-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was recently in Montana and spent a week seeing the Bozeman area. I made it down to Ennis and enjoyed perusing Shedhorn Sports. Seems like a nice shop and kind of reminded me of Reeds in Walker MN. Small town with a nice big gun store with a lot of other gear to boot.

I gotta say after spending some time in SW Montana I'm a little envious of you all that call it home. Beautiful Mountains, Great hunting opportunities, no sales tax and locals that seem pretty darn nice. Seems like the overriding issue is the cost of living is kind of high (at least in Bozeman) and the number of high paying jobs is seemingly low. At least that is what I learned from the chamber members at the local tap houses. I'll definitely visit again.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of reasons to live here. Bozeman has become a Mecca for quasi-outdoor people. The problem is that they want everyone here to welcome them and adapt to their chosen preferences for outdoor activities and modify our heritage of hunting and fishing.

I pay little attention to them and get away as often as possible to what is left of Montana and that is only about a half an hour away. Shedhorn is a fantastic store with more to offer and more sales than all the other gun shops in the region. All their counter people know guns and shooting as a result, people come from all over to take advantage of that.

Ronan, Montana had a similar store years ago and that all went away when Dan left. He is making real nice traditional bows now and they are in high demand...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Shrapnel I think I saw a picture of you at the Sportsman's warehouse from a Turkey hunt. If it wasn't you it was someone that post on the boards here as I had seen the pic before.

I see enough of what your talking about in People moving north from the Twin Cities I can only imagine what some Folks are trying to "fix" in MT. At least it gets cold enough here to send them to AZ or FL for most of the year.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spent 4 days in Bozeman and a week in Jardine. Wow.

Two quotes by John Steinbeck.....

“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”

and being a Texican I can definately relate to this one.......

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I hunted with the owner in WY last year. Stand up all around great guy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The place will lighten up your wallet, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It sure did mine last time I was there whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great gun shop, in a funky little town.

Montana sucks though, too expensive and cold.

I hear Colorado is nice.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Colorado! Nice? That's just a rumor...please stay home.

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I miss going to Shedhorn, they always had a great selection of hunting rifles.

2 rifles from them in the safe along with a 629 S&W Classic I bought used about 8 years ago.

Terrible location though.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
While looking for a "mountain home" ten years ago while living in Alberta we first looked in NW Montana around Thompson Falls and found two great places. Only concern was we intended to age with the place and wanted a hospital nearby. So we headed west into Idaho and bought a place 15 or so miles up the Cabinet's outside Sandpoint. Could not be happier.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I used to travel through Ennis regularly for work. Always stopped in to Shedhorn to fondle the firearms. They had them all out in racks on the floor, hundreds of new and used rifles and shotguns, some antique. You could walk around and pick up any gun you wanted without having to wait for a salesperson to come around. Hopefully it is still set up this way. I haven't been there in a few years.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, it still setup the same way! Always enjoy stopping there when I get a chance.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Will probably visit early next month.. Great place..

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 16 invisible), 1,404 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.