Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#10021288 06/14/15
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My apology Guys.

I don't post much and inadvertently placed on in the wrong place. Sorry about that.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...38/Eating_and_cooking_game.#Post10011338

It deals with making strongly gamey taste more palatable.

I learned a lot from the posts but there is another little tid bit of detail that I would like to focus on more precisely.

Suggestions are to salt the game and let it age several days BEFORE freezing.

Upon reflection I now recall that Italian Prosciutto de Palma and other ham hocks are BURIED in salt then age dried for 3 or more years.

So my question is - how much salt is necessary and how long to age game and how to treat it after salt and freezing to avoid an unpalatable salty mess that is inedible.

And how to cook after ?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just read your previous threed and you recieved some good advice there particularly re caring for the carcass being very important..

Secondly, how much do you trust your game processor? I've read numerous posts about people not getting the same meat back as they've taken in..I have also seen videos on You Tube that were like something out of the Hammer House of Horror..

I process all my deer and have never had a bad one..some species taste stronger than others, but I expect that and do not expect them all to taste blandish like store bought beef often is..

I gralloch the animals ASAP after shooting, and transport with the skin on home where I hang in a "mini game chiller" (converted 2nd hand 6' upright fridge) for between one and two weeks at a temp just over freezing.

The day before I intend to butcher, I skin and then return it to the mini chiller to set-up over night ready for butchering..

I don't cover with salt or anything, but might wipe with a mix of water and white vinegar if I see signs of mould starting..

I don't wash with anymore water than strictly needed and try to do that when the carcass is still warm and use tepid, low pressure water if possible was wash from clean to dirty areas to minimise cross contamination..

This process may not be practical for many guys, but I believe its the ideal to aim for and the more variation from these basic principles, the more chance the quality of the finished product will be compromised..

I should add that shooting a mature rutting bull buck stag is probably not ideal from a taste point of view and is something I avoid if I intend to process the carcass myself..

Last edited by Pete E; 06/14/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another point is that I process white tail deer boneless. Years ago I worked at a meat processing plant, and we sawed through the bones sames as making t-bones out of beef. Deer bone marrow does not keep well and will give off unpleasant tastes, at least to me. When I went boneless and quit chasing deer with dogs, the meat got a lot better. I have not had a bad deer since, even with older bucks during the rut. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would agree with Miles..bone dust on meat can definately impacts on the taste...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A VERY good book is called " Slice of the Wild " by Eileen Clarke.
It gives you a good description on what needs to be done to make your game meat the best it can be . And that starts as soon as the critter is down.
Many great tips all the way to the freezer. After that great recipes and cooking methods for the assorted parts.
Well worth the investment in my humble opinion.

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ind...ry&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=6

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by M1894
It gives you a good description on what needs to be done to make your game meat the best it can be . And that starts as soon as the critter is down.
Many great tips all the way to the freezer. After that great recipes and cooking methods for the assorted parts.

Best advice of the day....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you:

I tried to order both books today but they are only available Thursdays thru Saturdays so I will try later.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 06/17/15.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M1894 & USMC2602:

Hey Guys:

Eileen Clarke just returned my phone call. We had a very nice chat.

I ordered two of her books. Be here in 3 to 5 days.

Great tip !

Really good guys here on this website.

Bill Tibbe

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FYI I ordered two books from Eileen. They came yesterday.

Slice of the Wild and sausage.

I read the first cover to cover already. How unfortunate that I didn't have this information decades ago.

Exceptional: The only books I know about that deal so extensively and professionally with the preparation and cooking of wild game.

Thanks for the lead. I'm also passing these along to my son and grandson.

Bill Tibbe

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Originally Posted by M1894

Best advice of the day....

+1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Just wanted to thank you all for saying such nice things about Slice of the Wild. (And as an aside, the website is available 24/7 and I answer the phone everyday but Sunday.
The good news is that Slice of the Wild is back at the printer for another run, and this time it will be soft cover with a spiral binding just like Sausage Season, and will cost less $$$ to produce. But I have added more tips, like why you should use a slope-sided pan for browning meat, and corrected some typos...so it's now practically perfect in every way. (Sorry, I couldn't resist that.) We're doing the final proofs right now, then it will be about 6 weeks before we have books in hand. Just in time for the Christmas in July Sale, I hope!

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Leeniefreezerthree:

As I reiterated I spent a ton of money at the supermarket based on the recommendations posted in your books and it has initially paid off excellently in spades. Note that I'm still cooking and will utilize the recommendations over the next few weeks slowly. I lost my wife 15 years ago and I am a bachelor cooking for myself alone. I keep it basic, simple and your books and recipes fit my requirements very perfectly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to help , I was surprised no one had mentioned them in reply to your questions . I had asked a question here and John recommended I get Slice of the Wild . The post-it note Eileen attached to the section covering my question is still there. cool Good folks they are! I may have to get the spiral bound version to keep at camp for reference.
Great information to share and recommend to anyone looking to learn!

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good folks they are!

+1

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.