Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I was wondering if anybody has had a problem with cases not wanting to extract from the chamber on a Remington 700? This happens a few times even with factory loads. Doesn't matter what brand they are. Any ideas what the problem could be?

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rough chamber?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
The chamber doesn't look rough. I bought it brand new a couple of months ago. It is a 700 sps 7mm rem mag. This has me stumped.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've had 700's that didn't extract for chit. Get used to it or get a better rifle... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've seen a big old claw on a Ruger 77 that wouldn't extract either. New rifle, not abused.

It's a matter of a particular part, not the design.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look carefully at the fired brass for a shiny area. If there is any place in the chamber that has a scratch or low spot the brass will conform to it when fired and have to be rubbed off to extract.

The chamber may look fine but unless you can view it with a borescope it may be difficult to see.

There is another reason but I doubt it is your problem. If a very hot load is fired in the rifle the chamber can bulge in the area just in front of the web. Saw it once in a 7 RUM. The bolt handle rotated easily but case wouldn't extract. A piece of wood placed against the bolt handle and tapped rearward with a hammer was the only way to extract a fire round. The tell tale bright ring just in front of the web was easily seen. The barrel was removed and discarded.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The newer Remington 700 actions have a bolt timing issue. The bolt handle is not properly located on the bolt and primary extraction camming is lost. Dan Armstrong of Accu-tig.com can and will correct this problem.

NRA Life Patron Member Benefactor Level
USN/USMC Vietnam Vet 1969-70
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'd send it back to Remington.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Look in the chamber very carefully.

If you are sure there is nothing in it, box it up and send it to Remington.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I should have asked you if the extractor is holding on to the case and it is hard to pull rearward or is the extractor not holding on to the case rim? I assumed the case was sticking in the chamber.

IC B3

L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I went to the range this morning. Fired one shot and the case was stuck. I came home, called Remington and told them my issue. They said to send it back. I removed the scope, boxed it up and called Scheels All Sports where I bought it. Scheels ordered me a replacement and will send this back to Remington.
I am glad Scheels took care of me as a customer. New rifle should be here in a few days. I hope it is a good one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not a Remington but a Savage. My bud sent his rifle back to Savage as the cases would not eject. Got it back and same problem. He does not reload. I asked if he'd ever tried a different brand of ammo. He did. Solved the problem.
Quien Sabe,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Had this issue myself. Problem was a burr in the chamber. My gunsmith put a reamer in and turned it by hand to take the burr out. Problem solved

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had that happen on 2 Remingtons, a .223 and a .300 win mag. Eh, with as many rifles as I've been through that's a decent track record. They all should be perfect but as long as they're built on machines built by mortal humans, [bleep] is going to happen once in a while. As you say, a hand turned reamer fixed it both times.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Problem turned out to be a bad chamber along with a binding bolt. I have owned 6 Rem 700's all bought brand new and have had to send 4 of them off to get repaired. Not a good track record at all. I have not bought Remingtons for several years because of this. I decided to give Remington another chance because they are made here in the USA. There was a time when you bought a Remington you had a quality made gun. Like the saying goes..{all good things come to an end}. Sadly, this is true with Remington.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Anything after a Model 98 has not been a step forward in my book. Muddy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned at least 30 Model 700's over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. The 700 is my first choice in a rifle and my first choice of a action when building a rifle.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Labman95
I'd send it back to Remington.

I'd buy a custom built action in a Remington clone design and go from there.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by lonehawk
There was a time when you bought a Remington you had a quality made gun. Like the saying goes..{all good things come to an end}. Sadly, this is true with Remington.

They are more interested in making money vs. providing a quality built firearm that will last over 100 years. I doubt the owners of Remington even shoot at all.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.