pair of socks with laces and pretty thick rubber on the bottom. Weight is 9 oz for the pair of size 13's. I got them a little big to go over the glacier socks but they still work fine with just socks or barefoot. All in all I'm impressed, combined with the glacier socks I have a 1lb 7oz pair of hip boots for warm and dry river crossings plus a pair of camp shoes.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Luke:

KC

I know but why say something like "soon you realize" if not applying to everyone. I think its hard to say that just cause something works for me doesn't' mean I will say soon you'll realize that a simple pair of non GTX shoes are the way to go for most of your backpacking needs. Just don't like to talk in such broad brush strokes when suggesting what might work for folks.

Simply state what works for me and what I do and how I use them and I let others figure out if it might apply to their uses. Rather than assume that others just haven't done it enough to know what they like.

That's fine for you because you obviously have enough experience that you have tried various methods and you have realized what works best for you. But I'm not going to back off from my original statement. A good pair of leather hiking boots with Vibram soles is your best friend. I think everyone should start there and experiment beyond that. I also think that experienced backpackers like myself, have a responsibility to make conservative recommendations when those recommendations might be read by people new to the sport.

I'm going on a backpack trip starting tomorrow. I'll be back in ten days.

Have a good evening.

KC

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,680 guests, and 755 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.