Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wanted to post this separately from the workout thread so it doesn't get overlooked.

What's the consensus on how, and how long before the "real thing" you guys taper off your workouts? Or to put it another way, when your backpack hunt finally arrives, how long before your hunt do you stop the workouts, and do you just stop, or taper them down by doing say, a few 75% workouts in the days leading up to the hunt? Thanks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just stop about a 2 weeks before the hunt and go crazy piling all my crap together instead. Or, that's what I did in previous years when I actually worked out.

Part of the "strategy" there was to add some body fat, because I don't have any and can't add it on any kind of an exercise regimen. I have zero data to support or refute this "strategy".

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No data?? I want some charts and graphs, man!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The general rule on tapering for endurance sports performance varies with the individual but is basically cutting the training volume in half two or three weeks out and then again in half the week prior to the event, but upping the intensity as desired.

I personally don't take my backpacking trips all that seriously My only "sport specific" training for backpacking is to do one several hour hike a week with a medium weight(50 lb) pack. It doesn't make the pack out with meat comfortable, but it does make it do-able.

The rest of the week I run/bike and swim to maintain a cardio base. It's generally been enough for me.

I agree with CWH though, for me, the week before a trip is usually filled with packing gear and doing last minute chores.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Would think you could find something factual with looking into how the marathoners taper their runs down prior to a big race.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I've read goes along with the above from Battue and Oldslowdog. IIRC, Ironman tri plans typically have a 2 week taper with easy s/b/r workouts just to keep the muscles loose. All low intensity.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I usually take it a little easy on legs the week leading up to the hunt. I will still do core and upper body, but I'll back off a little on lower body. 2-3 weeks prior to the hunt I'll lower the weight on my leg workouts and do reps in the 15-18 range. About 3-4 days before I hunt I will do some leg lifts at an even lower weight with higher reps. Mostly because I just feel better if I'm working out. I've always felt that if I am doing the work to get my body in shape, then doing some light lifting a few days prior to the hunt should be fine.

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It's difficult only for the others....It is the same when you are stupid
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Would think you could find something factual with looking into how the marathoners taper their runs down prior to a big race.

I'm thinking that carrying a pack in the mtns is different than running a marathon. I can carry a pack in the mtns but I couldn't run a marathon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I too lay off the legs . My legs get enough work in hunting season. I still work upper body though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm thinking the principal of starting out the hunt rested and at your peak is similar. Both being endurance events.

Could be wrong.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They could be similar but I don't know that they're the same. Humping a pack in the mtns is much higher intensity and depending on how steep, will be anaerobic at times so you're using strength, going anaerobic or close to it, and resting/recovering in between climbing "spurts" similar to resistance training. And then recovering overnight.

I know that with resistance training, if I lay off for 3 weeks I'll lose some strength. And if I lay off for 3-4 days, I don't lose anything and lots of times feel stronger when I get back in the gym.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's why at the gym you work different muscle groups on different days. You can workout every dayand still give each muscle group the three days off it needs. Of course though you can do cardio every day.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It changes as summer progresses. As summer progresses there's hiking, scouting, checking trail cams, caching supplies and such. Then there's setting up tree stands for archery season which is a couple really hard days worth of work.

The only thing I don't do is lift heavy a day or two before archery season because tired major muscle groups mean less steady with the bow.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Tip time:

You will not be in as good a shape as your guide. Pace yourself.

You will not be able to keep up with him. Pace yourself.

You will not be able to carry what he can. Pace yourself.

You are going to bust azz even if you show up at the peak of training. Pace yourself.

Your legs, heart and lungs are going to scream. Pace yourself.

Pray for nice weather. Pace yourself.

Ask if you need a head net for stuff that bites and bites and bites. Pace yourself.

Shoot straight. Pace yourself.

Take pictures, but more important burn it all into your mind.

Go slow, pace yourself and have a great time.

Thank me when you get back.

PS: It is ok to shed a tear of joy after accomplishing a long time difficult goal. Your guide has seen it before and a good one will walk away and allow you to spend time with your Sheep.

Last edited by battue; 06/16/15.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Aim for 10X the number of pictures you think you should take. It will annoy other people. F--- those people. You put in the work, and you are paying the tab. Now your job is to have fun, and having fun is something to take seriously.

Have fun, and If you need anything while you are passing through Anchorage, give a shout.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Tip time:

You will not be in as good a shape as your guide. Pace yourself.

You will not be able to keep up with him. Pace yourself.

You will not be able to carry what he can. Pace yourself.

Dang, this is disappointing. I was counting on my workout regimen to put me in top physical condition and leave him in the dust!!! grin The guy is only half my age, and he will only have the advantage of doing this every year for about the last ten, how hard can it be?

Seriously though, thanks Harry, I will try to keep all that stuff in mind as I'm sucking wind, gobbling advil, and trying to keep up. And thanks CWH.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cwh2
Aim for 10X the number of pictures you think you should take. It will annoy other people. F--- those people. You put in the work, and you are paying the tab. Now your job is to have fun, and having fun is something to take seriously.

Words to live by....

Well said!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why taper off at all. The main thing is to avoid injuries right before you peak.
I'm running ramps (wind sprints) 3 days per week to burn the lungs and squatting 2 times per week. I figure if I do my last work out Tuesday with a ramp day, pack the truck Wednesday and drive West with a Starbucks in hand, while listening to Alive by Pearl Jam, I'll be recovered just perfectly for hump in on Friday morning.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Why taper off at all. The main thing is to avoid injuries right before you peak.
I'm running ramps (wind sprints) 3 days per week to burn the lungs and squatting 2 times per week. I figure if I do my last work out Tuesday with a ramp day, pack the truck Wednesday and drive West with a Starbucks in hand, while listening to Alive by Pearl Jam, I'll be recovered just perfectly for hump in on Friday morning.

Hmmmm. Your last day of resistance training would be Monday, and the pack in would be Friday?

That sounds like tapering off to me. grin

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You will do fine.

Didn't mean to disappoint you. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.