Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mathman,

Yeah, I've heard that too, about the barrels on both .17 a .204 caliber barrels on Remington 700's, but have never been able to confirm it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I can't recall reading that Carmichael theory, but had heard some early Remington barrels were rough--which was why I looked for an early 700. When I wrote an article reporting essentially no fouling problems, a guy contacted me saying that some of the early barrels were indeed very bad foulers, and that he'd had more than one. He claimed to have some sort of proof, but I can't remember what it was.

After an initial cleaning of my rifle (which didn't show any visible throat erosion through the bore-scope) I deliberately shot it without any cleaning to see when groups started opening up. It didn't happen until around round 120, and even then accuracy was still around an inch.

I cleaned the bore at that point and treated it with Dyna Bore-Coat, and after that the rifle would go 200+ rounds without cleaning and still shoot the same.

Have seen the same thing with other .17 caliber cartridges, both rimfires and the .17 Hornet and Fireball. In fact I haven't cleaned my CZ .17 Hornet at all since buying it new, and it just keeps shooting 5-shot groups around 1/2", with any load, whether factory or whatever weird handload combo I come up with. Have rarely cleaned my .17 HMR since buying it in 2003, and it just keeps shooting great.

Yet I still sometimes hear people saying they won't own any .17 caliber rifle because they're foulers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for confirming the AA2700 thing John, I'd heard that but wasn't certain.

My 17 is an early BDL and I'll say that in it's case fouling is pretty much a non issue. I cleaned it down to bare metal when I bought it, and decided to give it a fair shake before rebarreling. It shoots lights out and I've let it go 200 shots between scrubbings with no major change in group size.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info.

I'm starting to wonder where all those "rough" early barrels are. Did everybody who ended up with one rebarrel their rifles?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Travis,

I've read the same comments. I also believe Remington over corrected on their jackets. I bought a bulk lot of them in the early/mid 90's that were prone to pencil holing on coyotes. I was having coyotes I was sure I had hit well, act as if nothing happened. It wasn't until I killed a few with follow up shots to the CNS that I started finding pencil holes. I realize a few coyotes doesn't make an empirical test but it made me always suspect they ran some 17 bullets with tougher jackets to correct for the early ones. I went back to the Hornadys and have never had a reason to switch. Their 25 grain HP always works.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
The 17-222 Mag Flaig barreled Sako has never had a cleaning rod through it, nor has a friends 17 FartBall, both of which slapped the crap out of the steel targets from 200-450 yards recently.

When they start having unexplicable misses, I might clean them.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I inherited a 15" Bullberry in 17 Mach 4 from my dad. Have only put about 60 shots through it. Ran a wet patch and a dry patch when I first got it. And did the same after about 50 shots. It didn't need it. I have another Bullberry, a 218 Bee, and it seems to never need cleaning either. Both those bores act like bores I have treated. I've been meaning to find out whether Bullberry hand-laps, or exactly what they do to their barrels. I can't even make soft cast bullets shot 2200+ foul the Bee. They won't shoot accurately that fast, but they don't lead the bore.

The Mach 4 is a lot of fun! I remember having a discussion with JB about 17 cals. You highly recommended one, John, and I see why. Haven't shot any game with it, but with the fireforming loads I've run, hitting water bottles out to 150 is pretty dramatic. They don't just pop. The pieces get flung 8-10ft sideways. Pretty cool stuff! I haven't settled on a load for that one either. H4198 is working well so far, but I may be able to do better.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My initial starting powders for the 17 Rem are Varget, 2495, and BLC(2) with the 25 HP, all short ladders to half a grain under max according to manufacturer data. I'll end up trying 4320 as well, when I can get my hands on some.

I'm curious just how bad a fouler the rifle will be. Maybe my father was just overly o/c about the bore. The likelihood of that was already high, and with what you gentlemen have added to my understanding, it seems more and more certain.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going. I never had one that was a fouler and the go to powder in those days was 4320 as others have posted, along with W760. Those powders still work great in the 17 Rem. with W760 being exceptional behind a 30gr. bullet. In an 18" barrel Model 7 I owned, H322 worked the best of any powder I tried. That powder had good accuracy in my longer barrel 17's, but not any better than 4320. IMR8208 is what I mainly use now in all of my 17's and 204's. But, in my 30gr. loads in the 17 Rem. I still use H414/W760. All of my loads are with Rem. 7 1/2 primers.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

I can't recall reading that Carmichael theory, but had heard some early Remington barrels were rough--which was why I looked for an early 700. When I wrote an article reporting essentially no fouling problems, a guy contacted me saying that some of the early barrels were indeed very bad foulers, and that he'd had more than one. He claimed to have some sort of proof, but I can't remember what it was.

After an initial cleaning of my rifle (which didn't show any visible throat erosion through the bore-scope) I deliberately shot it without any cleaning to see when groups started opening up. It didn't happen until around round 120, and even then accuracy was still around an inch.

I cleaned the bore at that point and treated it with Dyna Bore-Coat, and after that the rifle would go 200+ rounds without cleaning and still shoot the same.

Have seen the same thing with other .17 caliber cartridges, both rimfires and the .17 Hornet and Fireball. In fact I haven't cleaned my CZ .17 Hornet at all since buying it new, and it just keeps shooting 5-shot groups around 1/2", with any load, whether factory or whatever weird handload combo I come up with. Have rarely cleaned my .17 HMR since buying it in 2003, and it just keeps shooting great.

Yet I still sometimes hear people saying they won't own any .17 caliber rifle because they're foulers.

John,

If you have an old copy of The Modern Rifle, check out the chapter dedicated to varmint cartridges. He has a section that concerns all things .17.

He explains the rough bore problem did exist. But it existed in the 30's. Barrel makers still hadn't figured out how to drill and rifle bores that small in diameter yet. But by the time Remington was standardizing the .17 Rem, all those problems had been sorted out by O'Brien, Shilen, and others.

This is all off memory but I read that book about 5,000 times when I was a wee-little-'flave.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K22
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going.

That had to be one of the very first.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mart
Travis,

I've read the same comments. I also believe Remington over corrected on their jackets. I bought a bulk lot of them in the early/mid 90's that were prone to pencil holing on coyotes. I was having coyotes I was sure I had hit well, act as if nothing happened. It wasn't until I killed a few with follow up shots to the CNS that I started finding pencil holes. I realize a few coyotes doesn't make an empirical test but it made me always suspect they ran some 17 bullets with tougher jackets to correct for the early ones. I went back to the Hornadys and have never had a reason to switch. Their 25 grain HP always works.

Same here. They always shot well for me but the Hornady HP was more deadlier.

I was shooting mine yesterday at the range and I just can't help but laugh every time I shoot a group with it.

Travis

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by K22
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going.

Travis

I briefly thought about using 2001 as the date so as not to date me, but that would have been to much of a lie. grin

I practically camped over night in front of the gun shop waiting for the first one to arrive. I had read everything I could find about the 17 back in the day. P.O.Ackley and some of those ol' wildcatter that wrote about the 17 cal. back then really had my blood pumping for one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Yeah, I have a copy, purchased the year it appeared, probably from the Outdoor Life Book Club. Will check it out.

Probably don't remember the comments on .17's due to believing they were possessed by demons. Do remember all the comments on the .220 Swift, which demonstrates (a word obviously derived from "demon") what happens to memory after a number of years and IPA's. That's not a warning, just fact.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I forgot what we were talking about but I wish you luck with it regardless.

Love always,
Tumbleweed

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bent Nails????

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those too....

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by K22

Travis

I briefly thought about using 2001 as the date so as not to date me, but that would have been to much of a lie. grin

I practically camped over night in front of the gun shop waiting for the first one to arrive. I had read everything I could find about the 17 back in the day. P.O.Ackley and some of those ol' wildcatter that wrote about the 17 cal. back then really had my blood pumping for one.

I hate to get off topic because I know how much it stresses Mule Deer but if I may offer a simple observation.....

You're frikin old dude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
+1 for 24 grains of 4320 and a 25 grain bullet. Great load in the 17.

+2

I've yet to see a 17Rem that wouldn't shot that load pretty darn well.
I shot 4320 for years and still have a few hundred rounds loaded with it on hand but nowday's I load N140 behind Channing Nagel's excellent 25 grainers. Shot my best group ever with it so I'm sticking with the N140. It also meters well and burns clean.
I'm not sure how many "win's" that is but it quite a few.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only significant fouling I've had with .17 caliber was from two .17 Remington TC Contender barrels, both carbine length, one "standard", one from their Custom Shop. Both had a drop-off point for accuracy under 20 rounds.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 64 invisible), 3,044 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.