Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm getting ready to load for and shoot a lovely little scrollwork-engraved Rem 700 in 17 that was one of my dad's favorites. The plan is to sell it, but I can't resist shooting it first. We'll see if I can part with it.

Pet loads, anyone? Favorite powders? I've got Hornady 20 V-max and 25 HP, both naked and moly.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Either bullet on top of 24gr's of IMR 4320 and a Remington 7 1/2 primer.

Don't sell it.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Two guns you never sell - the first one you owned and any that belonged to someone that meant something to you.

Sorry. I never owned a .17, let alone loaded for one.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
+1 for 24 grains of 4320 and a 25 grain bullet. Great load in the 17.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

23.7gns of Varget (2208) and a 25gn Hornady HP works for me.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you have some, Ramshot Big Game was the best powder tried in my .17 Remington when I owned it. Ramshot doesn't have any data listed but I dared the elements and tried it anyway. I ran 28.0 grains with 20's and 26.5 with 25's.

Benchmark was second-best with 20's, and Varget with 25's, using Hodgdon data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When loading for the .17 Remington there should be no deviation from either the 7 1/2 primer, or 4320.

The changing of these two components will likely lead to demonic possession.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Maybe, but I suspect the demons invade the moment anybody buys a .17 Remington.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I took a 700 BDL up to the then published max of 25.2 grains of IMR 4320 under a Remington 25 grain HP back when Remington made their own.

Demons FLED.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thank you, everyone, for your input thus far!

I don't have any 4320. I'd actually wondered if it would be recommended. It was the only powder I can remember my father using. He also often complained about the small bore getting fouled quickly. I suspected the two were connected. I can get my hands on some.

I don't have any Big Game, either, and I would have guessed it would be to slow. Can't argue with results though. Hodgdon doesn't list 4320 in its online data either, and that seems to be a popular choice! I do have Varget, and Benchmark. And 2495, Tac, 322 and several others in the appropriate burn range. Had planned on starting with the 25's, and it looks like Varget and 2495. Will load these up this morning. If they don't show promise, I'll get back some 4320 that was given away.

I'm not after screaming speed, and I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on the bore. I DO want to see 25gr bullets at 4 grand though, and I'm excited to shoot this rifle. As I said, it was one of my dad's favorites. He had two 17 Rems over the years, and he held onto this one. I don't know his reasoning, but I will say that the rifle is one of the loveliest 700's I've ever seen, with the scrollwork action and handsome, well finished wood. The trigger is adjusted to what feels to be about a pound and a half. I've got a scale around here somewhere. I've got a bit of a crush on the rifle, that deepens every time I handle it. Have seriously begun to doubt parting with it. It would be regrettable later, I suspect.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Winchester 760 is another powder worth considering with 25gn bullets.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've shot an awful lot of 4320 through a 17 and never found it to bad for fouling. When I first had mine I fell into the 17's foul badly and need to be cleaned every 20 shots mindset. One trip to the ground squirrel killing fields cured me of that. The first day I was cleaning pretty frequently and about to swear off the 17 because of all the barrel cleaning. The next day I shot without cleaning till I ran out of squirrels and daylight. Just for grins and giggles I shot a group with it after somewhere north of 250 rounds of squirrel shooting. It was still grouping a little under 3/4", which was normal for that rifle. It would run around 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups most any day. Half inch if I was on, 3/4" if I wasn't. I quit the OCD cleaning regimen after that. Once or twice a year now whether it needs it or not.

I wouldn't stress too much about fouling.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Thank you, everyone, for your input thus far!

I don't have any 4320. I'd actually wondered if it would be recommended. It was the only powder I can remember my father using. He also often complained about the small bore getting fouled quickly. I suspected the two were connected. I can get my hands on some.

I don't have any Big Game, either, and I would have guessed it would be to slow. Can't argue with results though. Hodgdon doesn't list 4320 in its online data either, and that seems to be a popular choice! I do have Varget, and Benchmark. And 2495, Tac, 322 and several others in the appropriate burn range. Had planned on starting with the 25's, and it looks like Varget and 2495. Will load these up this morning. If they don't show promise, I'll get back some 4320 that was given away.

I'm not after screaming speed, and I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on the bore. I DO want to see 25gr bullets at 4 grand though, and I'm excited to shoot this rifle. As I said, it was one of my dad's favorites. He had two 17 Rems over the years, and he held onto this one. I don't know his reasoning, but I will say that the rifle is one of the loveliest 700's I've ever seen, with the scrollwork action and handsome, well finished wood. The trigger is adjusted to what feels to be about a pound and a half. I've got a scale around here somewhere. I've got a bit of a crush on the rifle, that deepens every time I handle it. Have seriously begun to doubt parting with it. It would be regrettable later, I suspect.

I had one with the scrollwork and it was a shootin' sumbitch.

If you do sell it let me know. I'll buy it with the understanding that you can always buy it back if you change your mind. The BDL .17's are really cool IMO.

We've been getting a lot of 4320 up here if you need some.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by dingo

Agreed.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Maybe, but I suspect the demons invade the moment anybody buys a .17 Remington.

The power of Christ compels you....

The power of Christ compels you....

Dave

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
HuntnShoot,

I long suspected a lot of the reason for the "fouling" reputation of the .17 Remington was due to the dirty-burning spherical powders often used in factory ammo when it was introduced. It would have been logical for Remington to load them in the .17 because they'd flow easily through the small neck.

I bought a 700 built in the second year of production to test this theory, which hadn't been shot much at all, and never had any fouling problem with Benchmark, Varget or Big Game, a very clean-burning spherical of about the same burn-rate as 760. But 760 isn't particularly clean-burning, though the latest version seems better than it used to be. I have been told, however, by people who bought early 700's that some of those barrels were pretty rough.

As for the powders such as 2495, TAC, H322, etc, that you list as "appropriate," they're actually a little fast for the .17 Remington, especially with .25's. They'll work, but they're better suited to the .223 than the .17 Remington, which has a little more powder room than the .223 with a considerably smaller bore.

Hence somewhat slower powders work better; generally powders that fill up a case, or come close, without producing excessive pressure will produce the highest velocities.

4320 is a classic, since it's a little slower than either of the 4895's, but Hornady lists 760 as producing the highest velocities in the .17 Remington with 25's, and it's slower than 4320. But even 760 still doesn't fill up the case, the reason I tried Big Game, which is just a little slower than 760. Plus, Big Game burns cleaner.

I tend to run a lot of spherical powders in .17 caliber cartridges, because when loading with a powder measure they flow through the small necks a lot easier. Finer-grained extruded powders also work well, another reason 4320 has been a classic .17 powder.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had good luck with AA2700 under 25gr bullets in mine. I've also had good luck but less speed with 3031, an old friend of mine used the 25 Hornady and enough 3031 for 3800fps to great effect on wolves, coyotes, foxes, and even a handful of caribou so I just had to try it. I haven't shot anything but paper, but the accuracy is there. I get outstanding accuracy with CFE223 under 20gr Hornady's. I'm using rem7 1/2s now but when I couldn't find any a couple years ago I found the heavy cup CCI 41 designed for ARs to work quite well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a comment that W760, H414 and A2700 are all exactly the same powder.

Data will vary slightly in some sources because of lot-to-lot variation, but the powder is all made in the same factory, then goes into different canisters.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Somewhere, maybe around here, I've read that Shilen was supplying a good number of .17 barrels to Remington. Do you know if there's any truth to it?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've owned and shot four .17 Remingtons and I have never experienced the fouling problems that are supposed to accompany the cartridge. I know Carmichael has written that the fouling theory was started when initial batches of Remington bullets were too thin in the jacket. This supposedly caused bullets to come unglued and the cause was mistakenly put on barrel fouling by some writers. The myth kept getting reprinted.

No idea if this is true or not but it has never been an issue for me. And I very rarely clean rifles.

Travis

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
mathman,

Yeah, I've heard that too, about the barrels on both .17 a .204 caliber barrels on Remington 700's, but have never been able to confirm it.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

I can't recall reading that Carmichael theory, but had heard some early Remington barrels were rough--which was why I looked for an early 700. When I wrote an article reporting essentially no fouling problems, a guy contacted me saying that some of the early barrels were indeed very bad foulers, and that he'd had more than one. He claimed to have some sort of proof, but I can't remember what it was.

After an initial cleaning of my rifle (which didn't show any visible throat erosion through the bore-scope) I deliberately shot it without any cleaning to see when groups started opening up. It didn't happen until around round 120, and even then accuracy was still around an inch.

I cleaned the bore at that point and treated it with Dyna Bore-Coat, and after that the rifle would go 200+ rounds without cleaning and still shoot the same.

Have seen the same thing with other .17 caliber cartridges, both rimfires and the .17 Hornet and Fireball. In fact I haven't cleaned my CZ .17 Hornet at all since buying it new, and it just keeps shooting 5-shot groups around 1/2", with any load, whether factory or whatever weird handload combo I come up with. Have rarely cleaned my .17 HMR since buying it in 2003, and it just keeps shooting great.

Yet I still sometimes hear people saying they won't own any .17 caliber rifle because they're foulers.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for confirming the AA2700 thing John, I'd heard that but wasn't certain.

My 17 is an early BDL and I'll say that in it's case fouling is pretty much a non issue. I cleaned it down to bare metal when I bought it, and decided to give it a fair shake before rebarreling. It shoots lights out and I've let it go 200 shots between scrubbings with no major change in group size.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks for the info.

I'm starting to wonder where all those "rough" early barrels are. Did everybody who ended up with one rebarrel their rifles?

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Travis,

I've read the same comments. I also believe Remington over corrected on their jackets. I bought a bulk lot of them in the early/mid 90's that were prone to pencil holing on coyotes. I was having coyotes I was sure I had hit well, act as if nothing happened. It wasn't until I killed a few with follow up shots to the CNS that I started finding pencil holes. I realize a few coyotes doesn't make an empirical test but it made me always suspect they ran some 17 bullets with tougher jackets to correct for the early ones. I went back to the Hornadys and have never had a reason to switch. Their 25 grain HP always works.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The 17-222 Mag Flaig barreled Sako has never had a cleaning rod through it, nor has a friends 17 FartBall, both of which slapped the crap out of the steel targets from 200-450 yards recently.

When they start having unexplicable misses, I might clean them.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I inherited a 15" Bullberry in 17 Mach 4 from my dad. Have only put about 60 shots through it. Ran a wet patch and a dry patch when I first got it. And did the same after about 50 shots. It didn't need it. I have another Bullberry, a 218 Bee, and it seems to never need cleaning either. Both those bores act like bores I have treated. I've been meaning to find out whether Bullberry hand-laps, or exactly what they do to their barrels. I can't even make soft cast bullets shot 2200+ foul the Bee. They won't shoot accurately that fast, but they don't lead the bore.

The Mach 4 is a lot of fun! I remember having a discussion with JB about 17 cals. You highly recommended one, John, and I see why. Haven't shot any game with it, but with the fireforming loads I've run, hitting water bottles out to 150 is pretty dramatic. They don't just pop. The pieces get flung 8-10ft sideways. Pretty cool stuff! I haven't settled on a load for that one either. H4198 is working well so far, but I may be able to do better.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
My initial starting powders for the 17 Rem are Varget, 2495, and BLC(2) with the 25 HP, all short ladders to half a grain under max according to manufacturer data. I'll end up trying 4320 as well, when I can get my hands on some.

I'm curious just how bad a fouler the rifle will be. Maybe my father was just overly o/c about the bore. The likelihood of that was already high, and with what you gentlemen have added to my understanding, it seems more and more certain.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going. I never had one that was a fouler and the go to powder in those days was 4320 as others have posted, along with W760. Those powders still work great in the 17 Rem. with W760 being exceptional behind a 30gr. bullet. In an 18" barrel Model 7 I owned, H322 worked the best of any powder I tried. That powder had good accuracy in my longer barrel 17's, but not any better than 4320. IMR8208 is what I mainly use now in all of my 17's and 204's. But, in my 30gr. loads in the 17 Rem. I still use H414/W760. All of my loads are with Rem. 7 1/2 primers.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Travis,

I can't recall reading that Carmichael theory, but had heard some early Remington barrels were rough--which was why I looked for an early 700. When I wrote an article reporting essentially no fouling problems, a guy contacted me saying that some of the early barrels were indeed very bad foulers, and that he'd had more than one. He claimed to have some sort of proof, but I can't remember what it was.

After an initial cleaning of my rifle (which didn't show any visible throat erosion through the bore-scope) I deliberately shot it without any cleaning to see when groups started opening up. It didn't happen until around round 120, and even then accuracy was still around an inch.

I cleaned the bore at that point and treated it with Dyna Bore-Coat, and after that the rifle would go 200+ rounds without cleaning and still shoot the same.

Have seen the same thing with other .17 caliber cartridges, both rimfires and the .17 Hornet and Fireball. In fact I haven't cleaned my CZ .17 Hornet at all since buying it new, and it just keeps shooting 5-shot groups around 1/2", with any load, whether factory or whatever weird handload combo I come up with. Have rarely cleaned my .17 HMR since buying it in 2003, and it just keeps shooting great.

Yet I still sometimes hear people saying they won't own any .17 caliber rifle because they're foulers.

John,

If you have an old copy of The Modern Rifle, check out the chapter dedicated to varmint cartridges. He has a section that concerns all things .17.

He explains the rough bore problem did exist. But it existed in the 30's. Barrel makers still hadn't figured out how to drill and rifle bores that small in diameter yet. But by the time Remington was standardizing the .17 Rem, all those problems had been sorted out by O'Brien, Shilen, and others.

This is all off memory but I read that book about 5,000 times when I was a wee-little-'flave.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by K22
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going.

That had to be one of the very first.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by mart
Travis,

I've read the same comments. I also believe Remington over corrected on their jackets. I bought a bulk lot of them in the early/mid 90's that were prone to pencil holing on coyotes. I was having coyotes I was sure I had hit well, act as if nothing happened. It wasn't until I killed a few with follow up shots to the CNS that I started finding pencil holes. I realize a few coyotes doesn't make an empirical test but it made me always suspect they ran some 17 bullets with tougher jackets to correct for the early ones. I went back to the Hornadys and have never had a reason to switch. Their 25 grain HP always works.

Same here. They always shot well for me but the Hornady HP was more deadlier.

I was shooting mine yesterday at the range and I just can't help but laugh every time I shoot a group with it.

Travis

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by K22
I don't have much to add, but will confirm what others have reported. My first 17 Rem. was in 1971 and began a love affair that is still on going.

Travis

I briefly thought about using 2001 as the date so as not to date me, but that would have been to much of a lie. grin

I practically camped over night in front of the gun shop waiting for the first one to arrive. I had read everything I could find about the 17 back in the day. P.O.Ackley and some of those ol' wildcatter that wrote about the 17 cal. back then really had my blood pumping for one.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Travis,

Yeah, I have a copy, purchased the year it appeared, probably from the Outdoor Life Book Club. Will check it out.

Probably don't remember the comments on .17's due to believing they were possessed by demons. Do remember all the comments on the .220 Swift, which demonstrates (a word obviously derived from "demon") what happens to memory after a number of years and IPA's. That's not a warning, just fact.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I forgot what we were talking about but I wish you luck with it regardless.

Love always,
Tumbleweed

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Bent Nails????

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Those too....

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

Travis

I briefly thought about using 2001 as the date so as not to date me, but that would have been to much of a lie. grin

I practically camped over night in front of the gun shop waiting for the first one to arrive. I had read everything I could find about the 17 back in the day. P.O.Ackley and some of those ol' wildcatter that wrote about the 17 cal. back then really had my blood pumping for one.

I hate to get off topic because I know how much it stresses Mule Deer but if I may offer a simple observation.....

You're frikin old dude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
+1 for 24 grains of 4320 and a 25 grain bullet. Great load in the 17.

+2

I've yet to see a 17Rem that wouldn't shot that load pretty darn well.
I shot 4320 for years and still have a few hundred rounds loaded with it on hand but nowday's I load N140 behind Channing Nagel's excellent 25 grainers. Shot my best group ever with it so I'm sticking with the N140. It also meters well and burns clean.
I'm not sure how many "win's" that is but it quite a few.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only significant fouling I've had with .17 caliber was from two .17 Remington TC Contender barrels, both carbine length, one "standard", one from their Custom Shop. Both had a drop-off point for accuracy under 20 rounds.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My favorite load in my 17 Remington is the Berger 25 gr MHP with 22.5 gr of Rel 15 , Remington 7.5 BR Primer in Remington Brass. This load will shot bug holes from my 17 R

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 2nd generation Remington factory loads were rumored to be bonded after they went to the heavier jackets. I am hoarding those for deer and they are good for Turkey too where you don't want them to fragment.

Not sure when Remington switched to the Hornaday 25 instead of the in house 25? Sometime in the early 90's I think.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22

Travis

I hate to get off topic because I know how much it stresses Mule Deer but if I may offer a simple observation.....

You're frikin old dude.

Thanks a lot! mad
And to think I was starting to feel rather spry, then you posted that. ggrrrrr!!!!

But its gratifying knowing you are older than me. laugh

Are you saying that Mule Deer is more grouchy than you? shocked

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Geezzzz,,,, it was just an observation,,, take some Geritol and relax. grin

mad And NOBODY, BUT NOBODY is grouchier than me, AND DON'T FORGET IT. mad

Gotta go,,,, I have a date with a gal half my age that likes to stick her finger up my but.

OK,,,, truth is,,, it's a doctors appointment but don't tell anyone.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
What a grouch!!! crazy

I think your doctor sounds better than mine. Want to swap? grin

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Where's the 'Like' button for FG's finger butt post? That's pretty good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dooger
Where's the 'Like' button for FG's finger butt post? That's pretty good.

I told my barber that one the other day.

He laughed so hard I was starting to fear for my left ear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dingo

Yes!! My fast load for the 17 was H414 (same as) at 25.- grains with a CCI 450 primer. (It pierced some others.) 19.0 IMR 4198 was another load my rifle liked. It seemed rather mild and doesn’t push 4K like the H414 load does.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
HuntnShoot: All three of my 17 Remington Varmint Rifles prefer and perform wonderfully (lethality wise) with the Berger 25 grain bullets.
Two of them prefer H 4895 powder and the third likes IMR 4320 powder best.
I use Remington 7 1/2 primers in all of them.
I use "molied" Bergers in one of my 17's and think its worth that effort.
I have tried all manner of 25 grain bullets in my various 17 Remingtons but never tested the 20 grainers.
Best of luck to you and good luck selling that Rifle when the time comes - but I say keep it, for old times sake, if nothing else.
I am sure if you do sell it that the day will come when you wish you had it back.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tejano
The 2nd generation Remington factory loads were rumored to be bonded after they went to the heavier jackets. I am hoarding those for deer and they are good for Turkey too where you don't want them to fragment.

Not sure when Remington switched to the Hornaday 25 instead of the in house 25? Sometime in the early 90's I think.

I’ve heard that Remington might have used Hornady to source their 17 bullets at some point in time. I know those old Remingtons didn’t always look the same as the Hornady 25 HP. I kind of think I can remember the Rem 25 HPs being Power-lokt for awhile????? (Or is that just another memory I have- like some others- that just ain’t so?)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes Klik, the old Remington factory load used the Power Lokt plated bullets that were also available as components. They were like mini Speer Deepcurls! I have a box somewhere but haven't gotten around to loading any, had great luck with 20 and 25 grainers from Hornady. I even have a half dozen boxes of 25gr Barnes Original soft points lying around. Never seen any more of them and Barnes swears up and down that they never produced such a projectile. But they are sealed in orange AccuTech boxes that boldly state what they are and where they came from.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I shot about 800 rounds of 30 grain Bergers out of a sako 75 the powder was h380 @3600 fps. Used it for p dogs, fox, and coyote. I was happy with the results. Woodchuck den sells a variety of heavy bullets for the .17. I have shot his 30 gr boatails in my model 7 with 748 powder they shot nicely.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
"(Or is that just another memory I have- like some others- that just ain’t so?)"

Definitely happens to me.

Has anyone tried CFE 223 for either 20 or 25 grain loads? Hodgdon shows top velocity for this with the 25. But I have heard reports that one way it reduces copper fowling is by leaving a sooty residue in the barrel. Supposedly this doesn't harden like the usual carbon build up and allegedly lubricates the bullet. Any first hand experience? This powder is available but can't find any 4320 locally.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

504 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 40 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.