Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Filler???

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like full cases, or nearly so. It makes for a more gratifying 'Boom'! Usually makes for better shooting too. I am picky about what powder goes where nonetheless.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some many Moons ago, when primer brissance was THE topic, and folks were starting to noodle around with smaller flash holes, bushings, over primer wads and all sorts of other "ignition" related extrapolations,
...... SPG's magazine ( had a great article with a photo essay of various primers fired in the dark, high speed camera recorded. If it wasn't BPCR news, it was either Accurate Rifle, or such. Hell, may have been ASSRA's rag.
Anyhow, it sure put to rest any doubts one might have regarding modern primers throwing a LOT of screaming hot particles,....and quite a distance, at that.
I'd reckon that the general concensus thereafter was to avoid light charges of those powders coated with retardants.

While 4198 may well fall into that (retardant) category, I'm pretty certain that 5744 does NOT.

Sure looking forward to seeing the pics of this Pedersoli's residues / wreckage / final remains. Would LOVE to know it's vintage, too.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 06/17/15.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been following this thread and have learned a lot. There are some pics of the rifle in question here:

http://historicshooting.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=1425&page=2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Filler???

YEs, such as dacron, or the extruded styrofoam curtain rod fillers. DR guys use them all the time

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then there is NO airspace between the wad and projectile.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That stuff they call "Florist Foam" is one of the better choices,....versus "Kapok", Tissue Paper, Dacron.

WAY better uniformity if one is careful cutting it to close tolerance / thickness.

Throw / weigh powder, charge case, push cut FF over case mouth, seat bullet.

Been using the stuff forever for the currently somewhat debatable jacketed bullet break in. Puts some accuracy into the equation, and lets one rough in his mechanical zero, while performing the otherwise boring and onerous chore.

4198 and 4227 really need some sorta' filler.

"Cereal Shooting" has been around a long time, and whether COW, or Corn Meal, Wheatena, or grits,...... another way to take up the airspace, and dodge this ridiculous wad issue.

NO airspace,....repeat NO airspace !

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
anyone try Puff-lon?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Ouch....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Never been to the "Q" but do the smokeless shooters compete with the BP users or do they have separate categories?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Every body in the same pot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
[Linked Image]

Ouch....

Just about willing to BET that we're looking at an old, early vintage (Leaded Steel) Pedersoli barrel there.

Can't BELIEVE the gap that's opened up right at the breeching area,....that metal flowed like biscuit dough.

Where's that little sawed off Swampy bastard that used to continually kvetch about us ruining our rifles with black ?

GTC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That photo confirms my assessment of what caused the blow-up.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Went and pulled those rounds I had loaded with 30gr of 4198 and a foam filler. There was probably about 1/16" gap between the foam and the back of the bullet. Thanks for this. J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What people seem to forget is that a Sharps is a very strong action and more than capable of withstanding smokeless pressures. Shiloh does recommend black powder, not because the gun can't take smokeless powder, but because it can't take the abuse that stupid people will do with all the components that make up a cartridge...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
^^^^^^ What he said, in spades.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Leaded steel can be funky. I inherited a high volume job years ago, where some genius had spec'd 11L14. Occasionally the fancy Italian forming machine would break the parts and throw them at you. frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a Sharps is a very strong action and more than capable of withstanding smokeless pressures.

You've got that right, and there are NO flies on the Pedersoli effort,.....ACTION wise.

The barrel viewed does bring to mind Velveeta Cheese, though.

.....not a very palatable reality sandwich at all.

GTC

L
L
30 gr? The barrel split scares the heck outa me but I use 24 gr H4198 behind a 520 gr pointy tipped cast 20:1 bullet. Now for some more blasphemy...I also use just enough dacron batting to hold the powder agasint the primer. I've never found any after shooting. I'm fairly certain it burns up in the barrel. I regularly use a neck expander and seat the bullets approx 1/2 way in with my fingers. The bullet size, length and lube hold it firmly enough and when I stick it in the chamber the bullet seats itself in the case. Avg crony is 1129 FPS and it shoots .5 MOA at 100 yds.
It maintains the MOA out to 200 yds and I had planned on shooting it 300 yds this Sunday on Silhouettes.

My rifle is a 1997 Browning High Wall BPCR .45-70 with an MVA Malcom 6X, 28 inch scope.[Linked Image]

My thinking is this is a modern rifle using low pressures. Is this also an accident waiting to happen?

Thanks

I also shoot an original Sharps 1859 .45-100 but I use BP in that one.

Ranch13 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Might want to see how your home owners insurance will handle thing if that gun goes up at a match, and someone other than yourself becomes a casualty.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,023 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.