Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have never had issues with the Accubonds on moose then again moose aren't that hard to kill either. When I go elk hunting this year I will try to work up a load using Barnes TSX or partitions. I like to try and break them down by hitting them in the shoulder and hopefully get both shoulders with good penetration hard for an elk to go anywhere with two broke shoulders.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the exception of the three I took with a 45 Colt, a 45/70, and 30/06, the rest, about eleven Bulls were taken with a 340 Bee. Those went down immediately and emphatically and some were up to five hundred yards away. The one eighty-yard sprinter was probably the smallest bull of the bunch and was a satellite bull chasing a cow at the time. Probably thought the herd bull jabbed him one in the ribs..

Edited: most of these were broadside chest shots or close as in slight angles away or toward me with the exception of an Idaho bull who stood 150 yards facing away/ butt toward me but looking back at me. A 250-gr Nos Part in the short ribs never got in but traveled atop and through the ribs exited the hide, re-entered at the base of the neck, broke it and exited the far side.

That's the nice part about a big cartridge and a big bullet. They all drop in their tracks but he made no more tracks.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 06/26/15.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've only killed four elk but all reacted differently. The first one was a big cow shot while trotting broadside at 60 yards with a 210 gr Barnes X BT from a 338 WM. She bronco kicked then ran as hard as she could for about 75 yards to make it to a nice deep ditch to die in.grin Heart shot on that one.

The next was a small cow shot at 100 yds through the heart with a 150 gr Core lokt 30-06. She took maybe two steps then fell down and thrashed around a bit.

Next was a 5 pt bull shot at 320 yds with a 225 gr Accubond from a 338 RUM. Slightly quartering away shot went through the lungs then shattered the off side shoulder. His front half hit the dirt at the shot then he just stood back up and slowly turned towards me. My Colorado friend said "hit him again!" so I did, through the neck into the chest which dropped him for good. The elk was in heavy oak brush.

The last one was the most dramatic. A bull calf (dang it, thought it was a cow) broadside at a lasered 589 yards with a 200 gr Accubond out of a 300 RUM. No way to get closer and still have a shot due to heavy oak brush. I had verified drops out to 600 yards. Drilled it high shoulder, through the base of both scapulas and the spine. I lost the sight picture in recoil but my partner said his head just jerked back and he dropped straight down.

I would definitely put myself in the camp of shoot until they fall. Had I not practiced that, I would have lost one of the nicest whitetail bucks I have killed. It was after sunset in the woods and I held right on the back of the shoulder at 100 yds with a steady rest. The shot broke perfectly and the deer took off running angling towards me. He stopped at 50 yards so I shot him again, dropping him with a heart shot. Guess what, only one hole in him. The next morning I went over to where the deer had been standing and looked back to where I shot from and there was a webwork of little branches that I hadn't seen through the scope. It would have been a long night of futile searching for a deer that I "knew" was dead had I not fired the second shot.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot placement
I'm a neck shooter and they don't make it far or just drop right there.
Learn the elk body and where vitals from different angles

Last edited by Dre; 07/03/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
157 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.