Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Hi all, first post here after lurking for quite some time. I had the fortune several months ago of picking up a crazy deal on a Ruger No. 1A in .30-06 from an aquantances husbands estate. It's a beautiful early 70s gun with a period correct Redfield Widefield 3-9x. I've always wanted one of these works of art. The problem is that I don't hunt any big game, just varmint/ predator when I get the chance, which isn't often. Aside from punching .30 cal holes in paper, I'm not sure I have much use for the gun. I've heard of folks using 125 or even 110 grain loads on smaller critters, but I can't find any locally and I'm not set up the reload .30-06 yet. What's a guy to do, keep it and try to make it work, or trade it for another No. 1 in a more suitable caliber? Your opinions are appreciated.

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A .30-06 is at home as a deer, bear & elk rifle.

I've popped varmints off and on with one, but there are much better cartridges for that purpose. If you're not going to hunt big game, why keep the big game rifle? I say trade it off for something you'll use for your varmint shooting.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My $.02
It certainly sounds like you need (and want) another rifle. That said, you'll get a lot more money for it by selling outright, especially if it's an early '70s gun as you say. These had Douglas barrels, a truly adjustable trigger and usually nicer wood that was fitted with more care.
Gunshops, which usually can't tell the difference between early (more desirable/collectible) No. 1s and one made yesterday, will only allow you a bare minimum on a trade.
Good luck - BTW, what you need is a 1V in 223

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this thread is worthless without pitchers grin

seriously, a good number of people (me included) collect the early Rugers. I have a Liberty 1B that belonged to Dad. The wood is so-so, but it shoots very well, and hits some impressive velocities with its 26" barrel.

What serial number is it? You can x out the last two or three digits. We can tell you what year it was made, from Ruger's website.

The 1A in .30-06 is a pretty darn nice, all-around rifle.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
this thread is worthless without pitchers grin

Yep, pitchers is always good

IC B2

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I will do my best to get a few photos here soon. I appreciate all of the advice. The hard part is bringing myself to sell it. From the same estate I also managed to get a B78 in .25-06 and an old Wickliffe 76 Deluxe in .22-250 (as well as several other nice firearms) but as nice as those rifles are, and as perfect as the Wickliffe is for varmint hunting, it just isn't as nice as a Ruger No.1. It's also several pounds heavier. I guess I should just be happy with what I have, but then what fun would that be? I might have to become a Ruger No.1 or general falling block collector....

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I thought you would have said

"Yep, pitchers is allas good"

Rich

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
http://s1360.photobucket.com/user/ffbigdawg/library/Ruger%20No%201A

I have no idea how to post pictures directly to the page, so let's try this. A few shots of the Ruger, and the Ruger with the Wickliffe and my Model 70 in 225 winchester.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Because the .30/06 is good for a great many types of hunting... and that you MAY someday wish to go hunting. Your .30/06 will serve you well on just about ANY "big game" other than the grizzly, Alaskan brown bear or polar bear...i.e., your .30/06 is a fine caliber for all the other big game animals in the New World given the best available bullet weight for the intended game and the highest-velocity cartridge which some cartridge manufacturers make available these days.

I've seen some "specialized" .30/06 cartridges having much higher muzzle velocities than the standard .30/06 cartridge making your .30/06 as powerful as the highly-regarded .300 H&H Magnum which has been and still are used for even the largest big game like grizzly bears and such.

You can use any of several 110 grain .30 caliber "varmint" bullets in your .30/06... or you could simply buy another rifle in a much less powerful, hard-kicking caliber like the .22/250 or even the smaller .223 or even a .222 which are all very accurate and have no real noticeable recoil.

Other choices could be any of a large number of .224 or .243 caliber varmint-type cartridges now available on today's market.

And even if you never wanna shoot a deer or any other big game, you would undoubted enjoy the camaraderie of a good deer camp.

At the very least, this is something to think about before you make ANY decision! smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ffbigdawg

I have no idea how to post pictures directly to the page, so let's try this. A few shots of the Ruger, and the Ruger with the Wickliffe and my Model 70 in 225 winchester.

For serial number 130-410xx it would be 1977 mfg. See Ruger's chart here:

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-No1.html

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
I thought you would have said

"Yep, pitchers is allas good"

Rich
Didn't want to get too down-home folksy ;-)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Originally Posted by ffbigdawg

For serial number 130-410xx it would be 1977 mfg. See Ruger's chart here:

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-No1.html

Ok, NOT an early '70s gun. That colors things a little differently. By sometime in 1977, Ruger had gone to the 2-screw trigger, added the stupid warning on the barrel and switched to Wilson barrels with some having questionable QC.
Still a nice rifle. . . .for someone.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 06/19/15.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a No. 1V in 22-250 Rem I would be happy to trade . I have only shot it a few times but with good reloads with 50 gr. bullets It shoots under an inch. I have no luck putting pics on the net. I you have a smart phone send me a no. and I will send you a pic. 1-614-5605050

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thank you everyone for your replies. Being new to Ruger ownership with the exception of a 10/22, it's nice being able to learn from my peers here. Hopefully I can someday return the favor with some knowledge of my own.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Text message inbound ChuckK

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Trust me, if you let any of those single shots go, you will forever regret it. Those are three of the best.

Get some managed recoil loads for the '06 and enjoy it until you really think it over, for maybe 10 years or so. When you get ready to start reloading, you can make your own, or you can get some good cast bullets and some 5744 or Trail Boss and have yourself a time. When you decide you want to start hunting, as you surely will, you will be very well fixed.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Thanks everyone for all of your replies and advice. I'm in the process of working out a trade for a 1V in .22-250 with ChuckK. I just can't see haning onto a gun I won't shoot. I have an old Safari Grade Browning in .30-06 if I ever decide to try big game. I'm really falling for these falling block rifles though, especially the styling of the Ruger. And since the likely hood of coming across another Wickliffe 76 Deluxe is unlikely, I think I may try to pickup a few more No.1s in calibers that I shoot or at least want to try. I saw a stainless laminate in .204 on gunbroker that caught my eye, maybe that one will be next. Thanks again for all of the input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Soooo, if you wanted to sell, put a price on it. Or you could auction it off on this site. I think you'd get top dollar here,

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just something to think about. Ruger ain't making standard runs anymore, just limited editions for Lipsey's.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A Ruger parts rep told me last week that Lipsey's actually bought the line outright from Ruger. The phrase he used was "bought the patent".

Maybe we'll be seeing the Lipsey Number One, built by Ruger, soon.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,759 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.