Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guys, first let me say I've never killed an elk. I have though seen videos and movies where an elk when shot usually stumbles a few steps, backs up a few steps or turns in his tracks and just stands there before moving off. I've never see one take off like a whitetail and make a mad dash for cover. Is it just my tainted view after only seeing them killed on TV or in videos? I'm really curious about this. powdr

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they make death dash and sometimes they walk off like nothing hit them and drop over in 20-30 yards.It all depends where they are hit and what they are doing when hit.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've seen all of the above!!
If they are moving, walk or trot, don't waste your ammo if they are running, without hitting major bones mine typically didn't react until they fell over 30-100+ yds. later!

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They can absorb those high powered rounds without flinching sometimes. Best advice I ever got from an oldtimer was don't stop shooting until they are on the ground.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems if they are aware of you...otherwise spooked and adrenalin on overdose....they can take hits and punishment that makes you wonder how they are still on their feet. Times like that a large bull can be like shooting at a truck tire.

Caught unaware,with a bullet in the right spot, they aren't hard to kill. But sometimes they show little reaction to the shot;and as others have pointed out,their reactions to being hit by a bullet can vary all over the place IME.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
There probably isn't any commonality as each animal/sequence is unique. The bottom line is to follow-up each shot as if you are certain of punching your tag.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Seems if they are aware of you...otherwise spooked and adrenalin on overdose....they can take hits and punishment that makes you wonder how they are still on their feet. Times like that a large bull can be like shooting at a truck tire.

Caught unaware,with a bullet in the right spot, they aren't hard to kill. But sometimes they show little reaction to the shot;and as others have pointed out,their reactions to being hit by a bullet can vary all over the place IME.

This has been my experience. Seen more of the "sprint" after the shot when they have seen you or know something is up. Seen more of the "electrifying" reaction when they are totally calm.

What people do immediately after the shot has given many bullets and cartridges a bad rep.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Sometimes they fall over, sometimes they make death dash and sometimes they walk off like nothing hit them and drop over in 20-30 yards.It all depends where they are hit and what they are doing when hit.

Exactly.

Missed this the first time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm with saddlesore, Ive seen many different reactions to a well placed shot. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The first elk I shot (a cow at 272yds with a 140gr TTSX from a Rem .280) dropped in her tracks, but the bull I shot this fall (476yds with a 210 TTSX from a .338 Win) did not react at all. I didn't hear the impact and thought I'd missed. I shot again and lost him in the recoil. When I looked again I couldn't find him and thought he'd made it behind a short finger ridge. I was just sick, but when I made it over to where he was he was laying in the sage.

The shots were under the spine, higher than I had aimed but just beside each other.

[Linked Image]

Golden............
IC B3

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the responses. It looks like I'm partially right and of course partially wrong. I just turned 63 and it's still on my bucket list but it's probably one that won't ever get crossed off. What a majestic animal. powdr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have never lost my enthusiasm to hunt elk. I also learned a long time ago, an elk isn't dead until you have him loaded into your truck. Until that time I am shooting or gutting, but I am certainly not waiting for the elk to drop...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a believer in shooting until they are on the ground. Neck shot at close range gets what you would expect but so does a spine shot at 350 yards - they hit the dirt right now. Lung shots that are fatal may not have much reaction or may trigger a death run. I have hit and killed them on a dead run but they take more than one fatal shot to stop moving.

Lung shot with a high neck finisher is not a bad plan how much adrenalin is in an elks system makes a big difference in what they do when hit..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a believer in shooting until they are on the ground. Neck shot at close range gets what you would expect but so does a spine shot at 350 yards - they hit the dirt right now. Lung shots that are fatal may not have much reaction or may trigger a death run. I have hit and killed them on a dead run but they take more than one fatal shot to stop moving.

Lung shot with a high neck finisher is not a bad plan how much adrenalin is in an elks system makes a big difference in what they do when hit..

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it is on your bucket list don't wait another year. Grab a younger hunting partner with a 4x4 truck if you don't already have one, scout a little on line and on this forum or others and head to Colorado for an over the counter bull tag. For $600 and the cost of a camping trip to the mountains you can be hunting elk.

Your odds wont be great but you will see what elk hunting is like without a TV remote in your hand and won't die wondering what it would have been like to smell elk in the dark timber with a rifle in your hand or spot a bull at 1000 yards moving across a shale slope.

Once you have the bug it is hard to miss a season. In the age of Google earth and internet research you can get an idea of a couple of areas that look interesting and may do great. Better yet check for areas with leftover cow tags and more than double your odds of grilling up elk loin......just do a little extra homework on caring for that big carcass to maximize your eating enjoyment. Good boots and an old frame pack for meat hauling along with layers for changing weather a map and compass and your deer hunting stuff is really all you need.

It is certainly a habit that is hard to break once you start, at your age you still have years left if you are in good physical condition. If you lungs aren't in good shape a low altitude guided hunt or the TV remote would be a better plan.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Definitely get out during the season. It really isn't much more than a camping trip with a rifle. Certainly does not need to be expensive. Everything I need fits in my luggage, and then on my back. The cost is basically the license and then getting there.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by powdr
Thanks guys. I do appreciate the responses. It looks like I'm partially right and of course partially wrong. I just turned 63 and it's still on my bucket list but it's probably one that won't ever get crossed off. What a majestic animal. powdr

Do it. While my Dad was a great man in my life growing up, we didn't take the time to do these things when we were both young enough to enjoy it, and get into the hard places that held the elk.

We go now each Fall, but I can see that the mountain is steeper for him every year, and I'm beginning to feel it, too.

Point being, odds are that "somebody" in your family, or your true friends, would go with you. It doesn't have to be a solo hunt.

FWIW, my first elk was a solid double lung shot, followed by a 200-300 yard death run, and very little blood as the hide covered the entry and exit holes very well while he was moving. He was at the edge of a tree line, no follow-up shot available.

We assumed a miss for the first 30-50 yards of tracking, then found one big drop of blood, and started looking further out. Blood was left at one dime-sized drop about every 10-25 yards, until we found him upside down next to a log.

Last edited by AH64guy; 06/17/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Everyone I've shot died within 10 feet of being hit with exception of one that was running when I shot him. I fire until they topple, legs start to buckle or at least wobble. The idea of a marginal hit with a drawn out chase with a diminishing blood trail scares me so my goal is to hammer them and not wait to see what happens.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The bull I shot this past season gave a classic bronco buck and down hill dash indicating a heart shot. The cow I killed folded to the shoulder shot, got back up and was headed down hill when I dropped her with a high spine hit. The elk I have shot with my 338 have all showed a reaction to the hit. The 2 I shot with a 270 needed some convincing they were hit.

Perry

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I guess I am in the minority about keep shooting until they are on the ground. I limit my shots to about 300 yards max,give or take a little, but 95% of them are less than 100 yards in rifle season. I am really picky about taking the shot,and I must have a high probablity that the shot is 100% good before I pull the trigger. Conseqently after the shot,I put another one in the chamber,but in reality in the thick stuff I usually hunt,there is no chance for a 2nd shot. Secondly,I hunt for meat and if it isn't necessary,I see no reason to waste more meat. Hunting muzzle loader hunts for years,I got into the habit of making the first shot count.

Of course the next reply will be someone saying they would rather take a 1/2 an elk home than lose one or not punch a tag. I'd rather take the whole elk home or let it walk

Last season,I did shoot twice at a bull. . He took off in that death run. He was in a small clearing, so I had the opportunity.However,he went less than 100 yards and piled up in the timber. I had missed the 2nd shot.

Out of about 4 dozen elk I have tagged. I lost two. One I found the next day,but it had spoiled and one a few years ago in ML season. That one was dead ,I know, but three of us looked 1/2 a day for her in the tall weeds and I went back the next day and spent several more hours.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/17/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 31 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,485
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.