Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
What are the best conditions for getting accurate chronograph readings? Sunny, cloudy, or doesn't make a difference? Also, does having your chronograph perfectly level make a difference? I've always just eyeballed it.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Depends on the style of chrono you are using. A chrono with light sensors is normally upset with direct sunlight. A cloudy overcast day is perfect for those type as it provides good ambient light.

The Magneto Speed chrono, for instance, uses magnetic induction sensors and is not affected by anything except spacing.

Getting them level is a good idea but not ultimately critical. I have used both types in the rain with no adverse effects.

Last edited by Reloder28; 06/10/15.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a Caldwell chronograph. I am not 100% sold on it, but thats another story.

The BEST results I have had with it were in complete shade, no direct sunlight at all under a shade canopy.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Some light-screen chronographs are far less sensitive to cloud and sun than others.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

When I use my Oehler 35P (which is a fabulous chronograph) on sunny days, I have to seriously watch the overhanging tree branches at the rifle range.

Overcast and away from the trees works best for my 35P.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I never worry about my Oehler 35. The only times it wouldn't read are when I didn't plug in the leads correctly. There's start, mid, and stop. Done it a couple of times.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This topic made me aware of my insufficient data collecting. I learned to document everything, not just load and velocities. It has become apparent to me when same powder and primer lots, bullets, seating depth... then seeing velocities vary more than expected from outing to outing, there is a reason. Temp/ sunny / cloudy / wind / humidity...... By them selves might be trivial, but when the sum equals more than the parts, you realize you dropped the ball. The devil is in the details. I'm not an A student, so me learns more slower than I want to admit to.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I just broke down and ordered the magnetospeed sporter model, which is significantly less expensive than their flagship model, because I'm tired of light conditions giving me fits with my pro chrono. All and all it was a good chrono but I hope the magnetospeed will give me accurate readings and I don't have to wait for the right conditions to have "chrono days"

at 180 bucks, if this thing works as claimed, I don't know why anybody would mess with any skyscreen chrono other than an oehler

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still holding out for the Labradar.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dude270
I just broke down and ordered the magnetospeed sporter model, which is significantly less expensive than their flagship model, because I'm tired of light conditions giving me fits with my pro chrono. All and all it was a good chrono but I hope the magnetospeed will give me accurate readings and I don't have to wait for the right conditions to have "chrono days"

at 180 bucks, if this thing works as claimed, I don't know why anybody would mess with any skyscreen chrono other than an oehler

Here's some data I collected today with a Sporter and Oehler.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by Dude270

Here's some data I collected today with a Sporter and Oehler.

Just got mine this week.

Brownells has them is stock.

Now, if it would just quit raining... frown

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,211
Posts18,466,206
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.