Campfire Regular
But that's 10 more seconds that I could be shooting. laugh

Last edited by Ralphie; 06/19/15.
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

powdr:

I have killed 33 elk and I've seen no common reaction after a clean solid hit. I shoot for the largest body mass; the lungs. I've seen everything from no reaction at all, to DRT, to run-for-your-life and everything in between. So you should just be ready for whatever occurs.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm convinced that sometimes an elk will go into shock with the 1st shot. I've seen it several times. I once put 4 rounds into the chest of a bull. One broke the far shoulder. He just stood there the whole time then slowly laid down. The lungs were just a big pile of jello.

The main symptom of shock is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness. The elk is rapidly dying but it doesn't show. It will seem to just stand there.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

Gee, those sound like MY symptoms after I shot my first elk!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by southtexas
. Other symptoms include rapid, shallow breathing; cold, clammy skin; rapid, weak pulse; dizziness, fainting, or weakness.

Gee, those sound like MY symptoms after I shot my first elk!

+1 !!!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
KC nailed it. mtmuley

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
saddlesore
I guess I am in the minority about keep shooting until they are on the ground.

No you are not, I automatically chamber another round and stay ready for a shot. Most of the time I don't even remember chambering the second round but its there and ready to go!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago I shot a medium bull with a 300 WSM at about 200 yds across a draw. He was with another elk. I hit it square in the lungs. Both of them ran about 100 yds across the side hill then stopped and I shot it again, hitting within a couple inches of the 1st hole. It slowly went down then.

I was NOT impressed with the performance of the 180 gr AB's I was using. One blew up on a rib and went nowhere. The other separated and I found pieces through the lungs. I later found the core in the heart. Any decent bullet would have floored him on the spot with my 1st shot. I haven't shot an AB at an animal since. I suspect that my 1st shot was the one that didn't penetrate because he should have never run that far. The 2d looked more like a typical heart shot because of the lead core in it.

BTW - since he was across a draw, I laid down and used my pack as a rest. My head was downhill and he was higher than I was so my rifle was angled up. I got hit as hard as the elk did. Selfie attached:

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am not as experienced as others here and have a question regarding shooting a bedded elk. I did once, under 100 yards. It did not go well and I probably won't do it again. I harvested the elk but it wasn't as "clean" of a kill as my others including archery kills.

I attributed it to the organs especially a grass-filled stomach being pushed up while the cow was bedded.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A problem with shooting a bedded elk is the position of the 'elbow' on the front leg. It partially covers the heart & lungs. A light bullet might have a problem penetrating. Also, the lower half of the chest is where the vitals are and a bedded elk presents the top half.
I haven't had a need to try it to see if it works but I think I would get ready for a standing shot then whistle softly until it got curious enough to stand up.

― George Orwell

IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
[Linked Image]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sort of humbling when a nice bull shakes off what you think was a well placed shot. Then shakes off what you think was another well placed shot, and you're watching a dead elk walking.

I am with the shoot till you tag it crowd, elk on the table is a blessing from above. Ammo you bring home did you no good.

May I add that I plugged extra shots into elk to later find I would not have needed to?
Adding accounts from others in ear-shot how rather close those shots were fired.

Sticking with your instincts till you've piled up enough elk to adjust your instincts.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KC
[/URL]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Funny you should say that. My wife told me to go hunting more often. grin

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A problem with shooting a bedded elk is the position of the 'elbow' on the front leg. It partially covers the heart & lungs. A light bullet might have a problem penetrating. Also, the lower half of the chest is where the vitals are and a bedded elk presents the top half.
I haven't had a need to try it to see if it works but I think I would get ready for a standing shot then whistle softly until it got curious enough to stand up.

I have probably shot a half dozen elk bedded. Most drop their head over. Others might stand up and fall back over in a few seconds.I have done this both with a 30-06 and a 50 cal muzzle loader. Elk that are not alarmed die pretty fast. All were less than 50 yards. Bullets placed at the base of the neck where it meets the chest are the most effetcive if you have a good knowledge of how the spine is locates

The problem with even a low whistle is they know that isn't natural. Most will jump and run only offering you a tail end shot.Even a cow call will spook thme in heavy hnuted area.

AS for elk on the table vs bringing home the ammo.That is not it. It's tearing up more meat when not required.However K Salonelk makes a good poin. Trust your instincts. Which I have grown to trust in shooting enough elk.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/23/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot enough elk that I sort of know by feel whether the shot is good and I've never had one run more than 100 yds. However,I like to back it up to keep the elk from getting where I really don't want to have to go after it, like off the side of a really steep ridge.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The bedded Bulls that I have killed, seen killed and helped haul out have either stood or tried to stand after the first shot. Typically they received extra bullets to help them stay put.

A good Marine marksman with 300 Win Mag took out lungs, piece of heart and broke the off side shoulder and the average size bull covered 60+ yards in deep snow before the finisher from my 300 Wby broke its back. The bull was within 100 yards of the public private line so I couldn't let it keep walking. He thought he might have missed and that I should tag it until we cut him up and saw the fatal shot he had put in the bull.

Deer have all laid their heads down for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Like most here, I've seen them vary from falling over to zero reaction upon a killing shot. I hit a walking cow at 50 yards who didn't flinch or anything. A friend watching the whole thing watched her fall over dead about 12 steps after the shot.

Usually, a lung hit will cause them to hunch up, like a guy getting punched in the gut. I keep shooting until they wobble or fall over completely. I've never seen one wobble and not die shortly thereafter. I have seen them get knocked over by a shot, then get up and walk off. If they're in thick oak brush or somewhere I'd have a hard time tracking, I usually go for the high shoulder shot. Everywhere else, I go for the lungs.

Go. Odds are excellent that you'll have a blast even if you don't fill your tag.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
A few years ago I shot a medium bull with a 300 WSM at about 200 yds across a draw. He was with another elk. I hit it square in the lungs. Both of them ran about 100 yds across the side hill then stopped and I shot it again, hitting within a couple inches of the 1st hole. It slowly went down then.

I was NOT impressed with the performance of the 180 gr AB's I was using. One blew up on a rib and went nowhere. The other separated and I found pieces through the lungs. I later found the core in the heart. Any decent bullet would have floored him on the spot with my 1st shot. I haven't shot an AB at an animal since. I suspect that my 1st shot was the one that didn't penetrate because he should have never run that far. The 2d looked more like a typical heart shot because of the lead core in it.

BTW - since he was across a draw, I laid down and used my pack as a rest. My head was downhill and he was higher than I was so my rifle was angled up. I got hit as hard as the elk did. Selfie attached:

[Linked Image]

Seems we are about the only 2 people who haven't had great results with the Accubonds. Shot my first elk with a 260gr last year and was surprised at the lack of penetration. Not that it didn't work, but of the 5'ish bullets I put in him, none hit heavy bone and none exited. Actually not quite true, one was a neck shot at point blank, also didn't exit.These were from a .375 Ruger.
Like others have noted, this one didn't react at all. Eventually made it about 10-20 yards, so that was good but I don't know what would have happened had I hit him in the shoulder. Looking for a tougher bullet if I use it again this year.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by KC
[Linked Image]

Rocky:

It's an improvement.

KC

Looks like that 300 penetrated just fine.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But no exit wound!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 65 invisible), 3,061 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.